Zooropa - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2003, 08:01 PM   #16
you are what you is

Local Time: 09:00 AM
one of of my fave U2 albums
they truly managed to create what they had in mind on this album

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-08-2003, 08:15 PM   #17
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 02:00 AM
It was the first U2 album I ever bought.

I dont know what it was about this album, but it made me want to go out and buy all the rest of their albums, because that's pretty much just what I did. I think I'll always consider 1993 as a magical year for me that way

Great stuff

Old 08-08-2003, 08:41 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 07:00 PM
You know,usually U2 fans say "My fav U2's album is The joshua tree or actung babay".yeah,I agree.
But Zooropa is very special album(by another reason).
I like this album(not love).
I don't know why... I want listen very much sometimes.
Especially "babyface,numb,lemon"....
Old 08-08-2003, 09:09 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:00 AM
I didn't get Zooropa back in 93 when I first listened to it, but I get it now. It's a very experimental album.

I love the way Bono sings The First Time, it sounds like he's not trying, sounds like he doesn't care.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:37 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:00 AM
I think that Lemon, Numb, Stay, Junk Day remix of Dirty Day and The First Time would have made a first-class EP. The rest I could live without; although I like the lyrics a lot, to me the rest of the songs are rather mediocre and uninteresting musically. I did rather enjoyed Daddy's Gonna Pay... on ZooTV video though, mostly because of the inimitable Mr McPhisto,
Old 08-09-2003, 05:31 AM   #21
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Stay is one of my favorite songs. It's been stuck in my head most of the day. It has meaning to me. I love the video too
I love the video to this song, its one fo my favourite songs at this moment.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:39 AM   #22

One of the most impressive elements of U2 as Musicians and Bono as a lyricist is they have this uncanny ability to transform the whole mood and perhaps even the identity they have established with previous albums.
Achtung Baby from my perspective is a classic, so is ATYCLB and The Joshua Tree. So, after getting used to some fabulous songs, songs like 'ONE' etc, when 'Zooropa' was released I must admit at first I said, 'whooah, what's going on here. Have U2 just thrown out a piece of thrash at the public, thinking alright we've made it now, we can just release anything and it will sell millions.

Oh, how wrong I was to be so judgemental. After, listening to the album several times, and it really did take quite a few plays before the songs and the depth of the album began to register.
Now, I rate it very highly, U2 would be first to admit that it wasn't quite the success as they anticipated, but that's why we still stick with them, the're not afraid to experiment, to try new sounds, add some technology, Zooropa has it's moments, 'LEMON' is a beautiful song as is Stay Faraway..and of course it also gave U2 an opportuniy to reinvent themselves and allowed us a deeper look into Bono and his alter-egos.

Great Post this.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:29 AM   #23
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:00 PM
I love Zooropa. It's not my favourite U2 CD - that's Under A Blood Red Sky (Boy if you want studio CDs only) - but I really do like it.

Zooropa - absolutely brilliant. I could listen to this over and over again. I used to hate the long intro, and when I'm just interested in listening to the lyrics I'll skip it, but one day in the car, I was listening to it on my discman and I realised it wasn't bad at all.

Babyface - I initially couldn't stand this song, but now I don't mind it. Probably the worst song on the CD in my opinion.

Numb - great song and a really good video. I do prefer the version on Best Of 1990-2000, but the original is still quite good.

Lemon - for some reason, I adore the "midnight is where the day begins" line. This song ... wow, it blew me away when I first heard it.

Stay - classic song. What more do I need to say?

Crashed Car - initially I didn't think much of this song. I didn't like it, but I didn't hate it. Lately, when I was typing out the lyrics to it (I'm typing out the lyrics to all the U2 songs I have for the sheer fun of it), I realised it was actually quite a good track and I've found some appreciation for it.

Some Days Are Better Than Others - it and Zooropa vie for best track in my opinion. I think this is a really neat song, and was the first song on the CD I listened to (because when I got it there was a muddle-up and the CD should've been Pop and I was dying to hear the original version of Gone. What a shock I got!).

The First Time - hated it when I first heard it on the Best Of CD, but now it's grown on me a bit, and I like it ... ever so slightly. Some good lyrics.

Dirty Day - can't say I like this one much. Better than Babyface, but it doesn't get going enough. Good lyrics, though.

The Wanderer - I love this song, and the vocals are great.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-09-2003, 02:18 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Zooropa is good, but it's not one of my favorites.

Zooropa is a really good song- probably one of the top 3 on the album for me.

Babyface is nothing great... I used to hate it, but now it's ok. I still dont care for it much.

Numb is a good song but I never really got into too much though.

Lemon is a really really good song and probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite on the album.

Stay... The live version of it I love(Both the full-band and acoustic) but I can't say I care THAT much for the album version, although I do like it.

Daddys Gonna Pay... It's ok. I usually skip it. I just don't like it that much.

Some Days Are Better Than Others... love it. I dig the bass on it a lot.

The first time... a decent song, but definitly had no place on the best of album (im sure that subject has been beaten to death here)

Dirty Day... Probably my favorite song on the album. Love the lyrics and the melody and the music... just a great song.

The Wanderer- terrific song and way to finish an album off...

Overall it isn't my favorite album, but it's above average. Yeah, this thread was meant to get away from pop, but I'd rather listen to POP 10 times out of 10 than Zooropa. I can get into the songs on pop more, and it's probably my favorite album.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:25 AM   #25
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:00 AM
I hate Zooropa. Sounds like air coming out of my ass.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:45 PM   #26
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by gherman
I hate Zooropa. Sounds like air coming out of my ass.
An unbacked statement like that is purely just the responce of a very ignorant person.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:30 AM   #27
The Fly

Local Time: 07:00 PM

I think Zooropa is terrific. It's the U2 album that I've been listening to the most, lately. I love the surreal kinda feel to it. I love that beneath all the synthsizers, surface noise, and flashy vocal work, there's a real honesty to it - an honesty that is all the more powerful because it is, in a way, hidden. I love the imagery. I love the way Bono's voice sounds. Zooropa definitely has a place on my "top 5 U2 albums" list.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:13 AM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by mystery girl
I think Zooropa is terrific. It's the U2 album that I've been listening to the most, lately. I love the surreal kinda feel to it. I love that beneath all the synthsizers, surface noise, and flashy vocal work, there's a real honesty to it - an honesty that is all the more powerful because it is, in a way, hidden. I love the imagery. I love the way Bono's voice sounds. Zooropa definitely has a place on my "top 5 U2 albums" list.
Well put! I agree with it all... including ZOOROPA being on my personal top 5 U2 list.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:53 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:00 AM
I forced myself to give The Wanderer a second try a few weeks ago and I'm so glad I did. While I miss hearing Bono's voice, it's such a great song and such intresting lyrics.

Tags
zooropa