ZooTV One vs Popmart/Elevation/Vertigo One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I have meaning to post about this for a long time, and a conversation I had in another thread last night reminded me of it so I'm finally doing it.

I have always noticed this difference between the way U2 performed 'One' during ZooTV and they way they performed it on every subsequent tour after that. It has to do with the 'and I can't be holding on to what you got when all you got is hurt' line. During ZooTV, the melody Bono sang for that line was identical to the album version of 'One'. But the melody he sang for that line during Popmart/Elevation/Vertigo is different. I have taken the time of making a snippet of this line from the official release of the song from each tour...these are small files so they'll download in a second. I'm just curious if:

A: You perfer the ZooTV version or the Popmart/Elevation/Vertigo version

B: If the change makes any difference to you at all

C: If you have noticed this before I brought it up

D: If you have any idea why he changed the way he sang it

Without further ado...

One Snippet - ZooTV - http://tinyurl.com/9ejzf
One Snippet - Popmart - http://tinyurl.com/8b3vm
One Snippet - Elevation Tour - http://tinyurl.com/anhn2
One Snippet - Vertigo Tour - http://tinyurl.com/b544j

namkcuR said:

I'm guessing that he grew tired of it after Zoo. After that, there are a few highlight performances, such as the one (no pun intended!) in Sarajevo. But, for the most part, I think it's become the obligatory anthem that the world expects to hear.

My guess is that his voice just changed after the Zoo TV tour and he wasn't able to sing certain songs in certain keys and melodies ever since?

Hmmm... interesting. I think I prefer the album/Zoo TV way.

It's probable I would say that he just changed it around to freshen it up. Songs "evolve" over the years, and Bono will probably make slight changes that will make the song better in his opinion.

Although I don't think it's a question of his voice not being able for it, as neither bit seems particularly difficult for a singer of Bono's stature!

I think that the ZooTV version is the worse one... It sounds so... raw and emotionless while played, can't explain why but that's what I feel.
On the other hand, Popmart and Elevation versions are very good, well worked and better arrangements than before.
I love too the version played at Live8. One of my favourites.

One Died on the last PopMart Concert, and I do really enjoy the song, But when I saw them play it (6 times) on the Vertigo Tour (+1 rehearsal) apart from opening night I thought it was just boring.

Aygo said:
I think that the ZooTV version is the worse one... It sounds so... raw and emotionless while played, can't explain why but that's what I feel.
On the other hand, Popmart and Elevation versions are very good, well worked and better arrangements than before.
I love too the version played at Live8. One of my favourites.

I disagree, I think the ZooTV version is more emotionally satisfying than the other versions.

bono_man2002 said:
One Died on the last PopMart Concert, and I do really enjoy the song, But when I saw them play it (6 times) on the Vertigo Tour (+1 rehearsal) apart from opening night I thought it was just boring.

And this has what to do with my questions?

I think the Zoo TV version is better.The change has a lot to do with his voice changing over the years.
(By the way can you please post the full version of the popmart version of one?)

A) I like the ZooTV version the most, because I like the higher melody as is recorded

B) It makes a difference. I like the higher melody... it makes Bono sound more emotional.

C) I notice every change Bono makes in melodies live

D) for variety! anyone who sings in a band likes to change the melody up a little bit. Bono has sang One probably over 500 times. He probably would get bored doing it the same every night. Its probably because he either likes his new version of it, or he just likes changing it up and keeping it fresh. Sometimes when he is singing he probably isnt even thinking he is just feeling the song... and that is how he gets his lyrics messed up sometimes and different melodies. Its amazing. I would hate to hear a 'robotic' singer that has no improv abilty.

Nice work on taking all those clips!

i like that he changed it too [meaning i like the Elevation/Vertigo version]. i like also that the Edge changed the ending melody a bit to a higher more emotional one <3
it shows that he doesn't just crank out the tunes like a jukebox, and maybe shows that he sings what he feels at the time =)

david said:
My guess is that his voice just changed after the Zoo TV tour and he wasn't able to sing certain songs in certain keys and melodies ever since?

It's not like it's a particularly high note. :huh: Even I can sing the line just like in the album version, which, to me beats everything else in the history of time! :wink:

One. :heart:

ZOOTV by far, always sang so well and followed by "Unchained Melody" most nights and "She's a mystery to me" others, always great!!!

A: You perfer the ZooTV version or the Popmart/Elevation/Vertigo version

I prefer Popmart/Elevation/Vertigo. Popmart/ Elevation era have some my favorite One performances of all time. For example Popmart Mexico with Bono's dedication to Micheal Hutchence and his voice cracking, and Slane Castle DVD One, the Millenium Ball One w/Daniel Lanois.

B: If the change makes any difference to you at all
C: If you have noticed this before I brought it up

No difference, I actually had not noticed before I read this thread.

:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom