Zooropa is amazing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by AcrobatMan:
I love Stay, Zooropa & Wanderer and other few songs are ok but how can you like Numb?

Very easily. I listen to it, and wow whaddaya know, I like it. Funny the way personal taste works. Quite shocking, I'm sure.

On the basis of "Numb," I have decided that The Edge is The Coolest Man Alive?. I love the juxtaposition of Edge's chant and Bono's falsetto vocal, which includes the infamous line many of us live by, "Too much is not enough"!

I've been listening to "Numb," "Lemon" and "Stay" a lot lately. And I agree with many of the posters here, "Zooropa" is an unjustly overlooked masterpiece. I like when U2 experiments with different sounds and styles. And while I'm happy that they were so successful and made new fans with the radio-friendly ATYCLB, I hope they will never lose their sense of musical adventure. I don't believe they will.

I love Zooropa and the "disjointed pop" (as Bill Flanagan wrote) that it is.
wink.gif

Michael, great post!
icon14.gif

Zooropa is not my favourite album, but it is one of the albums on my top three... It sounds, well, different! There's so much for you to explore. I always think that Zooropa is an album which more you listen to it, more you like it. At least that's my case.

I didn't like it when I first bought it. After a few listen, I decided to put it away. That wasn't until four or five months later, I finally put it into my CD player again. I had to study for my exams and I wanted something that I wasn't familiar with to listen to when I was studying(so that I wouldn't be distracted from my books...
tongue.gif
).

After those listens during the exam, I think I can say that I have fallen in love with this album...
icon35.gif
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by christiana (edited 05-17-2002).]

Originally posted by AcrobatMan:
I love Stay, Zooropa & Wanderer and other few songs are ok but how can you like Numb?

Easily. It's a great song!!! (wonders why people bother asking questions like this!)

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Very easily. I listen to it, and wow whaddaya know, I like it. Funny the way personal taste works. Quite shocking, I'm sure.

It is different from U2 point of view but not necessarily good. And different may or may not be good. But I have no objection in people liking it but if I could know how to like ? , then I could try liking it.

Methinks its all personal taste and personal understanding of music.

AcobatMan

Zooropa might be my favorite album, I'm listening to it right now in fact. Definitely top 3. Certainly their most daring work and biggest departure which is encouraging in and of itself. I just wish they'd play nuggets like Lemon and Dirty Day in concert!! C'mon guys!!!

I've been through many opinion swings concerning Zooropa, but my "final" take on it is this:

Lemon, Stay, The First Time are great songs and will remain my U2 favourites for a long time. Daddy's Gonna Pay... & Dirty Day are very flat on CD but rock my world live, especially the latter. It really is a shame they don't play it in concerts more. I may enjoy Zooropa and Numb in a right mood. The rest is perfectly listenable, but feels kinda dull and uninspired. On a whole, I find a lot of things to like about Zooropa, but I doubt it would have me hooked on U2 if I listened to it before I listened to anything else they've done.

I have always wanted to hear the Zooropa versions of "If God would send", "Wake Up Dead Man", and "Velvet". I also love that some of the songs that they left off are on the cover of the album.

I am still not able to see those titles on the cover. I must be blind.
Michael, as always a wonderfully thought out post.
Those of you whom are wondering about Dirty Day and think its flat, should listen to the Bitter Kiss and JunkDay Mixes. Absolutely brilliant songs. I grew to love the album version even more after hearing them for some reason.
I obviously adore Zooropa but Numb and BabyFace took me quite a few years to appreciate. I love them both now, especially Numb. I still don't think Babyface is one of U2's greatest songs, but its not supposed to be. You have to remember that certain songs have certain roles on a U2 album. Babyface is one of them. I see it as just a happy little song that reflects a part of U2's life at the time.

Bono is awesome all the way throughout the album and completely stretches himself. How could anyone not love the album where the fat lady does her thing?!
Daddy's Gonna Pay and Some Days are underrated in my opinion. That bass line is FUNK OUT CITY, baby!!!!!!

------------------
I am a cowgirl of funk

*Last Train to Bono*

you kind of have to stare at it for a while...you don't see the complete titles, just parts of them....they are hidden in the purple section of the cover.

*best album ever (unlike JT)
biggrin.gif

I had a chance to get "Zooropa" at midnight the day of its release. There was a special attraction at a store in the Chicago area - with U2 prizes (I didn't win any) and even a radio DJ (who was on air for a while at the store). The store kept playing "Zooropa" throughout the night.

As I listened to the album, I couldn't help be disappointed. What was this extended falsetto Bono was doing? What was this Edge rap? Where were the sailing Bono vocals? Where was that commanding Edge guitar, loaded with effects? Where was that heavy-handed rhythm section that powered so many U2 songs? I accepted and even loved AB because not only was it loaded with great songs, but I realized that U2 *had* to change their sound and image to survive in the 90's. But I had hoped that future albums (post-AB) would lean a bit more towards that 80's sound that I grew up with, not into more experimental "nonsense." "Zooropa" fell into that "nonsense" category with me that evening. I left the store without a copy of the album.

Then, a few weeks later, I relented and bought a copy. And I *really* listened to it. This was in '93, so there was no internet around (at least in my world at that time - I really started heavily playing on the 'net in '94) for someone to convince me into changing my mind. I reconsidered the album on my own. And when I really listened to the album, I came to adore it. It's brilliance is outstanding. It truly deserved the Grammy for "Alternative Album of the Year" for no other album released that year came even close to "Zooropa" in terms of experimentation of sound and style.

I believe "Zooropa" is a U2 gem that awaits discovery by fans. It is different. It's not as accessible as "War", JT, AB or ATYCLB. Its songs didn't go on to become Top 40 hits around the world. However, a good listen to the album, from start to finish, should convince any U2 fan that U2 were light years ahead of every other artist with this album. It's little wonder U2 has influenced so many - they were thinking "outside the box" before so many others.

*edited some typos and grammar

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 05-20-2002).]

Originally posted by doctorwho:
biggrin.gif

thinking "outside the box" before so many others.

This might sound a bit odd but it is true. With ZOROOPA, U2 lost a lots of fans who simply loved U2 till Achtung Baby. But they possibly also gained new ones. I know some people who stopped being a U2 fan after U2 released Zooropa.

But my opinion on Zooropa is its good and different and surely U2's weakest album till date. Not in the same league as TJT, UF or ATYCLB

Zooropa is among my top 3 or 4 U2 albums, and I probably listen to it more than any other since I never grow weary of it; true "Dirty Day" is better live, but I could say the same of about 80 other U2 songs

I believe "Zooropa" is a U2 gem that awaits discovery by fans. It is different. It's not as accessible as "War", JT, AB or ATYCLB. It's songs didn't go on to become Top 40 hits around the world. However, a good listen to the album, from start to finish, should convince any U2 fan that U2 were light years ahead of every other artist with this album. It's little wonder U2 has influenced so many - they were thinking "outside the box" before so many others.

This is exactly how I see it. Zooropa is like buried treasure. It?s not out there on a mountaintop screaming how good it is, but it is subtle and insinuates its way into your consciousness, if you will but give it the chance. Definitely within the top three U2 albums of all time on my personal list.

biggrin.gif

I accepted and even loved AB because not only was it loaded with great songs, but I realized that U2 *had* to change their sound and image to survive in the 90's. But I had hoped that latter albums would lean a bit more towards that 80's sound that I grew up with, not into more experimental "nonsense."

Don't wory I don't want to change you but I want to use this part of your comment to make a point and tell you a theory of mine...

Zooropa is my 2nd favorite U2 lp (after AB). And Zooropa the SONG is my favorite U2 song. This is a song that always get's me in a special state of conciense (I allways said that you don't need drugs to get high
smile.gif
).
And here's my theory about Zooropa the song - I heard a lot of interpretaitons, but the since the first time I heard it (on the day of it's release)I thought that it was a song about U2 as a band and about their musical jurney and adventures. What I heard while listening to it was their message that they are donig music for themselves and not the fans and that everyone who want's to join is welcomed. It's a song about boundaries or better jet the lack of them - ".. no particular place names, no particular songs...", about not fearing to make experimentes and be yourself (again I always thought that they were singing about themselves and their always changing musical style) - "...i've been hiding, what am I hiding from..." or "... get your head out of the mud baby,... overground..."
and the first part of the song when bono is just singing those ad-slogans I see it as a statement about where they are going and how free they are feeling about their musical creativity - "...zooropa...be all tht you can be..."

and here I come to this part that I quoted: this was, IMO, an explanation to all those Iloveonly80'sU2 people, and they told them that they will not wait for them, but they are invited to join.

Can anyone buy this theory or am I insane???

sory for bad spelling...

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

First off, Marko, it?s great to see you posting again! And I know I owe you an email.
eek.gif
Hope all is well with you.

Secondly, I really like what you said here.
Originally posted by Marko:
What I heard while listening to it was their message that they are donig music for themselves and not the fans and that everyone who want's to join is welcomed.

I think you have a really good point and I agree with the theory. It seems to me like at this point U2 is just exploring music and going wherever it takes them, really stretching boundaries and trying things they haven?t before...some of which are not going to be ?popular?. But it definitely is a musical journey, one which we can join or choose not to. In any case, the song Zooropa itself will always be one of my favorite journeys.
smile.gif

First off, Marko, it?s great to see you posting again! And I know I owe you an email.
eek.gif
Hope all is well with you.

Secondly, I really like what you said here.
I think you have a really good point and I agree with the theory. It seems to me like at this point U2 is just exploring music and going wherever it takes them, really stretching boundaries and trying things they haven?t before...some of which are not going to be ?popular?. But it definitely is a musical journey, one which we can join or choose not to. In any case, the song Zooropa itself will always be one of my favorite journeys.
smile.gif

Oh and I owe you a lot more... I got a cd you've send me, but I had problems b/c cd's for you returned (my post office made a mistake) and they are here with me on my desk almost a month - I'm too lazy. I'm going to send it to you once again but I would like to give send you a non-U2 bonus. I have a great Amelie soundtrack and I thought of sending it to you, it's realy great and joyfull music with a french taste...

bye for now

------------------
"Everyone loves me

Originally posted by Marko:
Oh and I owe you a lot more... I got a cd you've send me, but I had problems b/c cd's for you returned (my post office made a mistake) and they are here with me on my desk almost a month - I'm too lazy. I'm going to send it to you once again but I would like to give send you a non-U2 bonus. I have a great Amelie soundtrack and I thought of sending it to you, it's realy great and joyfull music with a french taste...

bye for now

Oh wow, I completely forgot that you were sending me CDs. Haha. Shows what a good memory I have, eh? Well no worries. Do what you can when you can, but as you can tell, I?m not going to be upset. I do have the Amelie soundtrack though and I LOVE it!
biggrin.gif

p.s. Still hope to swing by Zagreb sometime this fall or next spring. We'll have to do coffee or something.

Oh wow, I completely forgot that you were sending me CDs. Haha. Shows what a good memory I have, eh?

Sula: You think you're bad? Last year, I met a fellow U2 fan at a little Boston pre-concert event. This fan noted my name and thanked me profusely for sending her a bunch of items at no charge. I said I had no memory of ever doing such a thing, but she insisted it was me and was very grateful. LOL! How's that for a bad memory? Apparently, I'm just giving out U2 stuff these days and can't remember doing it.
biggrin.gif

p.s. Still hope to swing by Zagreb sometime this fall or next spring. We'll have to do coffee or something.

If you realy come to Zagreb, we will certanly have a coffe/drink and get to know eachother... looking forward to it
smile.gif

------------------
"Everyone loves me

This is the coolest thing to hear everybody loving Zooropa! A long-awaited appreciation thread, I guess, eh? (Thanks, sula.)
It's one of my favourite listening experiences... As you put it so sharply, Michael, it's a world unto itself of melody and texture that wraps itself around you like a *very* funky coat... "Their like a warning bell reminding you to get off the 'ride' and back to real life." YES, exactly, Zooropa!

After AB, I got to hanging out in classical music for awhile, so when I finally heard Zooropa, I was really disoriented. I liked the individual songs, but it took me awhile to get settled with the overall feel, the chill, the gloss... and I didn't know WHAT the hell was up with the Johnny Cash thing!
Soon after, I got POP and listened heavily to that. funny thing was, whenever I came back to Zooropa, it drew me in like a good drinking buddy who always keeps you out too late, you know?
biggrin.gif
And of course, once I'd seen Sydney, I was a goner. Daddy's Gonna Pay found its feet as the diabolical fever dance it's meant to be, and Dirty Day (like Please on POP) transcended itself...
And I giddily agree with all that's been said about Bono's vocals -- the title track is thrilling -- yes! awesome theory, Marko! I've always heard it as the view of the world from ZooTV, which isn't far off a view of the band...
God, I guess I'm just blathering on 'cause I never got to "confess" before
tongue.gif

Before I was on the 'Net, not only was Zooropa kind of underground, so was my love for the band. Pretty private thing, right? (Some of you will remember those days...) So one day in the lunch room at work, I almost fell over when one of the young boarder guys strolled in, wailing in falsetto, "She - wore - lemonnnn..."

Thank you, MuchMusic
wink.gif

Thank you, Feedback.
Cheers,
Deb D

------------------
I wanna walk with you along an unapproved road

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

I really like Zooropa and I would state that it is probably my fave U2 album and the thing that I love about it the most is how it just dosnt sound dated at all- the songs still seem so contemporary even though they are almost ten years old- and I also love the whole Zoorpa era in U2s life and I love, love, love listening to Zooropa and Daddy's gonna pay really loud- truly a great cd
smile.gif

Marko,

I just noticed you're from Zagreb, what a great city!! I spent a week in Croatia a few years ago (even spent New Year's Eve 1996 there), stayed in Samobar and drove into the city every day, tried to go to Slovenia but the boarder police were being difficult about it, I'm sure I'll return to Croatia some day, stay in Zagreb again, maybe see Split...

If U2 ever sees fit to put together another ?experimental? album like this one, count me in as the first in line to buy it.
biggrin.gif

Ditto. Although I really like ATYCLB and am glad that it helped win back lots of fans, I'd love for U2 to put out a really trippy "experimental" album again. Zooropa is just so unique and always sounds fresh- I feel like I'm being transported to a different world when I listen to it. I hope U2 is as adventurous in the future!

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Marko,

I just noticed you're from Zagreb, what a great city!! I spent a week in Croatia a few years ago (even spent New Year's Eve 1996 there), stayed in Samobar and drove into the city every day, tried to go to Slovenia but the boarder police were being difficult about it, I'm sure I'll return to Croatia some day, stay in Zagreb again, maybe see Split...

I can't tell you how glad I am to hear that someone liked my city.
Yes I think it's a greeat city, the onl thing is that after a long time it gets a bit small...
But nowdays it's the best, girls are BEAUTIFULLL!! They are realy gorgeous and it's hot and sunny, streets are full of bar tabels and chairs, everyone is having something for a drink... right now is the gbest time to be here, all to the end oh June!

Same as Sula - when you decide to come drop me a note and we will meet...

------------------
"Everyone loves me

Back
Top Bottom