Zooropa or Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both are awesome but Zooropa sometimes gets a little bit boring for me. Pop seems always refreshing!

Zooropa. It seems more unified creatively, and it has several songs that I consider among U2's finest, whereas while Pop is a great album, it has maybe 1 standout track.

Salome said:
Zooropa

by about 167,653 times

True.
And for me, Achtung Baby by about 167,654 times. Considering that AB is my favourite album, you can deduce very easily that Zooropa is such a close second that nothing can come inbetween those two.

I do have to say that Pop, with The Unforgettable Fire, is battling for third place in my favourites list.
:)

Popmartijn said:

True.
And for me, Achtung Baby by about 167,654 times. Considering that AB is my favourite album, you can deduce very easily that Zooropa is such a close second that nothing can come inbetween those two.

I do have to say that Pop, with The Unforgettable Fire, is battling for third place in my favourites list.
:)

In that case, can you explain me why you're called Popmartijn??

By the way, I have a question for POP lovers. Could anyone please give me some good reasons for lovin' it, because after 9 whole years I'm still not a fan of the album. IMO it has too many mediocre songs, a few bad songs (Miami and Playboy Mansion) and no classics.

This is a REAL question, because I really wanna enjoy this album more than the way I do now.

BANZAI said:
In that case, can you explain me why you're called Popmartijn??

Easy. When I got my own Hotmail account it was 1997/1998. And I wanted to have something with my name and a U2 reference. Couldn't think of anything with Achtung Baby, Zooropa or I Will Follow (my favourite U2 song), but the Pop - Popmart - Martijn link was quickly found.
:wink:

BANZAI said:
By the way, I have a question for POP lovers. Could anyone please give me some good reasons for lovin' it, because after 9 whole years I'm still not a fan of the album. IMO it has too many mediocre songs, a few bad songs (Miami and Playboy Mansion) and no classics.

This is a REAL question, because I really wanna enjoy this album more than the way I do now.

okay, since I love Pop more than anyone else on the planet, I'll try to help you :wink:

In all honesty, I think it simply comes down to personal preference. There's no magic Pop-loving formula. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing. It's not that you "don't get it." you just don't like it and that's fine.

I loved Pop pretty much on the first listen...and I was nine! there were some songs that took awhile to grow on me, like Velvet Dress (well, how many nine year olds do you know that would love that song anyway?), but for the most part the album didn't have to grow on me or anything. not even Please. I just liked what I heard :shrug: part of it could be that I was not a U2 fan before that, so I had no expectations of the album. one way to enjoy Pop more possibly would be to not even think of it as a U2 album, just as an album. I don't know about you, but with U2 being my favourite band and all, I hold them to high standards.

every song on this album deserves eleventy billion stars :drool:

I love them both too much to choose
(but at the moment, as ive listened to it alot lately, zooropa)

my vote goes to Zooropa.

i've got every song from Zooropa and only 4 songs from Pop on my ipod.
might make it 5 songs though, i need to add Gone :hmm:

I've got to go with Zooropa by a fair margin.

In my eyes, Zooropa has some of my favorite U2 songs (Zooropa, Lemon, Stay), and every other track on it is either great or good (Babyface and Dirty Day being merely "good"). Plus, it's completely different from anything else in the U2 catalogue, it was their most experimental album overall, and it's extremely cohesive - it almost works as somewhat of a concept album. It's like some kind of crazy, spacey dream. It's amazing.

Pop is good. I don't see it as the masterpiece that some people see it as, but I really like some of the songs on it. Mofo and Last Night on Earth especially are really good. Please is also really good, but I can't help but feel that it was slighted production-wise, kind of like Dirty Day on Zooropa. It could have been done much better on the album and therefore doesn't jump out at you as much as it should when you listen to it. I actually really like most of the songs on Pop now that I think about it. It's just that string of three towards the end that kill it for me - that is, Miami -> The Playboy Mansion -> If You Wear That Velvet Dress. I cannot get into any of these songs and I find them to be three of the worst songs in U2's catalogue. They're boring and have extremely questionable lyrics (except Velvet Dress, which I will concede has pretty good lyrical moments). I actually like Velvet Dress a little bit on its own, but it's still kind of boring, and since it's placed after two other boring songs on the album, it really doesn't work for me at all. I appreciate what U2 was trying to do here, but I don't think they quite pulled it off. If they had more time to produce the album and work on the songs a bit more, I feel that I might like it a bit more, but as it stands now it's merely a decent U2 album to me.

So yes. Zooropa owns this one for me. :rockon:

Zooropa
Great songs:
Stay
Somedays are better than others
Dirty Day
The Wanderer
Lemon
Good Songs:
Babyface
Numb
The First Time
Alright songs:
Zooropa
bad songs:
Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car

Average: 3.2

Pop
Great songs:
If God will send his angels
Mofo
Wake Up Dead Man
Last Night on Earth
Please
Good songs:
Discotheque
Do you feel loved
Staring at the sun
Gone
Alright songs:
The Playboy mansion
Bad songs:
Velvet Dress
Maimi

Average: 3

Zooropa wins

BANZAI said:

I really like both albums but I would place Pop ahead of Zooropa. I have a loving for Pop and I can't really explain why. In many respects it seems almost un-U2 (when compared to previous and post albums) yet there are destinctive U2 sounds that are throughout the album.

I really appreciate how all the songs come alive when performed in concert. Mofo, Gone, Please and Staring at the Sun, become incredible when heard live. The energy and passion is amazing.

Zooropa by far. Zooropa is more inspired. Zooropa is more beautiful. Zooropa is more relevant. Zooropa is more moving. And most importantly Zooropa wasn't rushed out the door with a questionable production.

However, certain POP songs really take on a whole new life performed live. Please, Last Night On Earth, and Discotheque exponentially improve in a live setting.

Zooropa, but it's close.

I think both albums have a tendency to have a stretch of so-so material. For me it comes down to the fact that the songs on Zooropa are better than Pop.

1. Zooropa- Masterpeice
2. Babyface- A beautiful, seductive song. Shares the theme of Velvet Dress but presents it so much better.
3. Numb- This song is inventive if anything.
4. Lemon- I think this is the second masterpeice on this album.
5. Stay- I agree with Bono, that this is the best U2 song. Third Masterpeice.
6. Crashed Car- I love this song, it just sounds so different.
7. Some Days- The album's weak link. I love the music though.
8. The First Time- Good song, I guess.
9. Dirty Day- Works so well with The Wanderer. Love this song.
10. The Wanderer- It has kind of grown on me.

Screwtape2 said:
2. Babyface- A beautiful, seductive song. Shares the theme of Velvet Dress but presents it so much better.

I agree with a fair amount of what you said but not with that statement. In my opinion, Velvet Dress is one of the most gorgeous songs they've ever done! Edge's guitar in that song is almost orgasmic.

Back
Top Bottom