You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without a gimmick it's going to be a slow burner. A band like U2 doesn't have the pull and popularity anymore.

I prefer this way. I don't mind something original like the Vertigo / Apple commercial (and iPod with every song!!).

We all want to see u2 do well. Maybe restore some hope into the music world, especially radio. Times have changed and I just want u2 to be confident in what they put out.

I'm not sure they are with TBT with all the changes it's gone thru

Yep.

Plus it's just boring. I never need to hear about New York or California in song (or video) ever again. It's done.

:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Hey, oi, oi oiboy you do realise them's fighting' words, right!?

:wink:

(born & bred nyc'r)

I'm somewhere between really liking and loving this song.
As for the vid I love it! It's really fun, sweet , wistful w the Tribute in Lights in the back ground. And it had a serious undergone as been said.

Part reminds me of the ABOY (ad I tried to find the truck - didn't but got to the concert
t and they were given pizza in the ABOY vid

Last edited:
It's not a music video -- it's more of a behind the scenes video of a band walking around their US home -- it's uplifting...

I'm stunned always that the people that love America most tend to be people not from this country originally. They get what it means. America is an idea. And U2 celebrates it better than most of our leaders. The way most of our great grandfathers and grandmothers did when they came to this country. That's the best part about our country by the way...

So... When did this happen?

Attachments

• 3E48E6BA-0C2F-42A7-BB9F-BA6EDA1440EA.jpg
    3E48E6BA-0C2F-42A7-BB9F-BA6EDA1440EA.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 94
so this is neither here nor there, and it suffers from small sample size syndrome, but i'll share anyway.

my girlfriend is 25. she has music taste that is all over the map, graduated with a b.a. in musical studies, the whole nine yards. her favorites include justin bieber, hiatus kaiyote, stevie wonder, big sean, nas, miley cyrus, the beatles, classical music, coldplay, rihanna. you get the idea.

she really likes u2... on the right day. up until three years ago, she claimed she hated them (partially due to the iPhone fiasco). i asked why? she said they suck. so i asked her what songs she knows - couldn't name any. I took control of the juke box at the bar and played basically a combo of the best ofs, and she was singing the chorus to each song, knew each song and liked each song - but had no idea it was u2.

fast forward a few years. she's seen u2 three times with me now. twice on the ie tour (at the last msg show, she claimed she was "drunk on bono" and not to tell her friends that it was the best live show she'd seen) and again on joshua tree this year. she's loved each show and has come to love the joshua tree itself, but hates one tree hill.

all that serving as the backstory, she thinks the little things, the blackout and the best thing are three of the best songs u2 have ever done. it's a bit confusing for somebody who has been exposed to them for as much as she has, but she thinks the songs are awesome.

i don't know if that's the intended audience, but she and a few of her friends all really, genuinely love the best thing.

the song has grown on me a decent bit. i still love the chorus, especially the part "i'm the kind of trouble you enjoy" and the edge bridge, but... yeah. not u2's best song.

does this mean that they're going to win over the pop kids? no. but the pop kids do like it - unfortunately for u2, i don't think the pop kids are going to seek them out.

Oh, that was difficult to read that One Tree Hill was not well liked.

I like that they are rolling out multiple versions of the song and putting it on sort of a steady burn track. I've come to like it a good deal.

I'm stunned always that the people that love America most tend to be people not from this country originally. They get what it means. America is an idea. And U2 celebrates it better than most of our leaders. The way most of our great grandfathers and grandmothers did when they came to this country. That's the best part about our country by the way...

You're right about that. I was talking with a Korean artist at work the other day and she said that people from America don't appreciate it and don't know how good they have it. She was in Korea during the Korean War and is more patriotic than most other people I know. U2 seem to have a similar attitude and it makes me stop and think about the nation of spoiled brats we have become.

It's on Apple Music in USA now. I like it. It's well executed and has a good amount of energy.

Last edited:
At least someone thinks so.

This acoustic version is surprisingly very good indeed though.
I just cancelled my Apple Music because the Note 8 is awesome so hopefully Spotify picks it up soon. If not I'm sure there will be a download soon.

Yeah, ok. Let's be honest, you were going to hate the video no matter what. But sure, let's have you jump on the bandwagon of anti-American sentiment as your post-hoc justification.

Mate I haven't even watched the video. I've no idea when I last watched a music video in full by any artist. I was responding to how representations of the US are received abroad and pointing out how utterly cliche and overdone references to two specific locations are.

But hey get agitated all you like, you red blooded jingoist, you.

Very curious strategy U2 has going on.

9/8- Single version and Sci Fi version (don't think it's commercially available though)
9/15- Kygo Mix
9/28- Acoustic mix

We have 4 versions of the same song spread out over a 3 week period. Usually these would be b-side mixes to the single but they are all being released individually(save for Sci Fi).

At this point one has to wonder if we will get a 5th version sometime in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom