Zooropa or Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
namkcuR said:
I love both, but I take Pop over Zooropa.

The way Pop is viewed by many is frustrating to me. I really believe this record had all the potential in the world to be absolutely huge.
but the half arsed production is indeed POP's biggest problem

so it's not frustrating the people view it like that

it's frustrating the band didn't finish the album properly

(omitting IGWSHA would also have been a good move indeed)

Zooropa in its original form is better than Pop in ITS original form. Now if U take the versions of the Pop songs that were released as singles, then Pop may have the slight edge (no pun intended).

The Disciple said:
Now if U take the versions of the Pop songs that were released as singles, then Pop may have the slight edge (no pun intended).

Except for Please, I completely disagree.

Gone album version :drool:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

If God Will Send His Angels:
And with a title like that, this song is from the point of view of a guy beating up his girlfriend.

Never heard that before.............:hmm:

awesome song:drool:

Pop
1. Discotheque 8/10
2. Do You Feel Loved 8/10
3. Mofo 8/10
4. If God Will Send His Angels 7/10
5. Staring At The Sun 8/10
6. Last Night On Earth 7/10
7. Gone 9/10
8. Miami 6/10
9. The Playboy Mansion 6/10
10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress 7/10
11. Please 7/10
12. Wake Up Dead Man 6/10

Zooropa
1. Zooropa 8/10
2. Babyface 7/10
3. Numb 6/10
4. Lemon 5/10
5. Stay 7/10
6. Daddy's Gonna Pay 6/10
7. Somedays Are Better Than 7/10
8. The First Time 8/10
9. Dirty Day 6/10
10. The Wanderer 7/10

Both are masterpieces.

Zooropa with Zooropa, Lemon, Stay, Numb for example.

Pop with Discotheque, Last night on earth, Do you feel loved, Please etc etc.

But i had to choose i would choose POP.

namkcuR said:
The way Pop is viewed by many is frustrating to me. I really believe this record had all the potential in the world to be absolutely huge.

Nah, U2 would have found a way to ruin it. They would have muddied up the production so much that you could hardly hear what's going on, changed Edge's brilliant guitar tone back to his "usual" sound, and turned down Adam's bass. :tsk: As it is, it's a bona-fide masterpiece. It could have been like ATYCLB, except worse. Plus they probably would have pushed it back another year. :huh:

Traditionally I've liked Pop more, but Zooropa is slowly threatening to edge it out.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Pop's "flaws" are part of its character. Part of why I tend to prefer the album versions of the songs.

we are in complete agreement :love: yeah some of the live versions of Pop songs were better, like LNOE with the killer ending solo, or Gone's ending on Elevation, but really I wouldn't change a note of the album. MAYBE Miami to be more like the live version, but...I dunno. I'm so in love with Pop I don't want to change it at all

honestly, I much prefer Pop's production/mixing to, say, HTDAAB's. there are some rough spots, but I in general like the way it was mixed. For an album with so much going on, it comes across as very balanced to me. I love the fact that I discover some new little sound every time I listen to it.

though if we're talking about production, I gotta say Zooropa is U2's best produced album, period. Edge outta involve himself in the production aspect a lot more, because apparently it yields good results :up:

Back
Top Bottom