Zoo Station vs. Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrBrau1 said:
Zooropa. The back 1/2 just runs. Frantic music. One of my favorite pieces of music ever.

Yeah, I totally agree. That sums it perfectly for me.

I know it's probably a tricky song to play live, but I wish they'd work it into the next tour.

Zoo Station...

U2's funkiest song ever.

That song is definitely something, it's electronic, and it's fun to watch Edge play this song. The introduction really brings out the best in Edge, Adam and Larry. That almost 2 minute introduction, and then the sweeping melody of Edge's guitar comes in, simply amazing... :drool:

Aaaargh. So... hard... to... decide. I love them both, but I'd have to go with Zooropa. Absolutely amazing. Too bad it sucked so hard live. (Zoo Station, on the other hand = :drool:)

Last edited:
Zoo Station is the better opener...and probably just falls short of the better song. Zooropa is three songs really. It's like a cinematic song...very significant changes...kinda like Bohemian Rhapsody.

Zoo station was better live, but Zooropa may be the better album opener. A tie?

The two songs have very different beginnings:

Zoo Station kicks you in the teeth and says ACHTUNG! This is the new U2 sound, like it or leave it.

Zooropa sort of floats you through space. The sound has been established, now you just get to float around in it. But then there's a bit of a crash landing, and it turns into something else.

Zooropa probably contains U2's most *perfect* lyrics

"Don't worry baby, it's gonna be alright
Uncertainty can be a guiding light
I hear voices, ridiculous voices
Out in the slipstream
Let's go, let's go overground
Take your head out of the mud baby" - Everything about it; they way bono sings Let's...overground with such passion, Edge repeating "Zooropa" in the background and then the classic U2 quote: "Dream out loud" - This is U2 at their sheer visionary and artistic best. I'm indifferent about the first 2 parts of the song, to be honest, but they help build up to that big climax. Which IMO is them probably at their best. Btw am I the only one who thought Zooropa was enjoyable live? :eyebrow:

Zoo Station live always gives me the chills. Such energy and it really does tell everyone that this is the new U2. The guitar sounds bizarre it shouldn't really fit; but it does! It perfectly complements Adam and Larrys pulsating beat in the background.

Still I would probably pick Zoo Station but it remains a hard choice.:(

Bones58 said:
Btw am I the only one who thought Zooropa was enjoyable live? :eyebrow:

No, I can't stand most of the studio versions, but live it's pretty good.

Both songs aren't songs to me. Meaning: I have never heard anyband, ever, do anything that sounds like these two songs. They are like something, sounds, created from a different planet.

Zooropa - it's my favourite song so beats Zoo Station by a long way but the latter's still a great song!

I remember it mentioned that Zooropa was going to open the Zooropa tour concerts, it's a shame it never did and was only played in brief in the middle of a show. I think it could have made a much better opening than Zoo Station, which could have easily followed it or opened the encore!

Zoo Station

I'll vote for Zoo Station just because I think it's a very cool song with a lot of energy that introduced a new chapter in U2's career. It was the perfect opener for the Zoo TV tour.

But I have a new appreciation for Zooropa after listening to that CD while cruising down the Massachusetts Turnpike today. The title track is very cool, and the whole CD flows nicely. Other drivers may have noticed the grin on my face as images of Mr. Mac Phisto flashed in my mind as Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car played. What a riot...Thankfully I didn't crash MY car...LOL

Zooropa is Mercury. Zoo Station is Pluto.

Both are cool, but only one is a planet.

Z O O R O P A.

Has to be Zooropa. Its one of U2's most beautiful songs and has some of Bono's best lyrics ever;
"Dont worry baby, it'll be alrite
you've got the right shoes to get you through the night.
It's cold outside, but brightly lit.
Skip the subway, lets go too the overground"
Perfect!!!
Zoo Station is the best ever U2 show opener(closely followed by Hawkmoon!)

Back
Top Bottom