Zooropa vs Da Bomb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zooropa vs Da Bombdiggity

• Zooropa

Votes: 114 47.9%
  • How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Votes: 124 52.1%

• Total voters
PlaTheGreat said:
I'd have to do song by song.

Zooropa > Vertigo
Babyface < Miracle Drug
Numb > SYCMIOYO
Lemon > LAPOE
Stay > COBL
DGPFYCC < All Because of You
SDABTO > AMAAW
The First Time > Crumbs
Dirty Day > One Step Closer
The Wanderer < OOTS

This was really useless. Zooropa.

Zooropa. :drool:

That method of rating the songs is good, but I sometimes feel it's a little unfair to compare based on the tracklisting. Anything paired up with Babyface would sound good. Larry's Irish drinking songs sound better than Babyface. I usually like to rate for the purpose of comparison this way:

Zooropa - 5.0
Babyface - 2.0
Numb - 4.8
Lemon - 5.0
Stay - 4.5
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - 4.5
Some Days Are Better Than Others - 3.5
The First Time - 3.9
Dirty Day - 4.8
The Wanderer - 3.0

Average Album Rating: 4.1

Vertigo - 4.0
Miracle Drug - 3.6
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - 3.9
Love And Peace Or Else - 5.0
City Of Blinding Lights - 4.5
All Because Of You - 3.0
A Man And A Woman - 2.5
Crumbs From Your Table - 3.6
One Step Closer - 3.0
Original Of The Species - 4.5
Yahweh - 2.5

Average Album Rating: 3.6

My opinion of HTDAAB has really gone down over the last few months. They're nice songs, but they don't flow well. I still think it's ridiculous that LAPOE follows SYCMIOYO, and that Miracle Drug follows Vertigo. Some of them are great songs, individually, but some are just weak. That high you get immediately after you hear new U2 material really does skew your feelings on the songs, initially. I mean, I thought HTDAAB was U2's best album since AB in the first few weeks and months after its release. Now...not so much.

BOMB BY A LANDSLIDE!!!

Bomb is my favorite U2 album, actually it is my favorite album period. Zooropa is U2's worst album although it isn't that bad. This is really easy, vote for the BOMB!!!

GibsonGirl said:

Zooropa. :drool:

That method of rating the songs is good, but I sometimes feel it's a little unfair to compare based on the tracklisting. Anything paired up with Babyface would sound good. Larry's Irish drinking songs sound better than Babyface. I usually like to rate for the purpose of comparison this way:

Why all the Babyface hate? Am I the only one that thinks it's a GREAT song? It's catchy, interesting, experimental, fun, it's just GREAT.

My opinion of HTDAAB has really gone down over the last few months. They're nice songs, but they don't flow well. I still think it's ridiculous that LAPOE follows SYCMIOYO, and that Miracle Drug follows Vertigo. Some of them are great songs, individually, but some are just weak. That high you get immediately after you hear new U2 material really does skew your feelings on the songs, initially. I mean, I thought HTDAAB was U2's best album since AB in the first few weeks and months after its release. Now...not so much.

This I agree with. I thought Bomb was great when it was released. Now, it might very well be my least favorite U2 album.

using GibsonGirls method...

Zooropa - 2.5
Babyface - 3.5
Numb - 3
Lemon - 5
Stay - 5
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car - 2.5
Some Days Are Better Than Others - 2
The First Time - 3.5
Dirty Day - 4.5
The Wanderer - 4

Avg 3.6

Vertigo - 3.5
Miracle Drug - 3.5
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - 3.5
Love And Peace Or Else - 4.5
City Of Blinding Lights - 4.5
All Because Of You - 2.5
A Man And A Woman - 2
Crumbs From Your Table - 3
One Step Closer - 2.5
Original Of The Species - 4.5
Yahweh - 2

Avg 3.3

i think that method is better :up:

namkcuR said:

Why all the Babyface hate? Am I the only one that thinks it's a GREAT song? It's catchy, interesting, experimental, fun, it's just GREAT.

No, you're not the only one. :) I know a lot of people who love it. The issue I have with Babyface is related to the music, I think. I enjoy the lyrics - great stuff from Bono. The meaning behind the words is very interesting, I find. Musically, though...it just annoys me. Particularly the intro. For a lot of U2 songs, the quality of the music matters more to me than the words. I'm not too wild about the lyrics to Miami or their delivery, for instance, but I love the music. So I would rate Miami higher than Babyface. There's probably quite a few fans here who would disagree with me on that! :lol:

This I agree with. I thought Bomb was great when it was released. Now, it might very well be my least favorite U2 album.

It's not quite my least-favourite album (hello, R&H and ATYCLB! :wave:) but it certainly has slipped. This time last year, my top five probably looked a little something like this:

AB
JT
UF
HTDAAB
Zooropa

These days, it's more:

AB
UF
Zooropa
Pop
JT

the rockin edge said:

:sad:

That's okay, I used to hate it too. Once you get past the fact that Bono actually wrote "Miami, my mammy!" it's not a bad song. Live versions were amazing too. :drool: If they played it on the album like they played it live, I'm sure more people would like it.

GibsonGirl said:
That's okay, I used to hate it too.* Once you get past the fact that Bono actually wrote "Miami, my mammy!" it's not a bad song. Live versions were amazing too. :drool: If they played it on the album like they played it live, I'm sure more people would like it.

*a huge thanks to Queen Bee for helping me see the light

LOL, interesting poll. It's a little like comparing apples to oranges (because IMO the albums are so different), but, in the end... I'd have to vote for Zooropa. I listen to that record far more than HTDAAB, I enjoy more of the songs and the entire concept of it is just awesome.

In my mind, it's Zooropa, Lemon, Numb, Stay, Dirty Day, The Wanderer vs. LAPOE, City of Blinding Lights and OOTS (the only 3 HTDAAB songs I really like). So... yeah, Zooropa for me, man.

<-- oh, closet "Babyface" fan here :silent:

00Kevin said:
Good Songs on htdaab
-Vertigo
-Miracle Drug
-Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
-Love and Peace or Else
-City of Blinding Lights
-Crumbs From Your Table
-Original of the Species
-Total of 7

So Bomb wins

There appears to be some sort of mistake! Miracle Drug isn't a good song yet appears to be swinging victory towards 'How To...' :ohmy:

GibsonGirl said:

:sad:

That's okay, I used to hate it too. Once you get past the fact that Bono actually wrote "Miami, my mammy!" it's not a bad song. Live versions were amazing too. :drool: If they played it on the album like they played it live, I'm sure more people would like it.

i've never heard it live so maybe i'd like that :shrug: but i find the album version utterly repulsive :yuck:

Zooropa > Vertigo.

Zooropa is the most realized song of U2's 90's experiments. It's perfect in everyway. Vertigo doesn't stand a chance.

Babyface < Miracle Drug

Babyface is nice. But Miracle Drug is Miracle Drug. And it has Edge playing the kind of solo and outro I've always wanted to hear him play.

Numb = SYCMIOYO

Weirdo vs. Heartfelt. Draw.

Lemon < LAPOE

I like the funk, but I love the rock.

Stay = COBL

They're both U2 doing everything I like about U2.

DGPFYCC < All Because of You

ABOY is the rock song everyone here said they wanted before HTDAAB was released. Larry channels Charlie Watts and Edge channels Pete Townshend. It just rips.

SDABTO > AMAAW

Adam tunes. Really good Adam tunes. But I'll give the nod to SDABTO.

The First Time < Crumbs

Crumbs is the perfect U2 rock song. It has everything. And frankly, Bono sounds terrible on First Time. Never record with a cold.

Dirty Day < One Step Closer

Dirty Day is one of the worst U2 recording ever. It's thin & lifeless, Bono again is recording with a cold and sounds terrible. Thank God for the beefed up live version.

The Wanderer = OOTS

Johnny Cash playing with U2 vs. one of the best songs U2 has ever written. Again, a toss-up.

Zooropa gets 2.

HTDAAB gets 6. Because Yahweh is better than the alarm sound.

I find it difficult to rate U2’s material. I mean, it’s a little like ranking correspondence from a best friend. Each song is reflective of some mood or circumstance that the band tapped into at a given moment. This said, the stuff I gravitate to most has an organic, less-forced feel to it. I think that the Achtung/Zooropa/Pop stuff is highly representative of the U2 I like best--the quirky, passionate, sky-is-the-limit, experimental band.

So, musically, I’ll take Zooropa. However, I do think that Bomb has much more to say lyrically and politically. (For example, I still think that STYCMIOYO is just as much about the United States as it is about 'Bob.') In many ways, I think the album is that forced letter from the friend, but this time with a deeper message, and one that's not as fun to read.

I'm betting that U2 still have the ability to thrash out their best album yet, one that's a hybrid of everything that I love about them.

Huge :up: to Brau. Great post and I agree with almost every word.

Zooropa by a country mile.

Zooropa was a creative and varied masterwork that sounds fresh on every play. HTDAAB to me was a par disc that I had already gotten over by December 2004.

Putting songs like The Wanderer, Daddy's Gonna Pay & Numb against the offerings from HTDAAB further solidifies it.

Zooropa songs translated better live as well.

timothius said:
Zooropa songs translated better live as well.

Oh, now there, you have to be joking. The title track and Babyface were both downright disasters live. There's a reason why they were only played 5 times (Babyface) and 3 times (Zooropa). How 'live' some of the other stuff was is debatable, considering the effects involved in songs like Numb and Lemon.

Axver said:

Oh, now there, you have to be joking. The title track and Babyface were both downright disasters live. There's a reason why they were only played 5 times (Babyface) and 3 times (Zooropa). How 'live' some of the other stuff was is debatable, considering the effects involved in songs like Numb and Lemon.

Zooropa and Babyface were pretty bad. But then again One Step Closer and A Man & A Woman would have been awful too.

But you can't say Daddy's Gonna Pay isn't one of the best if not the best performance on ZooTV: Live In Sydney, or that Dirty Day kicks more arse than Vertigo when in full swing. Lemon & Numb are both fantastic performances too, especially Numb where I love Larry's powerful drumming... sure it has a backing track... but so does Bad. Add The Wanderer's aweeeeeeesome translation this year (sans Bono) and I think we have winner.

Obviously I really can't make a difinitive call without seeing a Zooropa show live in person - but going on the recorded history we have LAPOE is the really fantastic live song off The Bomb.

Using the rankings...

ZOOROPA
Zooropa 4
Babyface 4
Numb 2,5
Lemon 3
Stay 5
Crashed Car 1,5
SDABTO 3,5
The First Time 3,5
Dirty Day 5
The Wanderer 4,5

HTDAAB
Vertigo 3
Miracle Drug 4,5
SYCMIOYO 3,5
Love and Peace or Else 5
City of blinding lights 5
All Because of You 0,5
A man and a woman 3
Crumbs 3,5
One Step Closer 4
Original of The Species 4
Yahweh 4
Fast Cars 4

Very very close...

angelordevil said:
IHowever, I do think that Bomb has much more to say lyrically and politically. (For example, I still think that STYCMIOYO is just as much about the United States as it is about 'Bob.') In many ways, I think the album is that forced letter from the friend, but this time with a deeper message, and one that's not as fun to read.

Bingo!!!

That's why I vote for HTDAAB. Thematically, it has more going on in terms of relevance to the world. I always thought HTDAAB's biggest weakness was that it came out in 2004, instead of 2002. It really is an album about the Fall of 2001. 3 things in particular shaped the album; Dad's death, 9/11 and recovery process from those traumas (3rd leg Elevation shows, for example). By 2004, the post-traumatic stress had subsided for many.

In many ways, HTDAAB is a blueprint of how one should walk through today's world defined by one tragedy after another. The ideas fueling this album are very profound. If Bush would've had this album in 2002, he might've figured out that invading Iraq was not an appropriate way of dealing with the nation's post-traumatic grief stemming from 9/11.

Earlier, somebody said they couldn't figure out why SYCMIOYO and LAPOE are back-to-back on the album. The underlying American parrallels with Bono's personal issues are a clue, I think. It's the same reason they keep those songs together on the tour.

Last edited:
timothius said:

Zooropa and Babyface were pretty bad. But then again One Step Closer and A Man & A Woman would have been awful too.

But you can't say Daddy's Gonna Pay isn't one of the best if not the best performance on ZooTV: Live In Sydney, or that Dirty Day kicks more arse than Vertigo when in full swing. Lemon & Numb are both fantastic performances too, especially Numb where I love Larry's powerful drumming... sure it has a backing track... but so does Bad. Add The Wanderer's aweeeeeeesome translation this year (sans Bono) and I think we have winner.

Obviously I really can't make a difinitive call without seeing a Zooropa show live in person - but going on the recorded history we have LAPOE is the really fantastic live song off The Bomb.

LAPOE is fantastic live but so are COBL, MD, at least in the gig I've seen. Vertigo, SYCMIOYO and Yahweh were pretty cool to. Only ABOY sucked, but that's normal, the song plain sucks.

Out of Zooropa I'd only want to see Dirty Day and Stay... and probably The Wanderer.

Layton said:

In many ways, HTDAAB is a blueprint of how one should walk through today's world defined by one tragedy after another. The ideas fueling this album are very profound.

Actually, I think ATYCLB fits better to what you are talking about here. Songs like beautiful day, stuck and walk have a distinct message.

xaviMF22 said:

Actually, I think ATYCLB fits better to what you are talking about here. Songs like beautiful day, stuck and walk have a distinct message.

I agree! I thought ATYCLB was like the soundtrack to 9/11. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom