You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there's some good old bashers out there, but this is why I love the band so much, they reinvent themselves and give us something fresh instead of resting on their laurels and pushing the same old stuff on us. They want new fans and this will get them some. And don't get me started about Bono being a hypocrite, we're all hypocrites in some way shape or form and the boys don't need to tell us how much money they donate, didn't Jesus say that when you're giving, don't let the right hand know what the left hand is doing (basically there's no need to boast bc man cannot boast on his works alone) and I can't think of one band who has done more good work than them (Amnsety, ONE, RED, Self Aid, Live Aid I and II, etc. etc.) and don't they deserve the right to enjoy their lives a bit??? Have you sold all that you have and given it to the poor, probably none of us have and I'm sure almost everyone in this forum is in the top 2% of the wealthiest people in the world if you look at the numbers considering the whole global population so it's basically the pot calling the kettle black in this situation. Don't give me all of the BS about the band not holding up their end of the bargain in any situation, they shine and are good examples of what we should all strive to be, not perfect just like you and I, but sincere folks trying to make this world better while living for the next!!

OK....I've finally been able to listen to the song properly (ie. up LOUD, not on crappy work computer) and have to say that, while it's not a song that I fell in love with the very first time I heard it, it is growing on me with every listen. I think by the end of the day I'll be onto a winner!!

At my age, there are only a few things that get me out of bed in the middle of the night: My bladder, the smoke alarm and the telephone.

Lucky for me, on Sunday night it was something more enjoyable: The worldwide debut of a new U2 track.

I wonder if some people here were saying the same thing :)

Ok I've listened to it on every possible type of configuration: computer speakers, nearfield monitors, home surround stereo, high end in-ear monitors...

and I'm starting to like the song less.

I keep having this nagging voice in my head that says 'you damn well know that if this wasn't U2 you wouldn't listen to it'

This is not good :|

Maybe I'll change my mind again tomorrow :hyper:

walkon: you can definately challenge people on their opinions to the song based in a valid and intellectual discussion, not by STARTING a pissing match by calling the opinions of others mind-boggling.

Actually, your original response to my first post was as follows:

"it shouldn't boggle your mind, because some people in the world like emo music, some like all kinds of things.

Respect that other like it, and we'll repect that you don't. (face waving good bye)"

Very adult-like, someone doesn't agree with you, so imply to them to leave the forum? Also, I'm allowed to give my opinion that your opinion is shite. I'm allowed to question why your ears listen to this mangled piece of junk it took four individuals four years to create, and ask why you like it.

It just amazes me the blind faith every one on here has, and if someone disagrees, the responses are immediate. Does it bother anyone that this song was totally lifted from Escape Club's "Wild Wild West"? I mean it's identical. Like I wouldn't be surprised if they raised a copyright infringement claim. I want someone to explain to me how this song is innovative and creative? There's no melody. There's no substantive lyrics. There's no guitar solo. The chorus "get on your boots yeah" in Edge's high pitched voice sounds terrible. The whole song has an annoying repetitive vibe to it. Reminds me of video game music.

I liked it better than Vertigo.

I will give it 8 out of 10. Guiter sound of Edge, bassline of Adam, drums of Larry are very very good. I think " you are beautiful" line delivery is the only problematic part for me.

Bono's voice is good not great in this song{IMO}.

THE SONG SUCKS! I have been a huge U2 fan since the Boy album and liked everything up until Atomic Bomb. This single is the worst ever! I mean they out did themselves. I thought Atomic bomb was bland boring and crap but this single is even
worse than anything on Atomic Bomb. I can't theU2 sheep are giving this good reviews. If this was from any other band the song would not even get air play and you would say that band sucks. Well, U2 now officially sucks! A lot of people hated the last album adn that is obvious from the sales and the reviews on amazon. Well this album looks to be the final nail in the coffin for U2. What a piece of garbage this song is. hell, even Coldplay are making better U2 songs than u2, and I hate Coldplay.
I am so sad to see a once great band become a joke. They will win grammies and get good reviews but true U2 fans know they are now a joke compared to what they once were. can you believe Atomic Bomb one grammys and War, Boy, Unforgettable Fire.. didn't? They only one grammy because they are famous not because they are good.

Bono and guys why don't you just retire because now you are an embarassment to yourselves

Apart from that, you quite like it.....

LOL what is the point of coming on here and just completely criticising them. If you don't like U2 anymore, then don't come on this site just to slag them off and say they are past it etc.

I thought the last two albums were bland and apart from a few songs, was quite disappointed. I wanted them to rediscover some energy and excitement again, a bit more creativity and depth in their songs, with some new ideas/sounds. I think the single is a start and a pretty good song.

It seems to me that people are divided into two camps. those who liked the last few albums and most of the 80s stuff i.e. traditional sounding rock or who like their 90s more experimental work, so I wouldn't be surprised that people wouldn't like the new single.

I wonder how many people, not necessarily U2 fans, who liked the last few albums also like Coldplay, Keane, Snow Patrol etc, as I have come across quite a few. If it means those people dislike it and it sounds nothing like those bands, then thank g-d for that, as I am sick and tired of bland, boring drivel!!!!!!!!!

It's loosely the same beat as Wild Wild West, but there's a lot more stuff going on there in Boots and if you want to take it in order of who potentially ripped off who, Escape Club ripped off Elvis Costello's "Pump It Up", but they're all different in their structures.

"it shouldn't boggle your mind, because some people in the world like emo music, some like all kinds of things.

Respect that other like it, and we'll repect that you don't. (face waving good bye)"

Very adult-like, someone doesn't agree with you, so imply to them to leave the forum? Also, I'm allowed to give my opinion that your opinion is shite. I'm allowed to question why your ears listen to this mangled piece of junk it took four individuals four years to create, and ask why you like it.

It just amazes me the blind faith every one on here has, and if someone disagrees, the responses are immediate. Does it bother anyone that this song was totally lifted from Escape Club's "Wild Wild West"? I mean it's identical. Like I wouldn't be surprised if they raised a copyright infringement claim. I want someone to explain to me how this song is innovative and creative? There's no melody. There's no substantive lyrics. There's no guitar solo. The chorus "get on your boots yeah" in Edge's high pitched voice sounds terrible. The whole song has an annoying repetitive vibe to it. Reminds me of video game music.

Its your attitude not your opinion. Of course you can say its a load of crap if you think it really is, but don't say it in such a way that you imply poeple who like it are also a load of crap. Rhetorical questions and whats bordering on personal attacks are a sure way to get immediate back lash.

Opinions are the bread and butter of this forum, so its important that they don't turn into flame wars ... which they're sometimes prone to do. Just maybe watch your tone and your wording so it doesn't sound trollish and inflamatory.

Well you always have the choice to go listen to Nickleback or Papa Roach :)

Ironically Yahweh, as I had this annoying fucking song punishing my head today at work, I realized this song sounds a lot like NICKLEBACK'S ANIMALS. That's the funny thing, I bet you think Nickleback does not produce quality music, but U2 does. However, this new piece of garbage sounds just like something Nickleback would throw out.

Find it on youtube.

Listen to the rapid fire lyrics, just like our boy Bono unfortunately.

I'd say it's quite a stretch to think that Nickelback must have originated the trend of rapid-fire lyrics and therefore Bono is stealing from Nickelback.

I always ask friends who are not into music what they think of new U2 songs. I heard the word "cool" to describe it 3 times today.

I'd say it's quite a stretch to think that Nickelback must have originated the trend of rapid-fire lyrics and therefore Bono is stealing from Nickelback.

The point is, he suggested that since, how dare I not like everything U2 throws out, I go listen to lower-quality music like Nickleback. As if I'm too incompetent to fully comprehend the intellectual nuances of GOYB. Meanwhile, Bono's singing is exactly like Kroeger's. Listen to Animals and tell me it doesn't have the same repetitive pattern.

I always ask friends who are not into music what they think of new U2 songs. I heard the word "cool" to describe it 3 times today.

I just sent it to about 5 of my 'casual/non U2' fans. Waiting to see what they say.

Very adult-like, someone doesn't agree with you, so imply to them to leave the forum?

Ok, you have taken me 100% out of context. My comment that maybe you should leave the forum was a response to your pissing and moaning about the way in which the forum is run. It is run by people who give up a serious portion of their lives to keep this place organised, and to squash bitch-fests like this one I am, once again against my better judgement, engaging in.

Again, in the second paragraph you ASSUME that everyone is acting on blind faith. You call me a hypocrite for question someone not liking the song (which i NEVER did), yet apparently, anyone who does like the song is acting in blind faith. Give me a break here.

I will explain and adress each of your points from a musical discussion perspective:

Comment 1: There's no melody.

This is an asonine statement. Even numb has a melody. The melody of this song, especially the chorus is very different to anything we have heard from the band, at least in a long time. People wanted Achtung Baby back, well the chorus shows hallmarks of the darkness in that album.

Comment 2: There's no substantive lyrics.

Substantive is derivative of the meaning you draw from them. There have been 100's of posts about the meanings of these lyrics. Themes include the middle-east conflict, treatment of women in middle-eastern cultures, consumerism, innocence.

Comment 3: There's no guitar solo.

I could probably name 100 U2 songs where there is no guitar solo. Edge doesn't like soloing. he was quoted as saying this recently. But, although not technically 'solo' he does play some nice licks and fills over the breakdown and final section. This is coming from a guitarist, who has followed Edge's guitar work closely for many years.

Comment 4: The chorus "get on your boots yeah" in Edge's high pitched voice sounds terrible.

Your opinion, entitled to it, I respectfully disagree. I feel the vocal harmony is very eclectic, and offers a dark-edge (pardon the pun) to the whole song.

Comment 5: The whole song has an annoying repetitive vibe to it.

While I see your point, is this not inherent in all songs, given that they generally follow a structure, complete with verses and choruses? (Probably comes from the MELODY too???). The structure is actually very original.

Comment 6: Reminds me of video game music.

Fair enough

The only thing I don't care for about the song are the verses. Where's the melody? Plus, I'm not a fan of the speak-sing style.

:lol: No wonder Michael Stipe has been ON NOTICE for you lately. He always talks and shouts his way through recent performances.

Again, I'd say it's quite a stretch to say that Bono's singing in this song is exactly like Kroeger's.

But whatever. You don't like the song, I know.

I'd like to add "Satan knows a bomb scare, but he won't scare you" is one of my favorite lyrics from Bono in awhile. Also, "All the children are screaming, but the ghosts aren't real."

I feel like this is a very strong song, and it bodes well for the album, very very positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom