You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it,much better then those horrendous videos they put out for miracle and boots

It's nice to see them not take themselves so seriously. I don't think I realized they are so dorky!

I like the video, a far cry from the po-faced reputation of the band in the 80s.

Is it just me, or does the audio in this video seem to emphasize the cut and paste production of the song?

I guess the Amsterdam footage is gonna sit on the shelf?

I like it,much better then those horrendous videos they put out for miracle and boots

Agreed. So I guess they are using the lyrics in the song as a metaphor in this video to take a swipe at Trump and rise of nationalism.
Liberty, freedom, openness, opportunity and justice being the best thing about America, and the current climate we find ourselves in, is the walking away part.

Interesting take. I like the video. Its fun and better than some others this past decade or so...

Agreed. So I guess they are using the lyrics in the song as a metaphor in this video to take a swipe at Trump and rise of nationalism.
Liberty, freedom, openness, opportunity and justice being the best thing about America, and the current climate we find ourselves in, is the walking away part.

Interesting take. I like the video. Its fun and better than some others this past decade or so...
Yea it's a subtle shot at our current immigration policy - one that will go unnoticed by most.

I dig it. Interesting to see a video showing this side of them instead of solely the live aspect or whole acting-a-storyline deal.

If you hate this video you hate America! Just kidding. Or am I.

Honestly it’s ok. The filming style, camera cuts, pacing, location make it feel like it could be an intro for early 2000s episodes of Saturday Night Live.

I am still not a huge fan of the song, although it has grown on me quite a bit from the initial listen, despite its obvious production issues.

The song is actually starting to gain some traction out there on multiple formats, if you actually look at the charts. Several people in my office have mentioned hearing it and liking it, and it's been a long time since that has happened. It's interesting reading posts from some severely negative people on this forum who seem to be rooting for the song to fail. The song is starting to catch on, and the video will only help.

I liked it. Much better than the last few videos

This video has the tone of Beautiful Day. Feels like the sequel

I like that the video shows them just normal and not so serious. They seem to be having fun.

I am still not a huge fan of the song, although it has grown on me quite a bit from the initial listen, despite its obvious production issues.

The song is actually starting to gain some traction out there on multiple formats, if you actually look at the charts. Several people in my office have mentioned hearing it and liking it, and it's been a long time since that has happened. It's interesting reading posts from some severely negative people on this forum who seem to be rooting for the song to fail. The song is starting to catch on, and the video will only help.

I'm rooting for the song to fail, because I don't want the band recording more tripe like it.

It’d be nice if we’d get some album art and full track listing news and some preorder stuff already. We are about two months away from the release already.

I guess I’m spoiled by other bands who have put album stuff up on streaming services months in advanced and have released songs each month up until release day.

the best part about music (and art in general) is that it can indeed have multiple meanings.

most of the best u2 songs can be interpreted correctly in a few different ways.

There is a word for what U2 have done with this song by changing is original meaning:

"Opportunistic"

.....And not in a flattering way.

Last edited:
There is a word for what U2 have done with this song by changing is original meanning:

"Opportunistic"

.....And not in a flattering way.

A friend of mine has a theory that U2 wait for disasters, world altering events and things of that nature to release their music around. It's hard to argue with him now after this video comes out amidst all of the national anthem controversy lol

I remember when baby Jessica fell down a well in October of 87 then a short while later U2 released In God’s Country in North America only a little while after.. Opportunists!

I'm rooting for the song to fail, because I don't want the band recording more tripe like it.

"Tripe"? Really? Not liking the song is one thing. Essentially calling it garbage is another. I am glad this sort of view is only shared by very few here. It's hard to believe that it even represents an honest, objective assessment of the song.

So the best thing about them is America, or their fans, or their American fans. Not 100% sure; thought it would be America because of all the landmark shots, but all the autographs makes me think it's their fans. TBH it's a little weird.

It's a well shot music video, but to get traction today music videos have to have some kind of ridiculous visual hook that can be giffed and makes them go viral. Don't see that here. It'll play well in Hardrocks though.

As an American I have to ask, what do people outside of the US think of these kinds of videos?

A friend of mine has a theory that U2 wait for disasters, world altering events and things of that nature to release their music around. It's hard to argue with him now after this video comes out amidst all of the national anthem controversy lol

i mean, it was filmed before the controversy and it's clear they had umbrellas with american flags when the video was filmed.

it just so happened that the anthem controversy occurred. shrug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom