Zooropa vs Da Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa vs Da Bombdiggity

• Zooropa

Votes: 114 47.9%
  • How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Votes: 124 52.1%

• Total voters
Earnie Shavers said:

Pfft... there's more performance and higher quality in the Sydney ZooTV Lemon than the entire Chicago DVD. Bomb songs, Achtung songs or otherwise.

Sure, sure.

damnit... zooropa is losing in yet another poll... do you not realize the brilliance of this album?

I have been reading this forum for several months before I decided to post, and it always amuses me how much people try and defend certain songs or albums.

It makes for great debate, but I never get why people can't accept that others have different preferences or taste? Would you rather everyone liked Zooropa and U2 made Zooropa-like music forever? Everyone liked the same women, food?

From what I see, one aspect of Zooropa which people like is its experimental nature, but if that experiment were to be repeated, it would be just like going "back to 90s basics", just like going "back to 80s basics" with ATYCLB.
Experimentation can either be judged relative to the artists other work, or towards music in general, in which case I would say Zooropa isn't so experimental versus either anymore. Plenty of people now use samples and distorted effects even if the song writing isn't as good.

Zooropa by far!

The Bomb is a more consistant album, but Zooropa has Zooropa, Lemon, Stay, Dirty Day and The First Time.

The Bomb only has a couple songs that good!

Zooropa < Vertigo
Babyface < Miracle Drug
Numb < Sometimes
Lemon < Love and Peace or Else
Stay > City
Daddy's Gonna Pay < All Because of You
Some Days > A Man and a Woman
The First Time < Crumbs
Dirty Day > One Step Closer
The Wanderer < Original of the Species
And I'm not a big Yahweh fan so....

Bomb - 7, Zooropa - 3

Zooropa is tied w/ October for my least favorite U2 album, and Bomb is tied for 2nd w/ Joshua Tree.

No, I don't want another Zooropa. I think when people say they'd "like another Zooropa" they mean another carefree, inspired album as it was, but not another actual Zooropa sounding album.

Zooropa > Vertigo
Babyface < Miracle Drug
Numb > Sometimes
Lemon >Love and Peace or Else
Stay > City
Daddy's Gonna Pay > All Because of You
Some Days > A Man and a Woman
The First Time < Crumbs
Dirty Day > One Step Closer
The Wanderer> Original of the Species

Bomb - 2, Zooropa - 8

Such an interesting thread... I've always been a fan of the rating ones because I find it fascinating how we "rate" art/music/literature. But that just might be the aesthetics lectures talking.

Anyway, onto my thoughts.

I'll defend the AB-Zooropa-Pop triology to the end, and I definitely favor the 90s over any other U2 period. That said, I am also a "recent" obsessive fan, and HTDAAB was the first album I went out and bought at midnight, and played to an extent that was ludicrous that first month or so. (I think the playcount on my iPod went well past 60 or 70 plays for every song save A Man and A Woman).

I voted for Zooropa for many reasons, but I agree with a lot of what's been said already. I think Bomb is overproduced, but I think a lot of the songs translated well live (which obviously didn't work so well with Zooropa, although I believe that was due more to timing and lack of rehearsal). I can't stand A Man and A Woman. I just... can't do it. Also, the lyric "Freedom has a scent, like the top of a newborn baby's head" will make me laugh every time. The lyrics and concepts behind Zooropa are much stronger, as has been previously stated.

I feel like part of my reasoning also comes with the fact that I had serious expectations for Bomb, and I got some strange results. It was not quite the "rock" album that I was expecting... All Because of You, Vertigo, Fast Cars, and Love and Peace or Else... yes, but then I snooze through One Step Closer, and to be perfectly frank, Crumbs and OOTS (which, don't get me wrong, are amazing live, and I do like them, but they're not strong in my opinion).

Zooropa has many more of my "favorite" songs (i.e. the ones that go on mixes, the ones that go on repeat, and the ones I go crazy nuts for in a bootleg): Lemon, Stay, Wanderer, whereas Bomb has Sometimes and Yahweh.

It is a close call, but Zooropa does win. I'd be curious though if this question was asked a year or two later of me, to see how my opinions on Bomb have changed, because I do think time plays a part in my opinion.

/ramble

shaun vox said:
zooropa has better vocals and lyrics!!
the songs are better duh!!
OH AND THE MUSIC VIDEOS FOR LEMON, STAY AND NUMB PISS ALL OVER "DA BOMB" VIDEOS!!

ZOOROPA!!

I dunno, I think Sometimes is a pretty amazing video. That opera part, the Bono shirt... :drool:

That said, Vertigo? Blah. :madspit:

75-71 for the Bomb! VERY close race. There might have to be a recount.

I voted BOMB but really it's a hard choice. Hard to compare the two albums because they are so different.

I'm more surprised HTDAAB is holding up so well against Zooropa.

1 year old album holding it's own with a much romanticised 12 year old album.

MrBrau1 said:

Maybe it has something to do with the influx of new fans Interference has received with HTDAAB? :shrug: I don't know. From personal experience, it seems like a lot of fans hate Zooropa. Even here.

GibsonGirl said:

Maybe it has something to do with the influx of new fans Interference has received with HTDAAB? :shrug: I don't know. From personal experience, it seems like a lot of fans hate Zooropa. Even here.

That rather depends on what base you are talking about. I am not at all surprised Zooropa is doing so well since the majority of people here are "diehard". However this board isn't representative of the many people who enjoy U2. I have a feeling Bomb would crush Zooropa if all owners of both albums were polled. Bomb is more accessible, which counts for a lot in this fast paced world.
Of course a lot of people will "hate" Zooropa, but then I think a disproportionate number of people on Interference "hate" HTDAAB compared to the "real world".

Yep. In the 'real world' the Bomb would blow Zooropa out of the water. Way, way, way more accessible. Of course that's all relative, and the Bomb in turn would get blown out of the water by an even more accessible, straight down the line, more popular rock or rnb album.

What is a better album? The new Sigur Ros or the new Simple Plan? I'm not saying the difference between Zooropa and The Bomb is at the same level as the above two (and I'm not lining Bomb fans up with Simple Plan, it's a poorly thought out analogy), but accessibility and popularity among the real world populace is not necessarily a great judge.

In the end, The Bomb and Zooropa are at the two opposite ends of the U2 spectrum, and to see that they are virtually tied makes perfect sense to me. I would be very surprised if one streaked away from the other.

Zooropa

The first 6:30 of this album are musical heaven.

There is only one song on this album I regularly skip (Babyface).

I regularly skip half of Bomb.

If they had put Wake Up Dead Man in place of Babyface it would have been a perfect album.

MrBrau1 said:

The year old album which was heavily, heavily promoted and took over two years to record, had a catchy digestable lead single with a neat tricked up video and has brought hosts of fans to Interference and currently U2 are still touring to support it.....

Is struggling against an album that was supposed to be an EP, lightly promoted, recorded in about 15 weeks, had an obtuse lead single with a even more strange video and many of those 90's fans have migrated elsewhere since U2 become outright pop.

So yeah it is surprising.
:wink:

Honestly, I figured HTDAAB would be winning this with ease.

Last edited:
I can't stand all this Babyface hate. I LOVE it.

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who say Zooropa should've remained an EP - what songs would you have on that EP?

financeguy said:
Zooropa. HTDAAB is let down by bad production.

Don't know how you come up with that. HTDAAB blows away Zooropa....it's not even close. Like not even close. Did I mention it's not even close?

Hell, that album Target put out a few years ago U2 - 7, is light years better than Zooropa.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Don't know how you come up with that. HTDAAB blows away Zooropa....it's not even close. Like not even close. Did I mention it's not even close?

Hell, that album Target put out a few years ago U2 - 7, is light years better than Zooropa.

I remember you! You're the one who threw your Zooropa disc into the trash can :wink:

Personally I think Zooropa is Caviar while Bomb is a McDonald's Filet-O-Fish. But to each his/her own.

U2DMfan said:

So yeah it is surprising.
:wink:

Honestly, I figured HTDAAB would be winning this with ease.

You're surprised with all the bile that regularly flies around this place for the past 2 U2 records?

That what this forum is now. A complaints department.

A place to bitch about HTDAAB and ATYCLB and long for "the good ole days."

Back
Top Bottom