Zooropa vs. Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saxgoddess

The Fly
Okay, well these are the only two U2 albums that I don't have, and I want to get one of the two right now. So which one do you think is better? Pop? Zooropa? I honestly don't know, because I not extremely familiar to the 90's era U2.

Do you know the singles from these albums? Maybe that can help you.

I prefer Zooropa.

Pop is a phenomenal album. Zooropa is a very brave, experimental effort with some fantastic songs, but there are a few dull ones in there(Babyface). So, I have to go with Pop here...

It's so hard to choose! But like djerdap said, their are one or two snoozers on Zooropa (mainly Babyface). And The Wanderer, while lyrically brilliant, just doesn't belong on a U2 album. I wish Bono could have just sung the damn thing and not given Johnny Cash the reigns. :madspit:

So, because of that, I'll have to say Pop. Just don't write off Zooropa completely, because it is a good album.

PoP is pitch-f&$^ing black... and I love it. But it's musically, and even moreseo lyrically, a very invovled album. Zooropa's got a quirky, space/aquatic ambience to it that's really nice, too, though.

My vote is for Pop. :)

I gots to go with Pop; I think that it's just as good as The Joshua Tree and, depending on my mood, maybe even just a little bit better. I'll let it be known that I think Zooropa is every bit as good as The Unforgettable Fire. Those two albums take the number four and number five spots on my list...but they often jockey back and forth for position.

Achtung Baby is number one; just wanted to give you some idea of my overall taste, so that you can contextualize my opinion. So you know, I think the best advice I can give you would be to simply BUY BOTH!!

Pop is almost a masterpiece if not a masterpiece

Zooropa is on another level, its not conventional music.. the only recognizable U2 track on there is Stay... the rest is really hard to get into, this definately would be the last U2 album that I would *try* to get into... I have to admit though, after watching Zoo TV from Sydney a couple of times I'm starting to get into Dirty Day, and I think that might lead me to liking the rest of the album (except numb, i dont think i could ever like this song.. and lemon is love/hate for me)

I agree, Pop is completely and totally U2's darkest album, and completes the Achtung Baby-Zooropa-Pop trilogy with night falling and only a dead man to hope on.

I think I would look at the singles to see which you like more, but I would personally recommend Pop over Zooropa (though I love both) :shrug:

go chronologically
its always a great choice for various reasons
zooropa
then
pop

Given that you eventually HAVE to buy both... I would suggest listening to AB a few times and then just purchase Zooropa & Pop in the sequence they were released... I like to see Zooropa as a wonderful weird album that U2 made after their die-hard fans give them permission to... ie; Achtung/ZooTV was received amazingly well so they were free to make an amazing quick spur-of the moment record that really captured the moment... POP can be better appreciated on its own I think!

Enjoy! :wink:

Zooropa. I agree with another poster: buy Zooropa, then before you listen, listen to Achtung Baby all the way through. Then pop in Zooropa, and listen straight through.

When you have the money/time to buy Pop, go buy it and listen all the way through.

Since you are unfamiliar with their 90s work, I think it would be beneficial to listen to the three chronologically to see the growth/change that takes place.

-Miggy

This is like choosing between ultimate wealth or ultimate power. It's quite a tough choice, but I'm going to have to pick ultimate power (Zooropa).

Zooropa, but like others have warned, it's not accessible. When I first heard it, I disliked it immensely. But now I think it's one of the band's better albums.

POP is great, but I think it falls short on the execution of the ideas behind some of the songs. I get the feeling that Zooropa ended being exactly what the band envisioned for it.

Zooropa is a more complete album IMO, not just collection of songs like PoP

AquariumDrinker said:
Zooropa, but like others have warned, it's not accessible. When I first heard it, I disliked it immensely. But now I think it's one of the band's better albums.

I feel the same way.

I think that while Zooropa wasn't as immediately accessible as Pop, it is a more cohesive album, which makes sense as Pop was never finished the way the band would have liked it to have been.

Pop, I fing the songs more....listenable (is that a word?)
Although Zooropa is more daring and special because it's unique (like all U2 albums, so what am I on about?) I can't love it as much as Pop. But, you're gunna have to get them both eventually anyway, so it's really up to you.

Ugh...there is no comparison.

Zooropa wins by a mile...better concept, better image, better videos, better tour, better songs, better album cover...I could go on for days...

Back
Top Bottom