You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be honest: its one thing to say you hate the song today on the interweb, but once the opening riff starts in concert all the haters will be screaming like Nelly Furtado and sweat will be pouring through your back hair as your moobs jiggle with the beat.

FACT.

Let's be honest: its one thing to say you hate the song today on the interweb, but once the opening riff starts in concert all the haters will be screaming like Nelly Furtado and sweat will be pouring through your back hair as your moobs jiggle with the beat.

FACT.

:lol:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I got 2 essays to write but U2 have got me hooked

its contaigous

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the 'other' greatest band in the world are back on FIRE

FACT.

:lmao:

FACT.

:lol::up:

funny thing is, it's true. i "HOOHOO'd" durning Elevation at every show. :wink:

The comparison to Vertigo is just laziness, the only reason people are making the comparison is that they are both riff driven songs, but this is not a power chord song!

This song is much more comparable to the U2 riff driven songs like Fly and Big Girls...

This song is riff driven but has layers, Vertigo didn't...

People, stop being lazy!!!
I think for the first time ever - I agree with BVS!

There is a song 'underneath' the song. In that sense, it reminds me of "Beautiful Day." I certainly agree with other posts that it has more in common with songs like "Discoteque" and "Fly" than Vertigo.

It's got a retro-sound to it...very catchy...similar to Vertigo in that it comes at you in a fast, frenetic pace. Will get some air time in the U.S., but probably won't have much legs. Overall, I liked it.

And for all you haters, you know you'll be scouring eBay for tickets for the upcoming tour.

This somes it up

OK OK after 35 listens i give it

8/10 or maybe 9/10

simple Rock n roll

great bass

great riff

great vocal

dodgy lyrics

perfect

don't worry. there are people that will hate anything U2 puts out just to increase their indie cred.

Dead right you are, people just hate U2 for the sake of hating them. It's unfortunate that so many people, mostly young people (I can say this with some authority as nearly all my friends hate U2), ignore them purely for how big they are. If people aren't going to listen to music with their ears, and just judge it on what it represents, then f**k 'em.

First impression after listening to a YouTube cutting:

"Hmm... nice drums. The first few verses are a little... hollow, maybe? Chorus lacks spike... but catchy. Love the ending"

After hearing it in the car this morning, with the stereo at 10:

"Damn. The drums kick ass. The riff's better than I thought! It just isn't meant to be played solo, without drums. The whole song needs to be knitted together to make sense. The chorus is more clever than I thought; it's textured and melodic. This song is meant to be played Loud! LET ME IN THE SOUND, SOUND! I'm going to head-bang to this at some point. I want to hear it again."

As usual, I never 'get' a new U2 song at first listen. Then one part hooks into my brain, drags the rest of the song into it, and then I'm addicted. For a while anyhow. This might still be pure sugar - a quick hit, wearing off quickly - or it may be Turkish Delight, Lokum, flavored with rosewater, and insatiably addictive.

Some joker's going to say U2's lost it's 'deep' lyrics, and compare this song's finale to Vertigo's "yeah yeah yeah yeah.." ending, but they'd miss the point. 'Let me in the sound" might be the perfect manifesto for this album, one which Bono claimed was an opportunity to 'lose himself in the music' again.

If that means leading off with a rocker (like Vertigo was a rocker, the only similarity), and then using these few minutes as a hammer to break down the Bomb and open up a new vista for the band...

Well, it's done that. Those drums at the end, relentless kicking ass, kicking down doors, put force behind Bono's proclamation, and signal that the rest of the album will not be going easy on the listeners.

If ATYCLB was the band playing, "Listen to us again.." music, and BOMB was ".. and now sing along..", BOOTS signals a forceful "NOW hear this!" I haven't really heard since War. That's what the prominent drumming reminds me of, more than AB, or any of the other comparisons going around.

Yup, there's a hint of the Wild West in there, and Elvis (Costello this time). But like another review said, it's evocative and not a rip.

And sure, when Edge's guitar turns from and out-front riff to a buzzing background circular saw of a sound, I did think of The Muse for a second.

But here's the thing.. U2 sits at the center of a sonic (mine)field that has their influences on one side, and bands they've influenced themselves on the other. GOYB touches left, touches right, but never for more then a second before swelling up and under, engulfing everything with this new sound they've brought to the table.

This wasn't what I expected, and this wasn't what anyone else did either. That's a good thing, and shows that once again U2 aren't content to follow, or dive into the current musical stream.

They're diverting rivers, here. With the Edge's saw and Larry's hammer, they've just chiseled out a path to move music away from the U2 tributes that Coldplay and the Killers are producing, leaving those directions as mere tributaries.

A lot to extract from two listens to one song? Maybe, but I've seen U2 play this sort of gambit before, and I'm betting it pays off again.

It's just a matter of how well the public receives this offering.

One of the best posts I've read on here. Agree 100%. :up::up::up:

OK, so now disagreeing with you means that someone doesn't know what they are talking about? That's even richer.

You aren't listening... but this doesn't suprise me.

It has nothing to do with agreeing with me. I'm just pointing out the objectable aspects. Riff wise and structure wise this song is closer related to those songs than it is Vertigo...

FACT.

:lol: :bow:

:lol::up:

funny thing is, it's true. i "HOOHOO'd" durning Elevation at every show. :wink:

I love Elevation . . .hubby hates it but every time we watch any of the live concert dvds he's tapping away and grooving around like a demon - LOVE it :D

You aren't listening... but this doesn't suprise me.

It has nothing to do with agreeing with me. I'm just pointing out the objectable aspects. Riff wise and structure wise this song is closer related to those songs than it is Vertigo...

And Bono's scat singing?

OK, so now disagreeing with you means that someone doesn't know what they are talking about? That's even richer.

dont waste your time... you havn't got anywhere near enough posts to be worthy to take on bonovoxsupastar... it would seem his job on this forum is to put right anyone who doesnt fall in line with his opinions....

(i'm in trouble now...)

Well, edge102.1 here in Toronto likes it. To quote, the DJ's were expecting a U2 by numbers song but were very pleasently surprised and see the song as rather uplifting in these dark times.

exactly

u2 are one of 2 band who make uplifting legendary rock n roll

we all know who the others are as they are the kings of it

i HAVE to get u2 tickets now!

Why do people who hate the song have to be so rude and attention wh*rey about it?

Anyway, the song is really fun to listen to, and the ending is badass thanks to Larry :bow: Definitely gonna be great live. :rockon:

just my opinion, but if it wasn't u2, most people would soon forget this song, sincerly hope the rest of the album is much better, otherwise the wait will not have been worth it, very disappointed!

ATTENTION

Can someone tell me how to STOP listening to it?

Its becoming bit of a problem now

i need to eat in a bit and do some work

That's really the only comparable aspect. And if it didn't have the other parts, the "you don't know..." etc and the entire song was "scat" singing then it wouldn't be as lazy...

Well, in that case, seeing it as a mix between Vertigo, Fast Cars and slices of Discotheque, can't be that far off.

dont waste your time... you havn't got anywhere near enough posts to be worthy to take on bonovoxsupastar... it would seem his job on this forum is to put right anyone who doesnt fall in line with his opinions....

(i'm in trouble now...)

What?:huh:

You don't know me. And I've never taken post count to mean anything.

Why don't you try and discuss my post rather than your assumption of who I am? Novel idea, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom