You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the band has been very up front about what this song is all about--joy, "pop," fun, love your wife (or your country, or ours) kind of stuff. For that, I think the video fits 100%. This doesn't have to be a "Please" video, and it wouldn't fit the song. I'm sure there will be other songs on the album that can have videos that will be all broody and deep and black and white like the typical U2 stuff.

If I think of the U2 videos I go back and watch, I'll usually pick ABOY on the flatbed in Manhattan or Streets on the roof in LA because they are fun to watch. Or, I'll pick dreamy eyed Bono in Horses or One, well, just because it's dreamy eyed Bono. I can see this one being one I go back and watch just because it's fun, its backdrops are cool, and they are smiling and having fun.

It's weird and kind of pathetic, with a dose of cynical pandering. If they want to celebrate a country there are many that deserve it over the US. In fact, I think that the US deserves more criticism than praise, and not just because of Trump. He's a symptom, not the disease.

Yep.

Plus it's just boring. I never need to hear about New York or California in song (or video) ever again. It's done.

I'd love a song about, I don't know, Galway or Trondheim or Invercargill, anywhere around the globe that hasn't already been the subject of a billion songs.

So has it been confirmed that the Sci Fi mix was indeed the version battling it out with the Lillywhite single version on the eve of release? I really like the Sci Fi mix - much better opening and it has that "why am I walking away" instead of that cut and paste sounding "the best thing" after the first chorus. I hope they decide to put the Sci Fi mix on the album.

But I enjoy the single version too. It's not a song that's going to become a classic, but it's good enough so that it doesn't damper my spirits about the album. Studio versions of Blackout and Little Things have great potential too.

Yep.

Plus it's just boring. I never need to hear about New York or California in song (or video) ever again. It's done.

I'd love a song about, I don't know, Galway or Trondheim or Invercargill, anywhere around the globe that hasn't already been the subject of a billion songs.

Yeah, ok. Let's be honest, you were going to hate the video no matter what. But sure, let's have you jump on the bandwagon of anti-American sentiment as your post-hoc justification.

Are the sci-fi mix and sci-fi soul mix two different versions?

Sorry for the late question, I haven't heard either. Just the release version and the Kygo remix.

Yeah, ok. Let's be honest, you were going to hate the video no matter what. But sure, let's have you jump on the bandwagon of anti-American sentiment as your post-hoc justification.

a bit sensitive, are we darling?

there was absolutely nothing wrong with what he said, and he certainly isn't the only one to feel that way.

Sci-Fi Soul Mix = Sci-Fi Mix, just shorter name

The mix the band were going to release as the single was the Sci-Fi Soul Mix. This was the so-called mellower but more elaborate version. However, at the last second they decided to change the arrangement. There were apparently competing mixes of this arrangement for the single on the night of the deadline, with Lillywhite's winning out.

the sci-fi mix is lovely - it's the one i find myself listening to the most

i like them both though, although the start of the other mix makes me jump every time haha

I like the verses in the regular mix. Love how the drums and bass feel live really like the 1st min..... But I like how the chorus explodes more on the sci fi and has a kinda grove and feels less compressed than the regular one. I like bits from each. The tune has grown on me quite a bit. Still think its a dud live but it is growing.

I like the verses in the regular mix. Love how the drums and bass feel live really like the 1st min..... But I like how the chorus explodes more on the sci fi and has a kinda grove and feels less compressed than the regular one. I like bits from each. The tune has grown on me quite a bit. Still think its a dud live but it is growing.

Think I definitely share the same views. The single mix 100% starts better a lot more up tempo ,the beginning of the sci fi mix is boring and just chugs alongs. But the chorus is better I agree.

Oh I am well aware others feel that way. They typically can never stop talking and whining about it.

definitely see where you're coming from, not sure why it took me so long in the first pace.

it sounds like you're going through a lot right now, so please let me apologise on behalf of axver for contributing to this troubling time.

sometimes it's easy for us to forget what it's like to walk in another person's shoes, and i think it's safe to say i'm guilty of that from time to time.

... i ... i'm so fucking sorry about all this, haywa.

A filming permit in New York City costs $300.

I hope they didn't blow their whole promotional budget filming the video. Not sure if they have that kinda cash just laying around

Yes, yes Headache. Because 300.00 is all the expense involved in filming in NYC.

There's a reason why most shows set there tape someplace else.

Well, that wasn't exactly the notion.

Nick was vaguely trying to hint that Iggy was right, it had to be a statement if they were willing to fork over the cash it costs to shoot in NY. Nick is clever in that he never actually backs up troll's ideas, but he often puts just enough out there to try and help them live on a little longer. Except lately he's getting his attempts squashed rather quickly.

My God you're an idiot.

The way I see it, they had two different song ideas in TBT. I think the verse deserved a better chorus, and the chorus as is should've been sold to Bruno Mars or Ed Sheeran or some other middling pop act. The middle 8 sounds like the usual mid-song "dramatic" moment. Yes, I like the "why am I walking away" but it follows a bland chorus. Bland plus interesting equals mostly bland.

This feels like a stand-alone single to me. In fact, I would maybe like the song more if I knew it weren't musically tied to the upcoming album. Then again, they use 90 producers for albums now and SOI is pretty much 2 or 3 eps joined together. So there you have it! Nothing matters.

Now who wants to talk about Zooropa?

This is what happens when we have a lull in any real news.

nah, i'm pretty sure this would happen anyway. this thread is loaded with A* assholes of the absolute highest order.

nevertheless, womanfish you are not one of them. i appreciate your enthusiasm for this band, as one of their longest-serving fans on this message board. i don't always (or even often!) share your optimism but i do think you've been a good voice around these parts for nearly 2 decades.

nah, i'm pretty sure this would happen anyway. this thread is loaded with A* assholes of the absolute highest order.

nevertheless, womanfish you are not one of them. i appreciate your enthusiasm for this band, as one of their longest-serving fans on this message board. i don't always (or even often!) share your optimism but i do think you've been a good voice around these parts for nearly 2 decades.

Thanks Man. I try to keep a level head on most of what gets thrown our way by this band. I was one of the loudest voices bashing Invisible when it came out. I was so underwhelmed.
It's grown on me a bit since. But I didn't make it 33 years listening to these guys to be thrown off by one middle of the road pop tune.
And yes, the assholes come and go, sometimes we all have our asshole moments. But i guess that is the dysfunctional Interference family. Would rather have people here throwing around ideas than having no interest at all.

so this is neither here nor there, and it suffers from small sample size syndrome, but i'll share anyway.

my girlfriend is 25. she has music taste that is all over the map, graduated with a b.a. in musical studies, the whole nine yards. her favorites include justin bieber, hiatus kaiyote, stevie wonder, big sean, nas, miley cyrus, the beatles, classical music, coldplay, rihanna. you get the idea.

she really likes u2... on the right day. up until three years ago, she claimed she hated them (partially due to the iPhone fiasco). i asked why? she said they suck. so i asked her what songs she knows - couldn't name any. I took control of the juke box at the bar and played basically a combo of the best ofs, and she was singing the chorus to each song, knew each song and liked each song - but had no idea it was u2.

fast forward a few years. she's seen u2 three times with me now. twice on the ie tour (at the last msg show, she claimed she was "drunk on bono" and not to tell her friends that it was the best live show she'd seen) and again on joshua tree this year. she's loved each show and has come to love the joshua tree itself, but hates one tree hill.

all that serving as the backstory, she thinks the little things, the blackout and the best thing are three of the best songs u2 have ever done. it's a bit confusing for somebody who has been exposed to them for as much as she has, but she thinks the songs are awesome.

i don't know if that's the intended audience, but she and a few of her friends all really, genuinely love the best thing.

the song has grown on me a decent bit. i still love the chorus, especially the part "i'm the kind of trouble you enjoy" and the edge bridge, but... yeah. not u2's best song.

does this mean that they're going to win over the pop kids? no. but the pop kids do like it - unfortunately for u2, i don't think the pop kids are going to seek them out.

so this is neither here nor there, and it suffers from small sample size syndrome, but i'll share anyway.

my girlfriend is 25. she has music taste that is all over the map, graduated with a b.a. in musical studies, the whole nine yards. her favorites include justin bieber, hiatus kaiyote, stevie wonder, big sean, nas, miley cyrus, the beatles, classical music, coldplay, rihanna. you get the idea.

she really likes u2... on the right day. up until three years ago, she claimed she hated them (partially due to the iPhone fiasco). i asked why? she said they suck. so i asked her what songs she knows - couldn't name any. I took control of the juke box at the bar and played basically a combo of the best ofs, and she was singing the chorus to each song, knew each song and liked each song - but had no idea it was u2.

fast forward a few years. she's seen u2 three times with me now. twice on the ie tour (at the last msg show, she claimed she was "drunk on bono" and not to tell her friends that it was the best live show she'd seen) and again on joshua tree this year. she's loved each show and has come to love the joshua tree itself, but hates one tree hill.

all that serving as the backstory, she thinks the little things, the blackout and the best thing are three of the best songs u2 have ever done. it's a bit confusing for somebody who has been exposed to them for as much as she has, but she thinks the songs are awesome.

i don't know if that's the intended audience, but she and a few of her friends all really, genuinely love the best thing.

the song has grown on me a decent bit. i still love the chorus, especially the part "i'm the kind of trouble you enjoy" and the edge bridge, but... yeah. not u2's best song.

does this mean that they're going to win over the pop kids? no. but the pop kids do like it - unfortunately for u2, i don't think the pop kids are going to seek them out.

Been seeing quite a few people talking about how friends that are sorta aware of U2 but not fans, have liked the song when they've heard it. Liked it a lot.
But you bring up the problem U2 faces. Will the regular music listener ever get to hear the song? Having such a huge gap in radio presence, has made radio wary of adding the song, along with them being an old band, so they just don't get the same benefit of the doubt that they used to.

I hope it gathers some steam on radio and makes its way to the public in a broader way. But that's a long shot.

definitely see where you're coming from, not sure why it took me so long in the first pace.

it sounds like you're going through a lot right now, so please let me apologise on behalf of axver for contributing to this troubling time.

sometimes it's easy for us to forget what it's like to walk in another person's shoes, and i think it's safe to say i'm guilty of that from time to time.

... i ... i'm so fucking sorry about all this, haywa.

Sarcastic apology decidedly NOT accepted.

Thanks for sharing. I've read about several of these stories around this place and it's interesting but it seems like TBT is connecting to non-U2 fans/die hardship more than any thing on NLOTH or SOI.

For what it's worth (and I know it's nothing) my 2 year old likes the song but he also likes the sound of the vacuum on the right Day :)

I hope it gathers some steam on radio and makes its way to the public in a broader way. But that's a long shot.

I don't think it's as long of a shot as you may think but at this moment it is a very slow burn up the radio format charts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom