Zooropa always seems to cheer me up for some reason

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwaynematthew89

Babyface
As long as I have been a U2 fan, their music has pulled me through tough times:sad: and just the other day I was feeling really crappy and by accident I just listened to Zooropa and by the end of "Dirty Day" I instantly felt better, it reminded me of another time when I was listening to the album and cheered me up. I wondered what was it about the CD that seems to make me cheer up? Especially when I first bought the album, I noted how depressing most of it is(maybe that was all I needed).

So what U2 album or song in particular seems to improve your mood?

hi there, just a word of advice for someone new, threads such as this should probably go in Everything You know Is Wrong instead of Zoo Confessionals since this is more of a U2 related topic :)

I would have to say Pop is my cheer up album of choice, which is odd because of the heavy material most songs are dealing with but hearing Discotheque or DYFL or Mofo or LNOE always puts a smile on my face.

Zooropa cheers me up because it's my favorite U2 album and I have a lot of nostalgia attached to it, particularly the title track. :drool:

Bad, for some reason, has a nice effect on me.

But then again, I just :heart: Bad overall.

Zooropa gets a bad rep i think because it's seen as more of an experiment rather than a cohesive album. I think it's one of their best albums, definitely in my top 5. I feel it is the last time U2 were really firing on all cylinders, and being successful at it. Sure, it's rather off-the-cuff and less emotional, but there lies its charms. It isn't trying to be important like The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. It doesn't want to be The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby...because it is ZOOROPA, baby!

And btw, I think Lemon and The First Time are two of U2's alltime best emotional songs. Yes, Lemon. Look between the falsetto lines. That song is tragedy.

Zooropa, since a lot of it deals with those crappy times, and also since its one of my favorite albums. All That You Can't Leave Behind works too, since a "cheer-up" album is what it seemed to be meant for.

And I agree, Lemon is amazing. I almost even called it a masterpiece.

Zooropa gets a bad rep i think because it's seen as more of an experiment rather than a cohesive album.

Bad rep? I really haven't seen Zooropa get a bad rep, it's pretty well liked in here, it's liked by the band(i.e. Bono saying Stay was one of his faves), and the critics liked it(i.e. grammy).

I think it's a great album, like you said it's a little off the cuff and less emotional, but it has some really strong moments. I'm one of the few that thinks Lemon is overrated and actually likes Babyface, but still a great album.

But not the one that I put on to get me through tough times. If I put on a U2 album to help me though it's usually AB or ATYCLB.

zooropa only gets a bad rep from 80's fans because it was quite a "WTF" moment in 93.. it was even more of a radical departure from their 80's sound than achtung baby.

And I agree, Lemon is amazing. I almost even called it a masterpiece.

Yeah, if it's not a masterpiece, it's damn close. The title track is definitely a masterpiece though. If it's not, I have no idea what is.

Bad rep? I really haven't seen Zooropa get a bad rep, it's pretty well liked in here, it's liked by the band(i.e. Bono saying Stay was one of his faves), and the critics liked it(i.e. grammy).

I think it's a great album, like you said it's a little off the cuff and less emotional, but it has some really strong moments. I'm one of the few that thinks Lemon is overrated and actually likes Babyface, but still a great album.

But not the one that I put on to get me through tough times. If I put on a U2 album to help me though it's usually AB or ATYCLB.

ZOOROPA was received well by critics that understood what they were doing, and appreciated the fact that U2 were playing against their strengths. I think in mainstream media tho, the album is basically seen as their biggest failure. Go to any personal review site on the internet and try to find U2 reviews, Zooropa always gets the lowest rating, and it's all stemming from some dissillusionment on the reviewer, who i guess can't handle U2 being anything other than 80's U2. Therein lies the problem. If Zooropa was an album made by an unknown band, it would probably be a masterpiece, but people get too preoccupied by this thought: "This is U2? This doesn't sound anything like the Joshua Tree or War". A number have people have told me they threw the album across the room when they heard it. My old music teacher said it's the first CD he used as a frisbee. Damn fools.

The album that probably gets me thru tough times is The Joshua Tree. I find it is their spiritual masterpiece, their ultimate masterpiece hands down. But when I'm looking to get pumped up and go out, "Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car" always gets me psyched.

ZOOROPA was received well by critics that understood what they were doing, and appreciated the fact that U2 were playing against their strengths. I think in mainstream media tho, the album is basically seen as their biggest failure. Go to any personal review site on the internet and try to find U2 reviews, Zooropa always gets the lowest rating, and it's all stemming from some dissillusionment on the reviewer, who i guess can't handle U2 being anything other than 80's U2. Therein lies the problem. If Zooropa was an album made by an unknown band, it would probably be a masterpiece, but people get too preoccupied by this thought: "This is U2? This doesn't sound anything like the Joshua Tree or War". A number have people have told me they threw the album across the room when they heard it. My old music teacher said it's the first CD he used as a frisbee. Damn fools.

The album that probably gets me thru tough times is The Joshua Tree. I find it is their spiritual masterpiece, their ultimate masterpiece hands down. But when I'm looking to get pumped up and go out, "Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car" always gets me psyched.

You summed up everything I could say about this album....and the Joshua Tree.

Another vote for Attyclub here, my perfect pick-me-up album, especially Stuck in a Moment. 10/10 song for is Stuck.

I also agree about Zooropa, in particular Stay, which after being indifferent too before is now one of my favourites.

And how can you not be encouraged by Some Days are Better than Others? Fantastic fun song that sounds great and has perfect pickmeup albeit throwaway lines.

Yes, Lemon. Look between the falsetto lines. That song is tragedy.

What's the tragedy? I know there's the connotations with his mother, I'd just never considered this before.

:up: :up: Spot on. I love Babyface, and right the second the third part - as I like to call it :D - of Zooropa kicks in, it's a very uplifting album. Take the final verse, from 3:59 onwards.

And I have no compass
And I have no map
And I have no reasons
No reasons to get back

And I have no religion
And I don't know what's what
And I don't the limit
The limit of what we got

Don't worry baby, it'll be alright
You got the right shoes to get ya through the night
It's cold outside, but brightly lit
Skip the subway, let's go to the overground

Get your head out of the mud baby
Put flowers in the mud baby, overground

No particular place names
No particular song
I've been hiding, what am I hiding from?

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be alright
Uncertainty can be a guiding light
I hear voices, ridiculous voices
Out in the slipstream
Let's go to the overground
Take your head out of the mud baby

She's gonna dream up the world she wants to live in
She's gonna dream out loud
Dream out loud
Dream out loud

:love: :heart: :love: :heart:

I got to the first underground without having to check lyrics, and I haven't listened to it in a while. Very proud.

ATYCLB......just really nice.....positivity is a recurring lyrical theme and it's a welcome thing.....everything will be ok again, and you can feel rather great

Beautiful Day... there's always light to find in darkness
Stuck... stop worrying and move on, you'll be better for it
Elevation... finding the sudden desire to dig, excavate
Walk On... keeping strong in the face of sheer adversity
Kite... personal, emotional strength, an outpouring of emotion, don't cry for me
Wild Honey... just fun bright and happy
Peace on Earth... Bono (hope he's ok) wants peace on earth
Grace... as far away from anything sinister as possible

Zooropa gets a bad rep i think because it's seen as more of an experiment rather than a cohesive album. I think it's one of their best albums, definitely in my top 5. I feel it is the last time U2 were really firing on all cylinders, and being successful at it. Sure, it's rather off-the-cuff and less emotional, but there lies its charms. It isn't trying to be important like The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. It doesn't want to be The Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby...because it is ZOOROPA, baby!

And btw, I think Lemon and The First Time are two of U2's alltime best emotional songs. Yes, Lemon. Look between the falsetto lines. That song is tragedy.

Agree 100%.

I actually like Zooropa more than JT. :reject:

You bring up a good point, because I found out much of U2's catalog through the 90's so I never really had a problem with their experimental phase(in fact I wish they embraced it more recently).

If I had started with the band from the beginning I probaly would have found Zooropa too unlistenable. A lot of people are much too stuck in the ideal of what U2 is supposed to sound like which is the kiss of death of any artist.

Zooropa's always been a bit of an enigma to me. It's one of, if not the, (not recently) my most listened to U2 album, but it's still got flaws.

Zooropa, Lemon, Numb, Some Days are my favourites

You bring up a good point, because I found out much of U2's catalog through the 90's so I never really had a problem with their experimental phase(in fact I wish they embraced it more recently).

If I had started with the band from the beginning I probaly would have found Zooropa too unlistenable. A lot of people are much too stuck in the ideal of what U2 is supposed to sound like which is the kiss of death of any artist.

i started listening to u2 during the 80's.............from war on................when the 90's hit, i loved it. then the 00's and i was like "bleh".
ATYCLB puts me too sleep and HTDAAB makes my head hurt.

love the album and in particular the song, zooropa.
one of adam's more underappreciated basslines.
I also loved the raw energy and edge's playing during the live versions of dirty day on zooropa and zoomerang.

Back
Top Bottom