Zoo Station: best opening song to a U2 show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
youtwohearts said:

Who am I kidding. They can come on stage and sing the alphabet and Barney songs and I'd be screaming like a looney toon.

agree completely - although I'm pulling for summer holiday, "c" is for cookie:D , or possibly the edge doing his really cool The Batman theme song (serious about the last one)

youtwohearts said:
How about Zooropa? Ultra Violet or Electric Co. are not my first choices :sad: I'd rather have other ones.

Who am I kidding. They can come on stage and sing the alphabet and Barney songs and I'd be screaming like a looney toon.

LOL! I would freak for running to stand still, I love that song...Erm, I'd also like to put in a request for Gloria, Seconds, Exit, Surrender and of course Acrobat. Oh and When I look at The World, that is the most underrated song off of ATYCLB. Thank You!

The Edge said:

Yes. This would be a front runner.

Electric Co would be outstanding! I have been waiting since the Joshua Tree tour for it and I have listed it as the song I would most want to hear that hasnt been done for awhile!! If they play this and most of the new material this tour is made for me already, can't wait! :)

The Edge said:

Yes. This would be a front runner.

Oh my God The Electric Co. back on the set list would be absolute heaven! :drool: That song is just too good and hasen't been played for so long. It's most definitely one of the most interesting and rocking U2 songs ever! Man I hope you guys rehearse that one just to see how it fits with the new stuff. I bet it would do just fine! :wink:

And Zoo Station would definitely be a kick ass song to be on the set list again. It would be really, really cool to see the band performing that one! :yes:

Glad you're back Edge. :up:

WOW!!!!!!!

Just the fact that you guys are thinking about and rehearsing songs like these is GREAT news!!!!!!!

I would be in AWE if they consistently played Electric Co......and Edge says it was a forerunner...WOW!!!!! That would be amazing!

I love Ultra Violet aswell, very cool, very sleek and very charged, Bono's lyrics and vocal preformance are amazing, as is the rest of the band of course! Such a cool guitar sound!

Thanks Edge, come again soon, you always bring the most exciting info!!!!!

(thank God I'm a U2 fan, and what a time to be one!!! lol!)

Edge, in case youre still around and reading this......I doubt it but I hope you will come back...

First things first.... really glad the rehearsals are going well!!!!!!

Ultraviolet making a comeback!?!?!? :drool: HELL yeah that would be great, Edge if U2 could play it on next year's tour and imo, without a doubt, one of the best songs off Achtung Baby. Also Id like to say that it would be very special for me if its played live again for a good reason!

You see, Edge, last time I heard it, back in 1993 during Zooropa tour at Wembley (what a show that was too!) and during that song, you played a video (on one of the big screens on stage) of a woman using sign language to "sing" the song. To me, that was one of the most magical moments of my life, one expressing surprise that a friend of mine was doing that very thing (her name by the way is Rachel Bastikar and she has a credit on the Zoo TV programme) and for a major band like U2 to show it as part of the gig! Amazing! Im also very very proud to be deaf (in case you ask, I can hear the music from my right ear with the aid of an hearing aid) and I use sign language extensively too. So from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!

So, Edge, it would be brilliant to hear it live again...as not only it is one of my favourite songs but also I would proudly "sing" the song in sign language!

Anyway whatever happens, Im still very much looking forward to hear you raise the roof again in 2005! :D

cheers

dougal55
(dougal55@hotmail.com)

The Edge said:

Just looking for a little more rotation in the set list. There are certain "must do's" But you just cant keep recycling

Electric Co, Zoo Station, Ultraviolet...this is more excitement than I can take on a Wednesday morning at the office :faint:

I too would LOVE if you brought back Ultraviolet!!

I'm getting really exciting imaging listen to "Ultraviolet liggghht" on a balmy evening in Croke Park round about next Summer :wink:

:up:Cry/Electric Co live still sends chills up my spine. Awesome live song.:wave::edge:

The Edge said:

It is rehearsing quite well! That can be said...it would be a good fit this time out

This is a dream come true! This is my favorite song of all time as well hehe. "when I look at the world' making it into rehearsing as well my dear Edge? haha And thanks for existing because you gave me a topic to do a speech on today in public speeking with I got an A on.

Edge, if you guys played Zoo Station on this tour it would be a dream come true for me. It's always been my favorite U2 song.

Ultraviolet!!! This was one of the the first u2 songs to jump out at me, It's definitley up there in my all time favorites... i would probably crap my pants if they played this live.

Last edited:
Spoon ... we may be at the same concert since I'm in Indiana ... for that reason by itself and alone, I hope they don't play the song .. or you're on the other side of venue. :ohmy:

dougal55 said:
You see, Edge, last time I heard it, back in 1993 during Zooropa tour at Wembley (what a show that was too!) and during that song, you played a video (on one of the big screens on stage) of a woman using sign language to "sing" the song. To me, that was one of the most magical moments of my life, one expressing surprise that a friend of mine was doing that very thing (her name by the way is Rachel Bastikar and she has a credit on the Zoo TV programme) and for a major band like U2 to show it as part of the gig! Amazing! Im also very very proud to be deaf (in case you ask, I can hear the music from my right ear with the aid of an hearing aid) and I use sign language extensively too. So from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!

God I forgot all about that.. it was very moving wasn't it? Didn't the woman signing have a really kind/serence way about her? I've since got several deaf freinds and didn't realise how many deaf music/U2 fans there are that love the concerts like the rest of us..

I wish I had the Boston DVD and ZooTV show, is the ZooTV show coming to DVD ever?

not to get back on topic or anything, but why is everyone dissing Elevation? I really think it's their best opener. Coming out with the lights on....all the jumping and woohooing. How can you people not like the jumping and the woohooing?

I vote for Rejoice and Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World

If Edge comes back on and reads this I want to put a bug in his ear about two U2 songs I'd like to hear again live.

Dear Edge:

Rejoice from October would be stellar and would be quite timely with what is going on in the world. And you can imagine how much better you could play the song now?

Sample Rejoice Lyric:
This morning
I fall out of bed when I woke up to what he has said
Everything's crazy
But I'm too lazy to lie
And what am I to do?
Just tell me what am I supposed to say?
I can't change the world
But I can change the world in me
If I rejoice
Rejoice

The Other would be Trying To Throw Your Arms around the World. Only because it's a mighty pretty song live. I love the sound of the melody and it gives Bono a chance to emote. (Not like he can't do this on other songs, but this one is so much fun!)

Thanks The Edge!

digsy said:

:lmao:
its not just me then
i can see it now - edges screaming guitar, thumping drums from larry and the ever wicked bassline of mr clayton as bono starts a sing-a-long...
"if you're happy and you know it clap your hands *clap clap*..." :lol:

It's definately not just you!

Axver, you make me laugh. Only you would be express your disdain of a song like that to the Edge. Me, I would have been a little less blunt b/c I would not want to hurt his feelings. Anyway, I thought it was funny.

Edge is probably thinking" Oh Lord, you can't please everyone"!!

:lol:

And also, guys can you believe it? RTSS, Electrico, Ultraviolet and Zoostation. Wow, this is going to be an amazing show.

u2valleygirl said:
Axver, you make me laugh. Only you would be express your disdain of a song like that to the Edge. Me, I would have been a little less blunt b/c I would not want to hurt his feelings. Anyway, I thought it was funny.

Edge is probably thinking" Oh Lord, you can't please everyone"!!

Ha! So true. I'm actually somewhat surprised I chose to be so blunt, but when I have a reaction to something, oh, I have a reaction.

Edge: you can't please everyone, but you know you want to please me by playing 11 O'clock Tick Tock. Yep. The song calls to you. Don't question it.

lol, everybody is so funny.
l liked the elevation opening. its cool that u2 can carry off starting a concert with the lights on...
BUT i wont complain when theres a different opener this time around
i figured it would be something off the new album but who knows. zoo station would be really cool y know
gawd, i cant freakin wait

swandiver said:
Spoon ... we may be at the same concert since I'm in Indiana ... for that reason by itself and alone, I hope they don't play the song .. or you're on the other side of venue. :ohmy:

yay for Hoosier U2 fans!! I think I need to get a group of 'em goin :D

I'm really excited about the songs you guys are considering, Edge, especially Ultra Violet! That'll be just fantastic! Of course I'm with the crowd that would be whoopin' and hollarin' if U2 came on stage and played barney and "if you're happy and you know it" :p I'd like to hear the Itsy Bitsy Spider, myself... and maybe the Wheels on the Bus...:D

As for openers - it'd sure be interesting if Zoo Station was an opener again, yep. But didn't Edge say in another thread that Vertigo would probably be the opener...? Oh well, whatever the band decides will definatley roxx0rz my soxx0rz.

AtomicBono said:

As for openers - it'd sure be interesting if Zoo Station was an opener again, yep. But didn't Edge say in another thread that Vertigo would probably be the opener...? Oh well, whatever the band decides will definatley roxx0rz my soxx0rz.

I don't think they would use Zoo Station as the opener but just have it on the set. :hyper:

The Edge said:

Just looking for a little more rotation in the set list. There are certain "must do's" But you just cant keep recycling

Well in that case, why not try a practice run of "Like A Song"? I know that was only performed once live at the start of the UK WAR tour in 1983, but for my friends and I, it is one of our top 20 U2 songs of all time. Why was this song dropped after one show and never played again? I understand some songs don't work very well live, but perhaps you could find away around what ever the problems were, change things, so it would be possible to play a good live version.

I just want to thank you for taking the time to talk to everyone here about your plans! We all love Vertigo and can't stop listening to it! Looking forward to the release of the album and the tour that will follow! :up:

Jim said:

God I forgot all about that.. it was very moving wasn't it? Didn't the woman signing have a really kind/serence way about her? I've since got several deaf freinds and didn't realise how many deaf music/U2 fans there are that love the concerts like the rest of us..

Hi Jim! :wave:

yeah it was very moving when I saw it first time in Earls Court the previous year during Zoo TV (imho, the best U2 tour of all time!). I met Rachel quite a few times thru the years and she told me that for her effort, she got a free T-shirt and free tickets to see U2 in the very same concert I was at but didnt realise until months afterwards! oh well at least I got to know that she enjoyed the gig immensely and how she got picked for the video and vice versa...

Anyway yeah there are quite a few deaf U2 fans here in UK who loves music like the rest of us and would dearly love to see them live next year too. They'd like it extra, extra loud than at home! :wink: :D I even took the trouble of taking 3 deaf friends to see U2 in Slane back in 2001 and they loved every minute of it!

(sorry to all if this is off-topic) Hey since you got several deaf friends why dont you let them know about me (email me: dougal55@hotmail.com) and maybe they might want to link up with me for future U2 gigs if they like. Im trying to organise a get together so we can have a sign language interpreter at the concert. I heard it has been done in USA so I would like to see that happen in UK/Europe too. I have a contact at Principle Management who can be able to help on that matter.

cheers!

dougal

Back
Top Bottom