Zooropa Rocks Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love the album. Its one that needed a few listens to actually get but its great and has one of the most beautiful songs ever on it. - Stay :)

Zooropa's been flying under the radar (to casual music fans, thought it did win critical praise at the time) for over 10 years and it just keeps getting better and better. Awesome album. Refuses to be easily categorized.

Zooropa the song is a perfect complement to WTSHNN -- on the other side of Achtung. DGPFYCC is highly underrated and again a flip side to Bad or Running to Stand Still. Johnny Cash adds the appropriate gravitas to The Wanderer's lyrics.

The lyrics in Zooropa are 1,000 times more interesting than those on ATYCLB (which are still good).

U2's White Album.

I love Zooropa! How can anyone hate an album with Lemon and Stay on it?! Lemon is my favorite U2 song. It never gets old.

As much as I like The Wanderer I wish there was a version where Bono did sing it.

Unquestionably my favorite U2 album. And not just because "Stay" is one of my, oh, top 3 favorite U2 songs.

The songs say so much in such an abstract way (especially Zooropa and Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car) which goes perfectly with the electronic experimentation and sampling and such.

Numb is the only song on there I could do without.

IGWSHA and WUDM were also created during the Zooropa sessions...they would have probably been included but the band was trying to stay from overly melodic/straightforward tunes. Says so in 'At The End Of The World.'

Would have been cool to hear those songs with 1993 Bono's voice, though.

-Miggy

I agreed w/ an Edge interview when he referred to this album as their Sgt. Pepper, totally unexpected and I think completely awesome

My 2nd favorite album behind AB.

The appreciation of Zooropa goes through the roof once you watch the ZooTV Sydney video. I can't listen to this album without picturing MacPhisto, ZooTV, Trabants, TV Screens, etc.

I think without ZooTV, Zooropa isn't quite as special. However, that isn't the case - ZooTV was what created Zooropa, and as a result, it is a brilliant album from the most creative and exciting period in U2's career.

My first U2 album back. Got it back in '93 after seeing the 'Lemon' video (which is still a favorite), I've been a fan since then. :up:

Zooropa is an astounding album, its really great
i love it to bits...
in fact my earliest recollection of U2 is in fact the funny noise at the end of it. i used to play that it on repeat all the time just to annoy my sister, i think i though it was cool or something (i was very young!)

Stay is in my top 5 without question... i worship that song!

I LOVE THIS ALBUM!!:);) I really enjoy every song expect, The First Time, Dirty Day, and The Wander. My favorite tracks are: Babyface, Zooropa, Crashed Car, Some Days, and Stay.:);)

Zooropa rocks - in fact, I have to give the album its own adjective: "Zangy." I still remember hearing Lemon back when it came out. I was only a dumb 11 year old kid, and even I could tell that it was great! I have always loved Stay, but since I've grown up a bit and had a couple relationships, it has become one of my favorite songs ever. The way it creates that detached feeling, yet expresses such desire and longing - it is beautiful.

Aardvark747 said:
Didnt it when an award for best alternative album in 93? That's cool. Totally different to the stuff that would qualify for the 'Alternative' category these days.

It was totally different from the stuff that was considered alternative in 1993 too.

It's not my all time fav but it gets my vote for most underated U2 album.

Me too, Stray Dog. 'Stay' and Dirty Day' are two of my top 5 U2 songs.
"You can hold on to something so tight, you've already lost it..."

wow.... this thread is like coming home for me. This album hits it in terms of production quality (amazing sound - a standout especially considered those days)
How it came together (how rock'n'roll was that?) the videos (hands down some of their best videos made to accompany the album) all the sound layers on this album work, form the built up in the intro to Zooropa, with the ringing in the end.... :homerdrooling:

I love this album and my friend is one of the biggest ZooBashers out there, I've spent hours tryin to convince him they weren't on weed when they made this album.:mac:

"You can't even remember...what I'm tryin' to forget"

"Lookin' for someone to blame...throw a rock in the air, you'll hit someone guilty..."

a bloody brilliant album!

I've been waiting for a topic like this. I've been nocturnal the past two weeks for most days, like going to bed at 6am and waking up at 6pm.(Work schedule's been weird lately). But the last thing I do before I fall asleep is listen to Zooropa. It's such a night album. Also a Decemeber-January album, despite its July 1993 release date (this is probably because I bought it in January 2001). It's definitely the most CRIMINALLY underrated U2 album. One of the coolest things (and there are many of course) about Zooropa is how it was made in like 2-3 months ON TOUR. It just goes to show that I think U2 might be better off if they didn't spend such a ridiculous amount of time between albums as has been the case ever since. But I feel like Zooropa (along with Achtung Baby and Pop) especially has that quality of U2 doing EXACTLY what they wanted to do with as little outside pressure as was possible prevailing. I love every single song on it, but especially Lemon, Stay, Dirty Day, and The First Time. The videos from the 3 singles are also f^*%ing excellent.

Alright this is all disjointed and long, I'm sorry but yeah - Zooropa: the coolest U2 album, most underrated U2 album..and oh yeah, best U2 album cover. 5 stars, 10 out of 10 on the general AND U2 scale.

Remember - "uncertainty can be a guiding light!"

Last edited:
I have heard rumors of a version of The Wanderer sung by Bono, does anyone have this or know where to get it? Does it even exist.

Jorge

Back
Top Bottom