Zooropa vs. Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i second that.

Zooropa. An absolutley superb album with U2's two greatest songs 'Zooropa' and 'Lemon'. I've never got over how good the album is, plus it wins by default since 'Pop's pretty dull despite it being spoken with such royal regard round here for whatever reason..

Guys, this thread is ancient! I'm sure the person has already chosen by now.

Zooropa is my personal prefrence. I think it is more experimental and it includes Stay, which Bono says is his favorite song that he's written.

Zooropa has Stay on it, end of argument.

But... Pop has such a poor second half, with only Please and Gone helping it up. And then Mofo and LNOE are the only really good songs on the first half, the rest are generally OK.

Now Zooropa on the other hand has brilliant songs all over the place. Zooropa, awesome intro. Babyface, alright, but very underrated. Numb, good tune, but I thought the Best of version was better... (Don't shoot me!) Lemon is awesome. Stay is..., well it's Stay, isn't it?

Daddy's Gonna Pay is OK, much better live though. Some Days makes me want to punch Bono. "Some days you can't stand the sight of a puppy", what the hell is that? Then you have the First Time, Dirty Day and the Wanderer, all of which are brilliant.

In fact, Pop really is a substandard album, monumentally overrated on these boards. Whether it's because it was universally panned, or becuase many fans haven't heard most of the tracks (the "Mercy syndrome"). Maybe people actually like it? Nah...

Zooropa = WINNAR.

Zooropa = A concept album

Pop = the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts

your whole isn't greater than your parts, azor. your whole isn't greater than your parts.

i'm actually looking deep into your eyes, guys. i'm actually looking deep into your eyes.

I don't see much contradiction. POP is FAR better.

BUT I would suggest that you go in order so you can understand U2's journey. That's half of the fun! You have Zooropa. Next Buy Passengers. Then POP, then Million Dollar Hotel.

Zooropa has one the best ballads U2 has ever written i.e. Stay (Faraway, so Close). On the other hand Pops "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" comes a close forth! (I say forth coz U2s best ballad of all time is With or with out You! And "One" holds the number 2 position. :wink: ) My advise would be to buy Zooropa and buy the singles from Pop coz e.g. the single version of Please is far superior to the one on the album.:hmm:

GibsonGirl said:
GibsonGirl said:
Guys, this thread is ancient! I'm sure the person has already chosen by now.
we heard you the first time ;) nothing wrong with another discussion on how weak Pop is compared to Zooropa. :wink:

Can't have one without the other.
They complete the whole set.

1. Achtung, Baby
2. Zooropa
3. Pop

Splurge and get them both and then listen to all three in order.

Back
Top Bottom