You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
here's my take on "submarine/gasoline."

think of it as Israel/Palestine. a submarine is high tech, gasoline is comparatively low tech, a missile vs. a molotov cocktail. but a submarine doesn't run without gasoline, so let's put your gasoline in my submarine and then both go some where other than here.

I thought it was along the lines of wars for oil (e.g. Iraq) - US military might versus an oil nation.

Like I said.... it's incredibly amazing that is polarizing people.

how do you know that U2 was attempting to release another "Vertigo"? please explain.

Same song structure: riff-monotone singing-riff-monotone singing-chorus, etc
Same lenght: 3 minutes hit-and-miss radio friendly pap
Silly themes and lyrics: just nonsense words to fill 3 minutes of "music"

:down:

I like Mullen channeling John Bonham during the half-time breakdown in the middle of the song,

Rumor has it in music stores you can buy a steroid shot of John Bonham venom. It gets injected in your right butt cheek and then flows through your body. One shot is enough to play like Bonham for the rest of your life. It's a new product that Larry was a guinea pig for and said he'd try it out. Sure enough, with in minutes, people thought it was Bonham himself on the drums.

Problem is, it costs 1 million dollars per shot. And well, Larry could afford that no sweat.

Very catchy...fun, almost a surfer-rock tune. Eddie Cochrane meets Kashmir by Led Zeppelin. A buddy said it remined them of the Escape Club "Wild, Wild West." I can't dispute that. Someone asked me to compare it to another U2 song, the best I could come up with was "Hold me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" without all the fuzzy vocals.

I love it...it's fun and it's fresh. The first verse is very 2009..."the future needs a big kiss, winds blows with a twist, never seen a mood like this, can you see it too? " Bono sounds great and the drumming is FABULOUS! I like the riff.

All you haters who are "SOOOO DISAPPOINTED" just dust off your Joshua Tree albums and shut the f*** up. Open your minds and remove your expectations. This album will be epic. I love when they venture into freaky shit.

dude.

maybe read the lyrics first.

Very catchy...fun, almost a surfer-rock tune. Eddie Cochrane meets Kashmir by Led Zeppelin. A buddy said it remined them of the Escape Club "Wild, Wild West." I can't dispute that. Someone asked me to compare it to another U2 song, the best I could come up with was "Hold me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me" without all the fuzzy vocals.

I love it...it's fun and it's fresh. The first verse is very 2009..."the future needs a big kiss, winds blows with a twist, never seen a mood like this, can you see it too? " Bono sounds great and the drumming is FABULOUS! I like the riff.

All you haters who are "SOOOO DISAPPOINTED" just dust off your Joshua Tree albums and shut the f*** up. Open your minds and remove your expectations. This album will be epic. I love when they venture into freaky shit.

Agreed! :up: :drool:

Ponkine is back to his usual form trying to copy himself again

1. he is trying too hard to post negative comments always about the band he "supposably" likes
2. He uses the same tone as all his other comments!
3. He wasted three minutes of my life filling my head with negative comments!

Good to have you back!

what AussieU2fanman says is true...

I heard that and all i could imagine was the 4 of them looking at themselves like "how do we fill this part?"... and those chimes were the only thing Edge could imagine

what I like about the song are the "you don't know..." parts, and the lonely guitar after the breakdown and everything that comes afterwards...

but the verses for me suck big time... I can't relate to that

the infamous BREAKDOWN will be a smash live, but on the record, my girlfriend says it sounds like Bono trapped on a warehouse or factory, wanting to get out... and she doesn't says it on a polite way

Let's hope that live becomes a monster, because on record, Vertigo kick this song in the ass x 1000 times

subamarine + gasoline = laughs evertytime for me

Man, interference is bumming me alot... I'd hope that the fans would find it at least interesting. It's not gonna be a huge hit like Vertigo or BD but i thought that what people here wanted!

Seems some want something experimental that's also accessible...

There's always people around to piss on your cheerios around here. Too many people had super high expectations for the first single.

I had none and I love the song.

I kind of feel sorry for you because you can't feel what I feel.

Fuck...how many times can i say feel in one sentence?

After about 30 careful listens, i've decided this may be the heaviest rocker they've ever done. :rockon:

The first time it was just like "HOLY CRAP! THIS IS THE NEW U2 SINGLE!!!". I was afraid that I would stop liking the song after a few listens but I still enjoy it really much and now I can start dig into all the effects, lay-out and maybe even see what the lyrics are all about.

Those who say this is disappointing probably expected the wrong thing before hearing this. This is not supposed to be a JT-kinda album, this is something different and I didn't expect anything else. I'm happy about this.

I think the minimal guitar section at 1:20 is perfect and the sort of off-kilter approach I was hoping to hear on this album..

Can we open a separate thread for all the "fussy boots" please? And how a song can backfire when nobody had even heard it at 8am this morning is beyond me..

the multi layered genius of this song comprises three of four layers of horeshit piled neatly on top of one another :sexywink:

guitar 1: main riff
guitar 2: fill during verses
guitar 3: intro 3rd verse
guitar 4: acoustic chorus
guitar 5: overdriven chorus
guitar 6: outro

hardly "horeshit"... these parts are the only ones that i can make out with this crap mp3. i'll wait for the cd and vinyl. agreed that this is an amazing 21st century blend of zep and beatles.

:hmm: It makes me want to buy new boots... The ones I'm wearing are old, almost garbage...

Watch shoe stores report a huge increase in boots sales.

Side note - I finally reached my 1,000 post. Took me 8 years and 2 months. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom