Zoo TV-Sydney, Pomart-Mexico City Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallucination

Refugee
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if these shows will ever be released on DVD? I've wanted them for so long but I just can't bring myself to buy them on VHS. Anyways any info would be greatly appreciated and I apologise if this type of question has been asked a million times. Thanks.

Good question, me too since I was right at the front in Sydney and I want to see myself!

(Video is crappy when you pause it)

brownda7 said:
Good question, me too since I was right at the front in Sydney and I want to see myself!

(Video is crappy when you pause it)

You watch most of your videos/DVD's with the pause button on?:laugh: BUt yeah I hear ya. I can't bring myself to buy VHS anymore. Especially since the VCR is packed away in a box somewhere. You'd think that in 2004 these videos would have been converted over to DVD by now. Who cares about the Star Wars DVD's(well I do actually) but ZOO TV and Popmart is what I really want.

2 Christmases ago, I was told by a guy who works in a mall video store that ZOO was coming soon and Pop would never be put on DVD. I haven't seen anything else. Perhaps The Edge knows something;)

Edge won't be back for a while.

Maybe for some techno issue they can't be remastered and U2 simply don't want to transfer the crappy VHS onto DVD like people on ebay are doing now...

anybody know if there is an issue?

Last edited:
Hola Amigos :wave:

Please Edge, if you´re reading these posts, if you really want to release the truly best show from Pop Mart Tour on DVD, release Pop Mart Santiago, Chile 11-02-1998 :bow: Is not my own opinion, just ask the guys who have collected bootlegs all these years :yes:

All we know that concert was filmed from the REAL begining ( "Mission Impossible" ) to the very end ( When Chilean Mothers Of The Dissapeared left the stage ) and transmited live.

I still remember when you played "Sunday Bloody Sunday", I had learned that version some days before concert, to see if I could be invited to the stage to play that song with you!!!! (well, all we all have big dreams Edge, or not? ) ;) :edge:

I still don´t understand why you released Mexico City 03-12-1997 as official one from Pop Mart Tour, given U2 played at least 15 concerts better than that one:yes:. Even the first Mexican Night 02-12-1997 was 10 times better than the Official one !!!! :rant:

But with Zoo TV you made it my friend :bow:

Peace :heart:

brownda7 said:
Edge won't be back for a while.

Maybe for some techno issue they can't be remastered and U2 simply don't want to transfer the crappy VHS onto DVD like people on ebay are doing now...

anybody know if there is an issue?

I do remember reading along time ago that U2 don't like to settle. They want to do everything to the best of their ability. I recall reading somthing like the band was waiting for the dvd technology to peak or somthing before converting them. Though I can't name a source and I'm not even sure if I actually read this but it does ring a bell for some reason. Thanks you guys for trying to help or at least showning that I'm not the only one who is wondering about this.

You touched a nerve with me also, Im on uni hols and watched both vids and the boston/ slane dvds this week to procrastinate from assignments and actually was annoyed at the quality of the videos compared to the dvds.

aahh technology.

There was another thread on this a few months ago. The rumor is that Zoo will be put to DVD eventually. THere is no time frame though. Popmart is "supposedly" permanently shelved and may never see DVD release. Apparantly it was not as successful as other releases. We will just have to wait and see. I dont think you will see either though anytime soon. Red Rocks may happen before either of those and that is up in the air as well.

As mentioned above though, trade for copies of the Sao Paolo 97 and/or Santiago 97 DVD's over Mexico City. WAY better shows and they are excellent quality.

Last edited:
Ugh; this is the eternal unaswered question.

ZooTV is such an incredible show...the best tour U2 has ever done, great assortment of songs, awesome, energetic performance, MacPhisto...I could go on all day. No U2 product of any kind comes close to this one in my opinion. It is hands down my favorite.

And to think that this video won a Grammy...and we STILL don't have it on DVD!?!?! It's almost blasphemy.

Popmart would be nice on DVD, but I could live without it.

It might make sense to release the two together - as a double set. Most fans would want both. My VCR broke and I'm not buying another one just to watch Zootv and Popmart. I'm waiting for the DVDs.

Blue Room said:
There was another thread on this a few months ago. The rumor is that Zoo will be put to DVD eventually. THere is no time frame though. Popmart is "supposedly" permanently shelved and may never see DVD release. Apparantly it was not as successful as other releases.

This is exactly what I heard too, that Popmart was not a big enough seller to bother with a re-release of, and that ZOO would come, eventually.

At first I didn't think they'd be able to put PopMart Mexico City on DVD due to the poor quality of the picture, then I saw the Best of '90-'00 DVD with the Gone performance on there and it was crystal clear so it can happen.

I really want that on DVD, that tour was ahead of it's time and would look stunning on DVD now as would the ZOO TV from Oz as well.

Hopefully one day we'll get them both as constant reminders of how stunning those tours were. Sometime in the future we won't use VHS at all, so I'm sure U2 would want all there live shows out on DVD.

U2Kitten said:

This is exactly what I heard too, that Popmart was not a big enough seller to bother with a re-release of, and that ZOO would come, eventually.

I think I may have heard the poor sales thing from you actually. LOL :) I had heard Popmart was shelved but I didnt know why before one of your posts on the subject. (oh, and I realize I got the years wrong on Sao Paolo and Santiago on my prior post on this thread. Should be 1998, not 1997 I'm sure someone would have corrected me eventually).

My dream at this point would be the complete Red Rocks show. Simply because good quality footage of that entire show is not out there. The other shows you can at least get complete very good DVDR copies as all the footage is out there.

Last edited:
Zoo TV live at Sydney cannot be remastered in good enough a quality to be on DVD. I think original filming was not good enough for that to happen.

I have both on Video-CD's created from the VHS tapes so they're not of higher quality but at least they are digital and I can view them on my DVD player with all advantages a digital copy has.

voxson said:
Zoo TV live at Sydney cannot be remastered in good enough a quality to be on DVD. I think original filming was not good enough for that to happen.

I have both on Video-CD's created from the VHS tapes so they're not of higher quality but at least they are digital and I can view them on my DVD player with all advantages a digital copy has.

What ??? :shocked: Just watch "Led Zeppelin DVD", an awesome release containing more than 5 hours of live performances from 1969 to 1979 !!!!! :bow:

Zoo TV Sidney concert was performed in 1993...so if Led Zeppelin could released concerts from many years before Zoo TV and they could remaster all their performances on that DVD, why U2 can´t ?? :coocoo:

ponkine said:

Zoo TV Sidney concert was performed in 1993...so if Led Zeppelin could released concerts from many years before Zoo TV and they could remaster all their performances on that DVD, why U2 can´t ?? :coocoo:

Exactly, with todays technology, i'm sure it can be done, even if the filming was sub par. Maybe to do becasue it was live on pay per view??

brownda7 said:

Maybe to do becasue it was live on pay per view??

Exactly what I was going to say. It wasn't filmed as a feature movie, it was only a broadcast to begin with. It's still hot though:drool:

I also hope that they release all three concerts on dvd! I think if they put any dvds out, they'll probably choose Red Rocks, since it's a classic...but I'd like to see Zoo TV and Popmart on dvd just as much. I agree that it's unlikely they'll put Popmart out on dvd, since it wasn't so commercially successful. I think this is a shame - a lot of the performances on that video are very good. The way they performed Last Night on Earth was perfection, in my opinion! I like the Popmart Mexico version more than the Pop version - and I really like the Pop version!

ponkine said:

What ??? :shocked: Just watch "Led Zeppelin DVD", an awesome release containing more than 5 hours of live performances from 1969 to 1979 !!!!! :bow:

Because that was shot in Film which is much better quality that Zoo TV (it was show for TV).

If you have the VHS's, stop waiting for U2 to release the DVDs and do the following:

Get a TV tuner card, a DVD burner, and DVD authoring software, and install each.

Capture VHS Zoo or Popmart using the authoring software, into an mpeg file. Mark your scene points on the timeline it will likely give you.

Customize the menu screens etc etc

Put a DVD-R in the burner

Click burn

Come back in 30 minutes.

Insert DVD-R into your DVD player, turn TV on

Sit back and relax to the opening chords of 'Zoo Station' or 'Pop Muzik'

Repeat for other VHS

Back
Top Bottom