Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hole

Babyface
Anyone knows which songs U2 originally intended for the Zooropa EP?

I dont think it's ever been said..

If I were to guess based on which are the most developed sounding, I'd go with..

1 Zooropa
2 Numb
3 Lemon
4 Stay
5 Daddy's Gonna Pay
6 The Wanderer

Would have been one hell of an EP...

They had 13 songs I believe, because HMTMKMKM, WUDM, and IYWTVD all came from these sessions if I remember correctly.

DGPFYCC, The First Time, and Babyface came out of jamming in the studio. Maybe SDABTO as well.

Zooropa was a couple of different song ideas (3, in fact) put together to form a song later in the sessions.

I'd say the original idea was the three singles.

Well it's kind of a misguided question, U2 just didn't know they had that much material to record a whole album in such a short time. It was as if the songs guided their decicsion of make an EP, it was the short time that they had that guided that first gut reaction of "this will only be an EP".

I remember reading an article before the album came out in NME that had the track list and a dserciption of ecah song, and this list included "Babel" which was an instrumental and "In Cold Blood" which has the lyrics are out there somewhere on the web

Wake up dead man, HMTMKMKM, and If God will send his angels were all HIGHLY in consideration for Zooropa. I know that Last night on earth and Velvet Dress were being kicked around during that time, as well as songs called "Untidy Life" and "Nosejob". The ditched HMTMKMKM, WUDM and IGWSHA because they wanted the album to not be a ROCK album in the standard U2 fashion. Good idea because I think Zooropa is perfect as it is.

"In Cold Blood" was a track which was just Bono reading a poem he wrote, and drums in the background. It was supposed to be on the album as well. Bono was really pushing for the acoustic version of "Slow Dancing" because he thought a standard acoustic song might help break the mold of the album, but the other 3 shot it down. Basically Zooropa is great, but it also could've been much much more.

The_acrobat said:
Basically Zooropa is great, but it also could've been much much more.

I used to think this, but over time - probably 9 years since I got it - I've grown to love Zooropa. It's one of those rare albums that has an organic sound all of its own, is listenable all the way through, and has enough to keep you coming back again and again. It's a definite grower. I don't think it could really have been anything more because if they had worked on it more it would have lost something of its defining characteristics.

U2 picked the right songs for the album, I think. They all come together and give the album this feel of... someone walking through an endless city at night, lost and alone. But it's not a depressing album at all, 'cause midnight is where the day begins! Zooropa :heart:

PookaMacP said:

I used to think this, but over time - probably 9 years since I got it - I've grown to love Zooropa. It's one of those rare albums that has an organic sound all of its own, is listenable all the way through, and has enough to keep you coming back again and again. It's a definite grower. I don't think it could really have been anything more because if they had worked on it more it would have lost something of its defining characteristics.

:yes:

It's PERFECT as is.

If they had continued fussing and tinkering with it, they probably would've ruined the qualities that make it so unique.

I love Zooropa! It is one of my favorite U2 albums. :D

I have to agree that it's perfect the way it is but I'm biased (it's my favorite U2 album). On the other hand I wouldn't say no to a release of Zooropa outtakes. :wink:

Hmmm. Interesting tidbits.

Slow Dancing could've been cool if presented right. The First Time made it, and that's a pretty straightforward acoustic number.

As much as I love HMTMKMKM, it could have thrown off the whole Euro-cool balance of the record

mystery girl said:
U2 picked the right songs for the album, I think. They all come together and give the album this feel of... someone walking through an endless city at night, lost and alone. But it's not a depressing album at all, 'cause midnight is where the day begins! Zooropa :heart:

That's the best description of the overall tone of this album that I've ever read. Utterly true. Zooropa could soundtrack some of the Jason Bourne films, if that makes any sense?!

mystery girl said:

Perfect descriptipn!

The lyrics to In Cold Blood are in Bill Flanagan's book, U2 at the end of the world.

If they had continued fussing and tinkering with it, they probably would've ruined the qualities that make it so unique.
yes! ZOOROPA is a great record as it is...whenever there was an overall concept for the 90s i would call it a work in progress... it was a damned good concept... AB/ZOOROPA/POP :up::bow::applaud:

Back
Top Bottom