You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, and it was less important to the structure of the song itself.

I still like GOYB though. I actually think the music is pretty damn awesome. Bono is my least favorite part of it by a mile, always has been. He actually sounded more strained on the beach clip.

Well agreed. I think if his vocals were a bit more deep, strong, cool, calm, collected, lungs full of air, and without this element of seeming like he's trying too hard to sound cool.

I've just found out that I love the drums during the "you don't know..." part of the song. :drool:

I'm really hoping that there's no fifth part of this thread. Seeing people talking so much about Boots is gonna be harder to not listen to it again until the album comes out. :wink:

Well agreed. I think if his vocals were a bit more deep, strong, cool, calm, collected, lungs full of air, and without this element of seeming like he's trying too hard to sound cool.

I think Lanois was talking more literally than people know about the bird comment - I think any perceived strength in Bono's voice is going to come from his sense of rhythm, not lung capacity, and insanely clean, high notes. The Kermit days seem a thing of the past.

Actually, Bono's contribution is probably my favourite part of the track, if only for the lyrics.

Last edited:
I think the whole 'oh my god I'm doing down/I don't wanna drown/let me in the sound/let me in the sound' detour with the Beastie Boys style hip-hop beat is one of the coolest fucking things they've done in a long time. And the chorus(I stress again, 'you don't know how beautiful you are...' is the chorus, NOT 'sexy boots/get on your boots') is one of the best they've put on record this decade. I don't think it sounds all that much like Vertigo either. The speak-sing verses are the only thing they have in common, imo.

I think the whole 'oh my god I'm doing down/I don't wanna drown/let me in the sound/let me in the sound' detour with the Beastie Boys style hip-hop beat is one of the coolest fucking things they've done in a long time. And the chorus(I stress again, 'you don't know how beautiful you are...' is the chorus, NOT 'sexy boots/get on your boots') is one of the best they've put on record this decade. I don't think it sounds all that much like Vertigo either. The speak-sing verses are the only thing they have in common, imo.

Well, there's the beginning with the drums, then the riff immediately. Vertigo is like that; there's the ending also, with the Yeah Yeah Hey Hey codas, and the feedback squeals.

I think it would've been cooler if the band had just let it fade out during the repeating 'Get on your boots' at the end, or maybe end it with the chorus, with all instruments cutting out and have 'you aaa-arr-ree' end it.

Discotheque is a lot different than the last two rock singles in the amount of 'downtime' in it, downtime meaning the extremely vocally layered atmospheric buildups at the beginning and during the bridge. If you compare Boots to Discotheque, it seems a lot more like Vertigo. Just saying.

I'm really hoping that there's no fifth part of this thread. Seeing people talking so much about Boots is gonna be harder to not listen to it again until the album comes out. :wink:

Oh, but there is gonna be a 5th part, you wait and see. :mac:

The guitar riff reminds me of Discotheque, the bass line reminds me of Salome, the palm muting in the verses reminds me of Vertigo, the chorus reminds of Fast Cars, and its function as a "puzzling" lead single reminds me of The Fly.

Perfect. Lock the thread. This is all you need to know about GOYB.

Don't you know that 40+ persons say the word "sexy" just to look cooler?? :wink:

:doh::doh:

:lol:

Well I was guessing Bonoz was talking more about the tone and sound of the voice rather than the words used, but maybe you are right...

It brings me to a point I heard talked about yesterday that I never really thought of...

But someone had mentioned to me that she thought this single will do much better in Europe than it will in the US. I was a little perplexed and asked her if that was because it sounded more "European", she said, "no, no, no... It's because Americans are prudes and we have this stigma about people a certain age even mentioning the word 'sexy', but Europeans have a much different approach."

Now I don't know how much water that theory holds, but it was an interesting one...

I've had a few days to digest the song. All in all - it's a great tune. It's not as melodically HUGE as Vertigo, but that will also increase its lasting value. Well written, some great little hooks, nice layers, definitely doesn't sound like U2, which to me is a good thing. it's playful and mischievous, which is something U2 doesn't do often. When they do, they more often than not make a mess.

What's missing, though, and where it lags behind the top tier of the U2 canon, are the lyrics. Discotheque is a great example in this regard. A pretty bare-bones riff, playful melody, but what makes it more than just a good-time song, are the lyrics. There's depth in them, and that makes a hell of a lot of difference to me. It's the same thing with Mysterious Ways. GOYB, even though it has less cringe-worthy lyrics than Vertigo, is filled with too many Bonoisms, to me has a pretty trite sentiment, and doesn't make me feel much or give food for thought in SOME way. That's a big part of a song staying with me.
I know many people will respond by saying that there's no need for U2 to be "meaningful" every single song. I don't want every song to be about the darkness of love or geopolitical strife - joy is fine too. But I'd like something to chew on, as well.

We get to hear 11 U2 songs every 4 years, so I'd like them to do a little more for me than provide enjoyment as well written pop tunes (which this is, and I mean that in a good way).

Haha. That's true, but they never really worked on Bangers to make it the tune it COULD have been IMO...

Get On Your Boots > Bodysnatchers.

Bodysnatchers was one of the weaker('weak' being a relative term) tracks on In Rainbows.

Get On Your Boots > Bodysnatchers.

Bodysnatchers was one of the weaker('weak' being a relative term) tracks on In Rainbows.

Relative is the key word there, my friend. That album has no fucking filler, IMO. Agree that Bodysnatchers is not up there with some of the others, but on an album that has 15 Step, Jigsaw, Nude, All I Need, and Arpeggi, that's not saying very much.

:lol:

Well I was guessing Bonoz was talking more about the tone and sound of the voice rather than the words used, but maybe you are right...

It brings me to a point I heard talked about yesterday that I never really thought of...

But someone had mentioned to me that she thought this single will do much better in Europe than it will in the US. I was a little perplexed and asked her if that was because it sounded more "European", she said, "no, no, no... It's because Americans are prudes and we have this stigma about people a certain age even mentioning the word 'sexy', but Europeans have a much different approach."

Now I don't know how much water that theory holds, but it was an interesting one...

Hmmm... I don't know. I'm not american neither european, but the person who said this to you seems right. I've always felt that americans are more prude than other people. But I may be completely wrong.

What does this even mean?

It means that it's got more to do with psychology than it does with his voice. In his singing he just seems way too eager to impress, sound cool and hip, trying hard to 'fit in' somewhere. Analogy: like your 50 year old daddy trying too hard to impress you and your friends so that you think he's cool. Compare his sound now to the sound he had even up to Popmart. Listen to most of the songs pre-ATYCLB and you'll see what I'm talking about. His voice had this aura of assurance and coolness to it.

it is a weaker song on the album, i agree. but weaker than GOYB? you must really hate Radiohead to say that.

On the contrary, I love Radiohead very much. I think they're one of the most brilliant bands of the last two decades. I just think Get On Your Boots is better than Bodysnatchers. At the moment anyway.

Great.... now Im listening to Radiohead. ¬¬

:wink:

It means that it's got more to do with psychology than it does with his voice. In his singing he just seems way too eager to impress, sound cool and hip, trying hard to 'fit in' somewhere. Analogy: like your 50 year old daddy trying to hard to impress you and your friends so that you think he's cool. Compare his sound now to the sound he had even up to Popmart. Listen to most of the songs pre-ATYCLB and you'll see what I'm talking about. His voice had this aura of assurance and coolness to it.

this, i agree with.

Gonna close this one before I hit the sack (its almost at 1000 anyway). I think its probably safe to say that we have enough other GOYB discussions going around at the moment so we can now disperse to those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom