You've heard GET ON YOUR BOOTS? - Post all thoughts, reviews, discussion HERE Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from my opinion of the song itself, does anyone else feel the word "beautiful" is being overused by the band this decade? Beautiful Day, COBL and now GOYB use it repeatedly as a core of the songs. We need some balance, I want more "ugly" and "disgusting", or maybe "grotesque"! Anyone else agree?

Overindulgence in beautiful can make one sick.

Maybe we'll see that in the "other half" of the album. :hmm:

Aside from my opinion of the song itself, does anyone else feel the word "beautiful" is being overused by the band this decade? Beautiful Day, COBL and now GOYB use it repeatedly as a core of the songs. We need some balance, I want more "ugly" and "disgusting", or maybe "grotesque"! Anyone else agree?

I think love has been used even more.

i think the song is sort of like OOTS, in meaning. except instead of talking to Edge's daughter, he's talking to a half billion or so Muslim women.

When I think about this while listening to the lyrics they get a little better, but not by much.

Does anyone know why there are two versions available on itunes? I bought the white one. Is the black one different other than the cover?

You don't know, you don't know how hideous you arrrrre...

:lol::lol::lol:

one point i just made in the last thread that was closed was that the beginning of this song has me very curious as to how "Crazy Tonight" will end, because GOYB almost seems to take off like there was some kind of build up on the previous track.

In all honesty, I don't think the United States is going to go nuts for this song. At least, it won't be anything bigger than Vertigo and certainly not Beautiful Day.

America is still Joshua Tree-d out. That's *their* U2. Being an American, this saddens me, because I'd think we'd be willing to explore new sonic territory, but we're not. I love this song, but I get a feeling this is going to be a bigger deal in Europe.

Am I wrong?

I totally agree with Superfly. It feels like a testosterone-injected "Salome," which was a fun song only 'cause it was a b-side. I like the harmonies on the "You don't know how..." part, and the unexpected turn in melody.

I think U2 deliberately tries to annoy its fans, man. Hearing the "sexy boots" line is akin to that damn "turn it up louder captain part" in Vertigo. But what do I know - they do sell a lot of records.

And the biggest haters in the business - Pitchforkmedia - gave a good review: "Get On Your Boots" [Stream] | Pitchfork

In all honesty, I don't think the United States is going to go nuts for this song. At least, it won't be anything bigger than Vertigo and certainly not Beautiful Day.

America is still Joshua Tree-d out. That's *their* U2. Being an American, this saddens me, because I'd think we'd be willing to explore new sonic territory, but we're not. I love this song, but I get a feeling this is going to be a bigger deal in Europe.

Am I wrong?
Yes, I think you are.

When I think about this while listening to the lyrics they get a little better, but not by much.

Does anyone know why there are two versions available on itunes? I bought the white one. Is the black one different other than the cover?

here's my take on "submarine/gasoline."

think of it as Israel/Palestine. a submarine is high tech, gasoline is comparatively low tech, a missile vs. a molotov cocktail. but a submarine doesn't run without gasoline, so let's put your gasoline in my submarine and then both go some where other than here.

i also think the "growing up" vs. "blowing up" gets at this as well.

John Tree: I'm a massive fan of the 90s records, and ignored JT for the better part of two decades. But that record sounds really fresh and really needed these days. U2 still are capable of these sublime moments in music, that very few others can pull off - let alone, on the radio. I felt like City of Blinding Lights had that in it. I'm sure the new record will have those moments too.

Funny you should say.......one of my friends is a casual fan......she heard it before me this morning and LOVED it straight away, I was amazed!! :D Bono has a new fan methinks.:D

just goes to show........:up:

I'm happy that I can be wrong :)

Personally, When I listened to the song for the first time my reaction was: WTF?! And then started laughing with joy :up::hyper: This songs has a lot, a lot of attitude. So fast paced, and that thing Edge does in the end... :drool:

I don't think the song is accessible enough for the mainstream crowd. It's more complex than Vertigo and Elevation and it's gonna make their heads explode if they think too hard about the song. Because lets face it, the radio crowd likes simple things that are accessible. With the exception of Joshua Tree and the last two albums, U2 isn't exactly an accessible band. But that's ok, I don't want radio listeners to get into this. If they can't understand the song, then they can continue listening to Britney, and Lifehouse and TaTu.

here's my take on "submarine/gasoline."

think of it as Israel/Palestine. a submarine is high tech, gasoline is comparatively low tech, a missile vs. a molotov cocktail. but a submarine doesn't run without gasoline, so let's put your gasoline in my submarine and then both go some where other than here.

i also think the "growing up" vs. "blowing up" gets at this as well.

Ooh, you're good, Irvine.

I'm a lyrics girl by nature.

Nice interpretation, I like it.

I can understand that people say they expect some groundbreaking, out of this world sounds or something like that.... but hey, we're are in 2009... since 1991, when The Fly REALLY broke boundaries....so much (good and bad) has been done in music that's really difficult to create a tottally new sound these days... I think to create something really new, only if a band bring some marcian singer from space to make a duet... hahahah

But i do like GOYB VERY MUCH, it's a great song (and I can see some minor flaws), only time will tell if it was the right choice for 1st single. But we have to give props for the band for releasing a song like that in their 33rd year as a band... that's really impressive, U2 really have that sentiment that needs to prove something to them and their fans...

God Bless U2 for create more confusion, in form of a great song... ahahhah

I'm happy that I can be wrong :)

Personally, When I listened to the song for the first time my reaction was: WTF?! And then started laughing with joy :up::hyper: This songs has a lot, a lot of attitude. So fast paced, and that thing Edge does in the end... :drool:

It was great to see such enthusiasm.:D I think the whole thing the edge does is what
did it............:drool:

I was a bit :hmm: :ohmy: at first.......then I was like yeah this is goooood. :rockon: :heart:

I've had this on repeat all morning so far. :drool: It keeps growing on me. I loved it from the first listen, but it just gets better and better.

I turned on a local radio station as I was getting ready this morning, and they played GOYB for the first time. It was interesting hearing people's reactions. It was pretty mixed overall, but one of the DJ's is a huge U2 fan, so she loved it right away.

I said this in the last thread, but I am SO excited to hear this live! :hyper: It's going to be incredible!

I hope I'm wrong. I love the song, I hope it's a big hit here.

Now let's turn to analyzing those lyrics! What's this one about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom