You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: No wonder Michael Stipe has been ON NOTICE for you lately. He always talks and shouts his way through recent performances.

I know, right? I just want to grab him by the shoulders, shake him hard and scream "Sing the notes, you magnificent bastard! SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!!!!"

Of course, I'd probably snap him like a twig if I shook him too hard, so maybe I'd just do the screaming part.

I sent it to 3-4 casual U2 fans and they said they liked it, one loves it, one says it won't be as "big" as Vertigo, one says it doesnt sound as sing alongy as HTDAAB is. But they all liked it.

Ironically Yahweh, as I had this annoying fucking song punishing my head today at work, I realized this song sounds a lot like NICKLEBACK'S ANIMALS. That's the funny thing, I bet you think Nickleback does not produce quality music, but U2 does. However, this new piece of garbage sounds just like something Nickleback would throw out.

Find it on youtube.

Listen to the rapid fire lyrics, just like our boy Bono unfortunately.

This is hilarious. One minute the song sounds like Nickelback, next it sounds like Elvis Costello, or the B-52s, or Muse, or the Beatles, or Vertigo. They can't all be right, so some of you must have shocking ears or poor musical judgement. Or maybe they are all right and U2 have stumbled upon some stunningly diverse sound.

In the interest of totally dodging the flame war going on, let's take a turn in direction...

...Because we've hit a point in this thread where we're talking about the song's "substantive lyrics" (or lack thereof), allow me to post my thoughts on the lyrics:

I think the song is much deeper than what people read into. It's not just a "rock song", it's something more than that. "Some Days Are Better Than Others" was throwaway, this is actually quite deep.

It's a condemnation of war and terrorism tactics, as well as the media and public reaction to it. Bono's "never seen a moon like this", where things are as dark as they are. Because, though he lived through the Vietnam War and the troubles in Ireland, there was political action being demanded from the public. We're living in times where, at least in America, the youth is largely indifferent to anything political (before you youngsters try and tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm 22. And I am definitely ashamed of the apathy of my generation.)

"Satan loves a bomb scare" is definitely a reference to suicide bombers/the WMD issue of the Iraq War. "Sexy boots", as stated above, is super sarcastic, implying army boots. But I think it's a double sided image: the image of army boots, and soldiers fighting.

But also the image that Bono stated in 2004: "these are not sandals on my feet. I'm no hippie. These are boots. I come from punk rock." The "boots" seem to be those punk rock boots, it's Bono urging the public to "Get their boots on" and get involved, politically.

"The future needs a big kiss" because we've never seen times like this. Times are dark and things need to get better quickly.

I find "fun fair" to be sarcastic as well. Bono seems to be mocking the idea that the youth is generally uninterested in politics and have become intensely materialistic. Anyone who turns on MTV at any hour of the day can see this. "Satan loves a bomb scare but he won't scare you" means that terrorists are aiming to drive fear into the hearts of citizens, but the youth doesn't care because they don't pay attention. The only people scared by terrorists are people Bono's age because they're the only ones paying attention!

"You free me from the dark dream: candy, floss, ice cream." It's a condemnation of how bubblegum the music scene has become. Bono grew up with Dylan, with "Fortunate Son", and other huge political anthems. The United States, in particular, is in the throes of a massive recession and war and what are the young people listening to? "Got Money", "Stacks on deck, Patron on ice, you can have whatever you like..." It's all materialistic, bubblegum shit. The kids go nuts for it but "the ghosts aren't real", as in the songs have no substance.

Bono seems to make one last plea for the youth: "Let me in the sound." As in "listen to us. Let us in the debate. Let's get political. Forget about the Womanizer, forget about the Patron you have on ice, forget about the lollipops. We're here to talk about important stuff - LISTEN to us, or people like us."

He stated that on this record, they'd be going for the younger crowd. I don't think he just means in terms of sonic quality, but in lyrical content as well.

This is hilarious. One minute the song sounds like Nickelback, next it sounds like Elvis Costello, or the B-52s, or Muse, or the Beatles, or Vertigo. They can't all be right, so some of you must have shocking ears or poor musical judgement. Or maybe they are all right and U2 have stumbled upon some stunningly diverse sound.

Get On Your Boots is a TRULY Eternal Song; it has existed in various forms for decades.

I sent it to 3-4 casual U2 fans and they said they liked it, one loves it, one says it won't be as "big" as Vertigo, one says it doesnt sound as sing alongy as HTDAAB is. But they all liked it.

I'm gonna show it to two friends later on, both casual U2 fans, gonna see what they think. :D

My one friend, who is a very casual fan and only knows what he's heard on the best ofs and the radio, replied to my text telling him the new single was out:

"It's funky and cool. I like it."

Keep in mind, this man is a Britney Spears fan who also enjoys Nickelback, Staind, 3 Doors Down, and mainstream pop radio. I have faith that this will do big numbers on the radio all of a sudden.

I hear bits of Gregorian Chant in it, myself.

I said it sounded identical to "Wild Wild West". There is no denying it. It's identical. Anyone listening subjectively can hear that.

As far as Nickleback, the point is, you all are on here blowing your wads about how diverse and new this song is. It's not, and it's no different than the overblown commercial crap floating out there like Nickleback, the very band one of your misinformed friends decided to suggest I listen to since I am obviously not good enough to listen to U2 because I don't like GOYB. The styles of singing are very close.

My Gregorian Chant joke had nothing to do with you.

Edit: well, okay, it evolved from what you'd said earlier, but it wasn't directed at you to provoke any sort of response.

I know exactly what you mean. I think some people on this forum need to ask themselves that question too- would you really be listening to this if it wasn't U2?

Yes I would.

But also, there is a point to be made in that the reason i like U2 isn't 100% based on the song. I like them as a band. I liek what they do. i like they WAY the Edge plays the guitar, i like Bono's voice.

It's more than this one song. I like the band.

I think the mixed reactions on here is fantastic. I personally wouldn't mind if those fans of the bands last two albums hated this song. That's the beauty of great art. I agree with pitchfork when they said that U2 are always more interesting when they try something different. To me, this song is avperfect blend of the abruptness of pop and the subtleties of achtung baby.

I have no problem with people loathing this song. I'd be surprised if people didn't. I think the song is brilliant, the hooks aren't as obvious as some of their more commercial singles but once they get under your skin, they stay and grow and fester. I couldn't be happier with this song.

I'm sure there will be some anthems for the more traditional fans.

I said it sounded identical to "Wild Wild West". There is no denying it. It's identical. Anyone listening subjectively can hear that.

As far as Nickleback, the point is, you all are on here blowing your wads about how diverse and new this song is. It's not, and it's no different than the overblown commercial crap floating out there like Nickleback, the very band one of your misinformed friends decided to suggest I listen to since I am obviously not good enough to listen to U2 because I don't like GOYB. The styles of singing are very close.

why can't you just say "i don't like it" instead of coming off as an asshole? i mean, i don't like vertigo, sweetest thing, beautiful day, elevation, one, but i don't sound like an asshole when i say it. sounds to me like you're just here to start shit. just my opinion.

I'm really glad I don't hear the Wild Wild West comparison, because that is a horrible, awful, no-good song.

And maybe I don't hear the comparison because I've chosen to block all memory of that crappy song from my brain. Which works just fine for me.

I think the mixed reactions on here is fantastic. I personally wouldn't mind if those fans of the bands last two albums hated this song. That's the beauty of great art. I agree with pitchfork when they said that U2 are always more interesting when they try something different. To me, this song is avperfect blend of the abruptness of pop and the subtleties of achtung baby.

I have no problem with people loathing this song. I'd be surprised if people didn't. I think the song is brilliant, the hooks aren't as obvious as some of their more commercial singles but once they get under your skin, they stay and grow and fester. I couldn't be happier with this song.

I'm sure there will be some anthems for the more traditional fans.

Thats a fair point Walt. I do think though, as much as people hear don't like it, there is a very HTDAAB sound in terms of production. Don;t get me wrong, Eno and lanois do it waaaaay better, but in terms of the style, I can hear them playing AB and Pop songs in the style of HTDAAB

Would I be listening to it if it wasn't U2? Absolutely.

Sometimes I think that thought backwards. I'll hear a new CD and think "God, I wish it was U2 performing these songs!"

Such as the latest Kings of Leon CD.

I'm really glad I don't hear the Wild Wild West comparison, because that is a horrible, awful, no-good song.

And maybe I don't hear the comparison because I've chosen to block all memory of that crappy song from my brain. Which works just fine for me.

i dont remember the song. couldnt compare them if i tried.

Id say, given the unmber of songs that have been written EVER, it would be hard not to find SOMETHING that sounds pretty close

I can KIND OF see the similarities between GOYB and Vertigo... if Achtung Baby dragged Vertigo through a gutter in the back of a dark alley and raped it.

The first thing that came to mind was Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues. I'm not sure why, as when I really think about it, there isn't a lot of simlilarity. The chant-y part of the verses is kind of reminiscent. My brother immediately said Queens of the Stone Age. Apart from that, I think the song is pretty unique. We should compile a list of all the influences poeple claim to hear. That would be an incredibly diverse list!

Ok, you have taken me 100% out of context. My comment that maybe you should leave the forum was a response to your pissing and moaning about the way in which the forum is run. It is run by people who give up a serious portion of their lives to keep this place organised, and to squash bitch-fests like this one I am, once again against my better judgement, engaging in.

Again, in the second paragraph you ASSUME that everyone is acting on blind faith. You call me a hypocrite for question someone not liking the song (which i NEVER did), yet apparently, anyone who does like the song is acting in blind faith. Give me a break here.

I will explain and adress each of your points from a musical discussion perspective:

Comment 1: There's no melody.

This is an asonine statement. Even numb has a melody. The melody of this song, especially the chorus is very different to anything we have heard from the band, at least in a long time. People wanted Achtung Baby back, well the chorus shows hallmarks of the darkness in that album.

Comment 2: There's no substantive lyrics.

Substantive is derivative of the meaning you draw from them. There have been 100's of posts about the meanings of these lyrics. Themes include the middle-east conflict, treatment of women in middle-eastern cultures, consumerism, innocence.

Comment 3: There's no guitar solo.

I could probably name 100 U2 songs where there is no guitar solo. Edge doesn't like soloing. he was quoted as saying this recently. But, although not technically 'solo' he does play some nice licks and fills over the breakdown and final section. This is coming from a guitarist, who has followed Edge's guitar work closely for many years.

Comment 4: The chorus "get on your boots yeah" in Edge's high pitched voice sounds terrible.

Your opinion, entitled to it, I respectfully disagree. I feel the vocal harmony is very eclectic, and offers a dark-edge (pardon the pun) to the whole song.

Comment 5: The whole song has an annoying repetitive vibe to it.

While I see your point, is this not inherent in all songs, given that they generally follow a structure, complete with verses and choruses? (Probably comes from the MELODY too???). The structure is actually very original.

Comment 6: Reminds me of video game music.

Fair enough

Actually, you're lying or you have selective memory. My post said nothing about how the forum was run until AFTER your comment. Go back and read. This "bitch-fest" is called a discussion. Isn't that what a forum is for?

Comment 1: It is your opinion that there is a melody here, that it's just sooooooo new and different that it is as groundbreaking as something on Achtung Baby. I think that you have your U2 goggles on. My opinion is that it is crap. Your argument is used by a ton of shitty indy artists who put out crap music then hide behind the veil of "witty", "against the grain", "fresh". No, actually it may just be crap. Anyway, I'll agree to disagree.

Comment 2: While I agree that lyrical meanings can be subjective, there is no way anyone could state with an honest face that Bono is writing like he did in the mid 80's and early 90's. Just read the lyrics to earlier songs, then read GOYB's. It's contrived, it's shallow, it has no substance. It took him four years to write this? Let me in the sound? I mean come one, Kanye West's written better material than this.

Comment 3: You don't have to lecture me on the Edge. I know all about the Edge's distinctive style and how started out blah blah blah. I've read all my little U2 books too. Learned about the echo chamber and how his brother made his own guitar early on. The point is, all you have is some repetitive rock riff. No colour, nothing that jumps out at you with melody. Just "Da na na...na,na,na....and over and over again. It's mindless. Again, four years for this?

Comment 4: Your opinion is noted. I think it sounds ridiculously annoying.

Comment 5: Yes, most songs follow a pattern. However, many songs are very creative and intricate and/or complex. This song is about as simple and repetitive as it gets. Much worse than Vertigo. I never thought I'd say this, but Vertigo looks like a sonnet compared to this nonsense.

Comment 6: Yes, it sounds like something on a motorcycle game for Sega Genesis. Unfortunately, it will probably be on the Rock Guitar game before it's all said and done.

:heart: vocal obnoxious minority that offers little in the way of constructive criticism and goes out of their way to basically guilt others into enjoying the tune.

jokebox

why can't you just say "i don't like it" instead of coming off as an asshole? i mean, i don't like vertigo, sweetest thing, beautiful day, elevation, one, but i don't sound like an asshole when i say it. sounds to me like you're just here to start shit. just my opinion.

No, no. I just dropped an opinion about the song and got a bunch of smartass comments. Then I commented on their comments, and now we are here. Isn't life grand?

Y'all are funny man....

4000 posts today about this song......

To those that like it: God Bless Your Souls. Awesome. I am truly happy you got what you waited so long for.

To those who think otherwise: keep the faith a little longer; we haven't heard the album and I would think there's much better to come.

as far as the comparisons; that's just it: it sounds like stuff they've done before, as everyone is comparing it to something...everything from Vertigo and Elevation and The Fly and Discotechque and Fast Cars to Wild Wild West and Pump It Up and When The Levee Breaks and Rehab.....

W000t....in 3 weeks everyone will be like "When's the album leak??"

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom