ZOMG, We've, like, NEVAR done this!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, ORIGINAL THREAD!!! :up:

1. ACHTUNG FUCKING BABY!
2. All That You Can't Leave Behind
3. Pawp
4. The Joshua Fallen Down Tree
5. Hut Dab

Wait, that's not right at all. Here we go:

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Passengers
4. October
5. Boy

pmg i liek pop!!!!!111 it iz da bestest 1!!!111 all da other onez sux but i liek ab 2!~!!11 and zooropas and addyclubz n jt1111!111!11!1 tose 2 gud 1!!!!!!11111!1!1!!1!1!!!!!1

1. Boy :drool:

2. Pop

3. The Joshua Tree

4. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

5. Achtung Baby

5. October :shifty:

Not necessarily in that order, except Boy stays on top.

I feel really, really insulted right now. :angry: Nonetheless, because I'm such a sweetheart, I'll stay on topic. Barely. :grumpy:

1. Zooropa
2. Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. War
5. HTDAAB

LemonMelon said:
I feel really, really insulted right now. :angry: Nonetheless, because I'm such a sweetheart, I'll stay on topic. Barely. :grumpy:

1. Zooropa
2. Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. War
5. HTDAAB

Hi there big fella...:flirt:

I wouldn't insult. I was just INSPI(RED) by you!:D

topplehatU2 said:
Am I one of the few October fans?

I truly do not understand why October gets such a thrashing from people here. I think it's a brilliant album with arguably the best recorded performances of Adam and Larry (I'd say that the only competition is Pop for Adam and War for Larry).

Gloria, I Threw A Brick, Rejoice, Fire, Tomorrow, and Scarlet are all fantastic. October's one of the few U2 albums I play regularly nowadays.

LemonMelon said:

:lol: OK, fine. Apology ACCEPT(RED). Give me a hug. :happy: :hug:

You totally spelled that wrong on purpose. Unacceptable.:tsk: Don't you know this place is serious business?:mad:

But since you asked nicely.....come here....:sexywink:

:kiss: you get a kiss....how frickin' excited are you?

:uhoh: A friend asked me this the other day, and I didn't want to do it, because it was too hard to choose :lol: I'll give it a try though:

1. Pop
2. Achtung Baby
3. The Joshua Tree
4. The Unforgettable Fire
5. Zooropa

Close enough :shrug:

LemonMelon said:

1. Zooropa
2. Joshua Tree
3. Pop
4. War
5. HTDAAB

you fail :tsk:

U2isthebest said:

You totally spelled that wrong on purpose. Unacceptable.:tsk: Don't you know this place is serious business?:mad:

But since you asked nicely.....come here....:sexywink:

:kiss: you get a kiss....how frickin' excited are you?

:uhoh: I promise, my acceptance of your apology was entirely since(red). :lol:

OK, enough horrible puns. :grumpy: Back to business.

October is good, but not great, IMO. Yes, there are classics (Gloria, I Fall Down, Rejoice, Tomorrow, October), but then there's quite a bit of garbage as well (Fire, With A Shout, Is That All?). Above average, methinks.

Axver said:
I truly do not understand why October gets such a thrashing from people here. I think it's a brilliant album with arguably the best recorded performances of Adam and Larry (I'd say that the only competition is Pop for Adam and War for Larry).
The same friend I mentioned above recently bought October. She's so far my only successful conversion to U2ism, and her first reaction after listening to the album a couple of times was "October SUCKS!"
So since then, I've been sort of pondering why October gets such a bad rap. So far my conclusion is that people tend to overlook the brilliance of the music itself, and focus on the frequent repetitiveness of the lyrics (on some songs), and the overt religiousity (which many people find uncomfortable). Other than that, the only thing keeping it from being higher on my list is that several of the songs (through no fault of their own, because they're good songs) just don't stand out to me and grab me yet. And I put emphasis on the "yet", because there have been cases of it taking me years to get into perfectly awesome songs. All I Want Is You and City of Blinding Lights are two recent examples.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
The same friend I mentioned above recently bought October. She's so far my only successful conversion to U2ism, and her first reaction after listening to the album a couple of times was "October SUCKS!"

Seems a lot of people do that. Personally, I've really enjoyed October ever since I bought it, when I was just becoming a U2 fan. It was the Boy/October/War/UABRS stuff (and RAH) that turned me from a casual fan into a U2 nut in the first place. I've come to enjoy October even more since I've drifted away from U2, bizarrely enough, though my general opinion of songs hasn't changed much. i.e. I still think Gloria is the best song on there and that I Fall Down is the biggest clunker. The only one that ever grew on me was Scarlet, which I initially overlooked but now adore.

So since then, I've been sort of pondering why October gets such a bad rap. So far my conclusion is that people tend to overlook the brilliance of the music itself, and focus on the frequent repetitiveness of the lyrics (on some songs), and the overt religiousity (which many people find uncomfortable).

I think for a lot of people, they go in expecting it to suck because the "October sucks" mindset is so prevalent and new fans are frequently told to buy it last, that it's a completists' item. It also doesn't help that it's the most obscure U2 album - even Boy has I Will Follow to bring in casual listeners with a footing in territory they know. I suppose I was lucky in that I went from the Best Of 1980-1990 to UABRS, so I had the familiarity of IWF/SBS/NYD, then I fell in love with Gloria and ITABTAW and got October only after that stage. I imagine many people don't have the UABRS stage, in which case October would seem very foreign and unfamiliar within the U2 catalogue.

And regarding the religious themes of the lyrics, I'd like to say first of all that I usually DETEST religious-themed rock music. This isn't due to the fact that I dislike religion (depending on what day you get me, I'm either agnostic or Christian), but due to the fact most religious rock is fucking dreadful because it tries to force its opinion onto you. But the thing about October is that I find it's a sincere expression of "here's where we are in our lives and what we're thinking; we're not all too concerned with whether you, the listener, agree with us, just that you respect it and can maybe draw something from what we say, even if you disagree with our conclusions". That, I think, is why Gloria works and crap like songs by the Newsboys don't.

(Also, it's worth noting that I feel an attachment to October because it reminds me of when I was 15-16 and just seriously getting into U2. Great nostalgic memories there.)

xaviMF22 said:

not until you remove that musical obscenity from your list:tsk:

Give me a second to put on my sheep costume.

.......................f*cking zipper...

OK, I'm ready.

HIIIIIIIII GUYS!!11$!#$##3333 I"M NOO two this forum! It's SOOOO gr8! I especially love the blue color! It's so...not red! :happy: :cute: I have a myspace, want to see??? http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=53748692

OK, so I guess this is the section for talkibg about U2 right! I like that one dude's hat.

mk, so my list looks like this:

1. Pop (it's got a SHINY cover! :ohmy: )
2. Greatest Hits 1980-1990 (it has that song with boyzone in the music video :hyper: )
3. ATYCLB (it has that song about being stuck in a moment! I don't understand it but WOW, it's so deep :comthrust:
4. Joshua Tree (it sold like 87 gazillion)
5. Achtung Baby (because I heard it's good :happy: )

I hope you can see my post, I like silver words! :happy:

LemonMelon said:

Give me a second to put on my sheep costume.

.......................f*cking zipper...

OK, I'm ready.

HIIIIIIIII GUYS!!11$!#$##3333 I"M NOO two this forum! It's SOOOO gr8! I especially love the blue color! It's so...not red! :happy: :cute: I have a myspace, want to see??? http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=53748692

OK, so I guess this is the section for talkibg about U2 right! I like that one dude's hat.

mk, so my list looks like this:

1. Pop (it's got a SHINY cover! :ohmy: )
2. Greatest Hits 1980-1990 (it has that song with boyzone in the music video :hyper: )
3. ATYCLB (it has that song about being stuck in a moment! I don't understand it but WOW, it's so deep :comthrust:
4. Joshua Tree (it sold like 87 gazillion)
5. Achtung Baby (because I heard it's good :happy: )

I hope you can see my post, I like silver words! :happy:

LIAM!?!!?!?!?!??!?!:ohmy: :shocked: :scream: I LOVE your song about ,like, not looking back..and, like, being angry. OH, and that one about wandering walls!!!! or is that wondering walls?:scratch:

Now neither of those make sense...were you, like, totally faced when you wrote them?

Back
Top Bottom