Zooropa on the radio in Kansas City!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevink

The Fly
I wanted to give a shout out to 96.5 The Buzz in Kansas City, MO for playing Zooropa! I had just gotten in my car and turned on the radio when I heard Zooropa. I was so excited I had to make sure it was actually the radio and not my CD player. The Buzz is an alternative rock station here in KC and they normally do not play much U2 apart from Beautiful Day every so often, so I was amazed to hear them playing Zooropa during their 90's at Noon lunch hour.

On a side note, we have another station here in Kansas City that LOVES U2, 97.3 The Planet. They are independently owned so they can play whatever they want to, and they play LOTS of U2, but I've never heard anything from Zooropa or Pop on that station. They DO regularly play HMTMKMKM, though.

"Zooropa" (the track, not the album) got quite a bit of play back in '93 here in southern Missouri (south of Kansas City radio area). U2 possibly missed out by not releasing "Zooropa" as a single. It certainly got more play on rock/alternative stations than "Lemon".. at least in my area.

"Zooropa" was actually a pretty big hit on the radio.....it hit #10 or #11 on the Rock airplay charts if I remember correctly.....the most played song from the album in the US by far.

Here is the highest chart position for "Zooropa" songs on various charts (taken from the chart and sales forum):

Numb - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #18
Numb - Modern Rock Tracks - #2
Numb - Top 40 Mainstream - #39

Zooropa - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #8
Zooropa - Modern Rock Tracks - #13

Lemon - Modern Rock Tracks - #3
Lemon - Hot Dance Music/Club Play -#1
Lemon - Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales - #16

Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #12
Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - The Billboard Hot 100 - #61
Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - Mainstream Rock Tracks - #13
Stay (Faraway, So Close!) - Modern Rock Tracks - #15

Based on the above, "Zooropa" produced one big hit on the Billboard Hot 100 (the chart that matters the most in terms of how big a hit a song is) with "Stay". And both "Numb" and "Lemon" charted higher than "Zooropa" (the song) on other charts. However, "Zooropa" (the song) was not an official single, so it did quite well. It's one of my favorite tracks from the album. :yes:

Wow, that's surprising that "Lemon" got played so often on the stations....I guess the radio DJs may be a bit braver than we thought to play something so experimental...

oh man, the only time i've ever heard zooropa play in a public place (meaning aside from my cd player, stereo, or ipod) is when i play it at the jukebox at gus's fried chicken...

cool! :up:

Back
Top Bottom