How can people be so damn cruel!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Vedder

Refugee
:( I'm sorry I need a place to just rant and let out all this anger right now. I'm currently working at a children insititution for abused children.. Sometimes I feel like I can't handle this job, because it's so sad to see children hurt so bad to the point where they can't trust anyone. Just playing a game... they constantly tell me "I'm sorry I won't do it again please don't hurt me" My gawd, I swear I just lose it and excuse myself to go and cry. I dont understand how people can be so damn cruel to their own children. It's like why the fuck did you bring children into this world if you are just going to hurt them like that. It pisses me off so much and it angers me. I just want to sometimes beat the crap out of the parents... because they have no idea what they have done to their children.

Anyway, today I got this phone call from the children center telling me to get there right away. This little boy, age 7, was brought to the center because they're have been charges against his parents for child abuse.... and the parents were being investigated.... I worked with this kid and he just broke my heart.... but he kept improving and being more social and participating in games and activities..... well, a week ago, the police let the parents go and dropped the abuse charges and the little boy was sent back home to them. :( Well, today as I got home I got a phone call that he was back at the center and was crying hysterically for a social worker that works with him and myself..... OMG when I saw him I just broke down.... he was beaten severely. I just felt so hopeless and so damn mad ....... I just can't believe people can be so damn cruel. I mean, he's just a child.. a child! Just the sight of him crying in my arms and all his bruises and the fear in his eyes of never wanting to home again just made me so damn ANGRY!

And I feel so horrible because now, this poor child is going to go through the whole legal system and would probably end up going from foster home to foster home. IT'S NOT FAIR. :( I just want to beat senseless all those parents and people who abuse innocent and helpless children. It's not fair! God I feel so awful! Sorry guys, just needed a place to vent. And lately getting back into posting again at interference has helped me deal with this horrible reality at work. I don't think my friends and Fam realize just how much this job really gets to me, but I do love what I do. :sad: I just feel crappy right now.

:(
There aren't answers.
There is nothing that can make you feel better.
Nothing that can make this end.
Its an ongoing cycle.
When it happens to 1000 children, its a statistic. When it happens to one child, its a tragedy.
There is so little one person can do as well. The law is so hopelessly flawed. I'm not sure where you live matie, but I have figured it is the same in most of the developed world, assuming you are in one of those countries too.

Just one more tragedy.
I kinda took that above statement about stats out of context, it was origianlly used to desribe starvation in the 3rd world, yet I think it applies to most circumstances in the welfare state re: children. 1000's of individual fucked up tragedies.
Its ok to lose faith sometimes. Its a damn screwed up world sometimes. Thats why I left welfare.

Hug this child and tell him you care. It is so little and so much. it is all you can do.

Take care.

After reading your post I think I'm going to cry now... This is just too sad.

A friend of mine is a victim of abuse when she was younger. Both she and her little brother were being beaten constantly. Her mother was mentally unstable and her mother and her father always yelled at each other. That time she oftens calls me after being beaten and it was so heart-breaking to hear she cries... :( Her parents are now divorced and I think it's much better for her and her brother.

Her case is not even extreme yet it's already so heart-breaking for me. I couldn't imagine what if I was one of them. I think you're so brave that you can face these poor little kids every day and help them. If I were you, I think all I know to do is cry and cry.*hugs Evolution* Send some hugs to the kids for me... :(

The world we live in has few redeeming qualities...and sometimes I just feel like giving up on the human race, its quite an ugly race...

Moments like that I suggest you just go for a walk. SOmewhere quite...away from the city....in nature.

*hugs*

It makes me so angry to see adults abuse children who can't defend themselves.

I am so glad that there is a caring person like you there to help these children through, what is undoubtedly, the darkest moment of their lives.

I am certain you have made a positive impact on so many children.

these poor children, what they have to grow up through and the scars it will leave on them, my God. I don't know how you do it, but remember that you are giving them the love they need so desperately, and as sick and fucked up as parents like that are, there are always the ones like yourself to carry those little ones when there is very little else left for them. I really admire you being able to do that, and as far as I'm concerned you can fill a whole forum if you need to do that to get it off your chest.

I don't think parents who are able to do that are even human.

Your job must be very difficult at times.

This makes me appreciate my childhood tremendously.

Sicy said:
Your job must be very difficult at times.

This makes me appreciate my childhood tremendously.

I agree.

One of my "friends" from high school had a boyfriend who had two children, a little girl and a little boy. They would hit them and throw them down the stairs...the kids were always bruised. They smoked pot in front of them and gave them alcohol!!! I used to volunteer to baby-sit for free because I was so happy for time I knew they wouldn't be in any danger. Another friend of mine and I reported them to the police, but they didn't do anything. I still wonder about those kids every so often...wonder if they are okay. :(

aaaw thats so sad :(

I think you are very brave doing this job- most ppl couldnt do it :up:

Re: Serious posts with a naked guy at the bottom are difficult to read

Thanks guys for letting me rant and for your kind words. I really felt horrible lastnight and was just angry. I did take a walk early this morning and just cleared my head. It's hard not to let things bother me outside my job. I'm only human. It was hard seeing him today, he just looked so sad and didn't want to participate with the rest of the kids in any games or arts and crafts. All I could do was just give him a big hug. It still broke my heart though.

I dunno, this whole year has been a great learning experience.... This whole semester I worked with "At-Risk" Youth...... the challenges they brought to me, really made me strong. I learned so much from them too.... it's a cruel world for children sometimes.... these poor kids are labeled by society as "trouble makers" but in reality if you just take the time to listen to them and talk to them.... they show you that they are great intelligent kids. Now, working with abuse children its another great challenge... but I do like what I do very much. I think this year I've found as they say "my calling" in life... I want to work with children who need love, understanding, and just someone for them to be there.

Ok, *takes a deep breath* thanks for listening! I truly appreciate it! :)

If you didn't feel sad about what you saw on your job, I would be worried about you. I bet it's pretty easy for counselors (and doctorts) to get desensitized to the terrible things they see on their job.

Feeling the way you do is a sign that you're in the right profession and that you love what you do

Everyone else already said this, but that is pretty sad and you deserve a reward for taking up such a helpful job like that. I guess it angers me sometimes (especially lately) when someone would complain about some petty little problem like "its hot in here" or "its really cold in here" or "I hate life" when they really got it all well laid out for them in life while many, many others (children have to be the most defenseless, stepped on people of the world) suffer, yet they don't complain. You see some Africa photos of children there, and they have no clothes, sometimes no food or water, yet they smile for the cameraman and over here we all bitch about the humidity or how we have to pay the bills.

Well I better stop preaching. I hope you enjoyed my two cents worth.
I'm glad you're feeling better and you really deserve a reward when you take up a job to help others like that.

P.S. have you seen Vedder's mohawk? It's awesome.

JessicaAnn said:
If you didn't feel sad about what you saw on your job, I would be worried about you. I bet it's pretty easy for counselors (and doctorts) to get desensitized to the terrible things they see on their job.

Feeling the way you do is a sign that you're in the right profession and that you love what you do

I agree totally

I've been wondering the same thing lately.

Some of you may recall a few weeks ago when I had Jury Duty. I couldn't talk about it then, but I wasn't picked to be on the jury so I guess I can talk about it now. The case that I had Jury Duty for was a Capital Murder case. A father had killed his young son. I can't recall the age of the child, but the child was under 5 years old. Yesterday on the news they reported on the trial. They said one of the jurors got sick after he saw the pictures of the child's injuries. I'm so thankful I didn't get chosen for the jury. I don't think I could have sat through that either.

Tonight on the news they reported that in a small town near Dallas, a mother killed herself and 2 of her children after she and her husband were getting divorced.

Sometimes I wonder what this world is coming to.

:sad: :( :sad: :(

ABEL said:
I've been wondering the same thing lately.

Some of you may recall a few weeks ago when I had Jury Duty. I couldn't talk about it then, but I wasn't picked to be on the jury so I guess I can talk about it now. The case that I had Jury Duty for was a Capital Murder case. A father had killed his young son. I can't recall the age of the child, but the child was under 5 years old. Yesterday on the news they reported on the trial. They said one of the jurors got sick after he saw the pictures of the child's injuries. I'm so thankful I didn't get chosen for the jury. I don't think I could have sat through that either.

Tonight on the news they reported that in a small town near Dallas, a mother killed herself and 2 of her children after she and her husband were getting divorced.

Sometimes I wonder what this world is coming to.

:( Oh My, that is so sad! I always ask myself how people can be so heartless to take the life of another human being.... especially that of a child. Just like that five year old girl, who was found dead/:sad: I just get so upset at cases like this.

Thanks everyone for listening and sharing your stories! It meant a lot. I'm ok but it's still hard to see these children suffer so much. :(

Back
Top Bottom