ZooTV II?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
A comment I made in another thread got me thinking...

Most of us realize what sheer brilliance ZooTV was. In my opinion, this was the best tour by any band, ever.

To me, what made ZooTV so brilliant was that it was more than a concert. The characters, costumes, theatrics, video screens, everything, just all melded into some brilliant thing that I'm not sure any words can describe.

We now have the Sydney video which is an excellent souvenir. However, many of us didn't get to see any ZooTV shows live.

I dare say that most people would not object to ZooTV II. I know I wouldn't. They gave us the stripped-down tour with Elevation. Now it's time for them to go back to the big, loud, overblown extravaganzas. Yeah, it probably wouldn't live up to the first ZooTV tour, but it would still be excellent to see something like this. If this new album is really the "rocker" we've been promised, I think it would fit nicely.

I realize this is probably never going to happen, but I'm wondering what others think.

Would you be opposed to ZooTV II?

Yes.

I don't like spectacles. I go to hear the music. The last tour was just what I was hoping for: a great band playing great music. I don't need or want all the costumes, special effects, or theatrics. Just play great songs live and make them even better than the studio version.

but they never repeat themselves.....

that's the whole deal with them.

ZooTV was great. They needed to do the big stadium tour and multimedia overload thing once.

But they don't need to do it again. Stadium tours are ridiculous. I've never been to one, but I have to wonder if half the people there can even see the band. And the multimedia overload was right in 1992 and 1993 but not now. And making a sequel of a tour is a dumb idea to begin with.

Last edited:
ZooTV was something else. Even if they wanted to, I dont think they could repeat it. I think it was the best concert I have ever been too, but I have never been a fan of a band as much as I have been of U2. I have never been squashed against a railing in the front row surrounded by 110,000 others who feel exactly the same way. I have never seen the sweat dripping from an artist's face with as much passion and commitment.
I have never been that blown away by an event in my life.

ZTVII - Bring it on.

Although Zootv and Popmart tours were great to actually see (I saw both) I think they got it right with the Elevation tour, not as much gimmickery but enough to keep us entertained visually as well as being more intimate in the smaller arenas rather then stadiums, I for one would be very happy to see a kind of Elevation II rather then Zootv again, just hope the next tour is arenas and not stadiums!

martha said:
Yes.

I don't like spectacles. I go to hear the music. The last tour was just what I was hoping for: a great band playing great music. I don't need or want all the costumes, special effects, or theatrics. Just play great songs live and make them even better than the studio version.

as big as Zoo TV was, after the opening of Zoo Station you tended to ignore the rest of the set and the only thing visible to you was the band.

The bigger the better I say

Musically and visually Popmart and ZooTV were amazing. When i think of U2 live I think of the Zoo Station intro, the Roy Liechtenstein BTBS animation or the Lemon etc.

The Elevation to me came across as U2 'sucking up', trying to please everyone and entice back whoever they lost in the 90's. Popmart and ZooTv are more believable to me, as it was U2 doing what they wanted.

I hope to see U2 in a stadium on the next tour, as it is more memorable than the same old arenas.

ZOO TV was a visual delight, especially Bono looking like this:

ab9.jpg

If they'd do it again, I would be happy. I'd rather they do that again and 'repeat themselves' than do something new that I don't like.

It would be cool to be able to experience Zoo TV, but I don't really WANT U2 to repeat themselves. I'm sure they can come up with something just as great for the next tour.

I missed Zoo TV by being in a wedding and could kick myself for not catching it in another city. I've always felt if I could rewind and go back in time that is one of the things I would want to experience but to have them come back and do it over again in 2004 no I dont want to see that. ZooTV was perfect for the moment and the place they were at then. We will have to see what they have planned for where they are now.

I did get to see Popmart and loved it and the spectacle but at the same time I loved Elevation and felt that without all of the extras the music seemed to reach the soul more since that was what was front and center.

Last edited:
U2 won't do a Zoo TV II. They can't afford it financially. They are no longer the stadium band they once were (see the 3rd leg attendance of Popmart to prove that). Sure they can fill stadiums most of the time, but they're aging and aren't as "hot" as they were back in `92. They need to fill up stadiums and tour many many dates and venues just to break even with the humongous costs in setting up such an extravaganza. Why go the Zoo TV route when you can do the budget Elevation route and get more net profit?

Cheers,

J

i think there's no need to repeat zoo tv.it had its time and now it's time for them to do something else.the only thing i hope is them doing stadiums again becouse i think that their music sounds best in big open spaces. there's nothing like 'streets' being played in front of 50 000 people under a sky full of stars.

hey don't get me wrong, I will go to stadium gigs, but having experienced U2 in both stadiums and arenas theres a certain intimate atmosphere that seems to get lost in stadiums... as mindblowing as the visuals were for zootv and popmart! Have to admit one part in Popmart at Wembley stadium, I'm stood on the pitch with a gentle summer breeze blowing over me and had a overwhelming sense that the tunnel effect on the big screen during "Streets" was actually sucking me in! lol

I'm a ZooTV *fanatic*. I loved the whole thing, the combination of the visual with the audial was brilliant. I'd hate it if they did it *again* however. U2 never do the same thing twice. That's what I love about them. After the JT tour nobody in hell would have imagined that the next tour would be ZooTV. I didn't. At first the whole thing flipped me out and it took me awhile to appreciate it. So I really would not want a ZooTV II as much as I loved ZooTV.

Zoo TV was of the times.....shit being broadcast everwhere from anywhere. U2 would see very old if they were to duplicate.

I don't care whether there'd be ZooTV Deux or not... As long as they have a B-side stage!!!

MTV would live too much on this.

they should call the new tour the "Fuck MTV Tour" and show Brittany Spears, Nelly, and Justin Timberlake videos on a big screen with big red X's over them while U2 plays their music.

it might educate the teeny boppers who go to U2 shows just to hear songs like Beautiful Day, and Stuck In A Moment.

One thing I think U2 can do for the next is mix in some Stadium shows. I saw the Rolling Stones last tour twice, once in an arena and another time in a stadium. I do enjoy arena shows very much, but stadium shows are just huge events. I miss the Popmart and think U2 could fill up some stadiums with at least 50,000. If they keep ticket prices around $30-$60 shows will fill up. The Stones were charging $300 for floor seats at a stadium which is stupid. I don't care who you are, unless you play your entire discography, no band is worth that much. Any which way U2 will have an awesome tour.

Out of all the different videos I've seen and such, I'd like to see something like what's on the UABRS video. That looks like the kind of show I'd enjoy.

I'd go to a U2 concert to hear four guys making some of the best music in the world. I don't go for the spectacle - it may be neat, but I want to see U2.

I go to a concert not only for the music, but for the spectacle. So bring on the huge shows!

That was one of the reasons I liked the Coldplay show I went to... the lighting. It was amazing, added a whole new element.

post zootv II or return stadium

I?d love to see a Zootv II. I missed the fist one but just watching Sydney concert was a jaw dropping experience. WOW! It turned me into a hardcore u2 fan. But looking at U2?s track record of not repeating themselves it doesn?t look good for something too similar. But that doesn?t mean that they won?t do something big. U2 are revolutionaries and I believe they enjoy being on the cutting edge of new technology. I think it?s time that they do something big again. I recently saw a movie called The Good Thief (Bono sings the song That?s Life throughout it) there was a character who was a guitar player and he had a system in which every guitar note activated / created a laser beam. And these beams of light formed random patterns. It was really cool to see. Imagine even different laser colors and in a stadium setting with the star lit sky as a canvas! Also I remember reading some time ago that Edge was looking into a lighting system that would do just this - coincide with his guitar strumming! The next tour could be Electrical (lighting / lightening) Storm!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom