You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what you mean about thinking my posts disappear. And for that matter, not sure who you mean by 'you all'.

are you feeling OK? having a meltdown, or is this just another normal day in BVS land?

Trolls. You all somehow believe that other posters can't just scroll back and see that your post was far from "just stating facts". You're like the kid that stares directly into your eyes and says 'I didn't take the candy' as chocolate is literally melting from his hands.

Actually, the suggestion that U2 would just randomly shoot a video in NYC is probably not accurate.

It's way too expensive, and too much of a hassle, to shoot in NYC if you're just looking for a random city background. They could do that anywhere.

I have no idea what they're doing, but if they're shooting a video there it's because they have a specific reason for wanting it to be set in NYC. Otherwise shooting there doesn't make much sense.

Last edited:
Actually, the suggestion that U2 would just randomly shoot a video in NYC is probably not accurate.

It's way too expensive, and too much of a hassle, to shoot in NYC if you're just looking for a random city background. They could do that anywhere.

I have no idea what they're doing, but if they're shooting a video there it's because they have a specific reason for wanting it to be set in NYC. Otherwise shooting there doesn't make much sense.

I suppose. But it's NY. I mean, it's an iconic skyline. Also talk of them being filmed in other areas of the city. It may have been that it fit into their timeline to shoot pieces of the vid in NY during the tour/being on Fallon, etc...

I suppose. But it's NY. I mean, it's an iconic skyline. Also talk of them being filmed in other areas of the city. It may have been that it fit into their timeline to shoot pieces of the vid in NY during the tour/being on Fallon, etc...

Well, yes. But the skyline and iconic landmarks are a specific reason to film in NYC. That's what I'm saying....you don't shoot in NYC unless there's a reason for NYC to be your background. It's not just a random shooting location.

Trolls. You all somehow believe that other posters can't just scroll back and see that your post was far from "just stating facts". You're like the kid that stares directly into your eyes and says 'I didn't take the candy' as chocolate is literally melting from his hands.

you should see someone about your condition.

A filming permit in New York City costs $300.

I hope they didn't blow their whole promotional budget filming the video. Not sure if they have that kinda cash just laying around

Last edited:
I would expect that the proper video will be released this week being it's been almost 3 weeks since the song came out.

Yeah, the notion that U2 wouldn't shoot anywhere they wanted because it was too expensive doesn't wash.

Unless we're talking about the moon.

Yeah, the notion that U2 wouldn't shoot anywhere they wanted because it was too expensive doesn't wash.

Unless we're talking about the moon.

Well, that wasn't exactly the notion.

Nick was vaguely trying to hint that Iggy was right, it had to be a statement if they were willing to fork over the cash it costs to shoot in NY. Nick is clever in that he never actually backs up troll's ideas, but he often puts just enough out there to try and help them live on a little longer. Except lately he's getting his attempts squashed rather quickly.

Nick was vaguely trying to hint that Iggy was right, it had to be a statement if they were willing to fork over the cash it costs to shoot in NY. Nick is clever in that he never actually backs up troll's ideas, but he often puts just enough out there to try and help them live on a little longer. Except lately he's getting his attempts squashed rather quickly.

:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

Discotheque didn't work at the time but it's one of the best singles ever!
I don't like HTDAAB that much but I truly love SOI. One of the best they've ever made - surely on the top half of their discography.

I agree. It's not AB and it's not JT. It's not even ATYCLB. But it's very, very good. SLABT and Troubles and Crystal Ballroom are all top notch. Any of those three songs could've easily been on AB.

Nick was vaguely trying to hint that Iggy was right, it had to be a statement if they were willing to fork over the cash it costs to shoot in NY. Nick is clever in that he never actually backs up troll's ideas, but he often puts just enough out there to tr5y and help them live on a little longer. Except lately he's getting his attempts squashed rather quickly.

I'm flattered that you cannot stop referring to and talking about me.

Kinda reminds me of all the losers at Fenway Park who chant 'Yankees suck', even when the Yankees are not in town.

Well done!

Is that clapping? Sorry, i dont understand. I am of Indian descent and simply too stupid to understand. Maybe you could express it in a sappy love song, preferably something poppy in EDM...? No complex lyrics please.

Maybe the women of Seattle can explain it to you?

Ehrmagerd wut waz de last video to be shot in New Yerk? All Because of You. ABOY!!!

IT'S A SIGN!!! THE LYRIX IN BEEST TING UR ABOOT ALL BRCUZ UF YOU!!!

Didn't Bono eat pizza in ABOY video ?? I bet he ate it for this video too.

I think we know the real reason they shot the video in NYC, it's an excuse to eat

In addition to its unmatched urban backdrops, a reason to shoot in NYC is that's where experienced crew lives. That's why LA and NYC are on TV all the time. The people who know how to do that sort of thing all live there.

Or maybe London.

Is that clapping? Sorry, i dont understand. I am of Indian descent and simply too stupid to understand. Maybe you could express it in a sappy love song, preferably something poppy in EDM...? No complex lyrics please.

I was clapping to BVS's boldness to correctly point out someone to be something. And.... before U2's Kygo collaboration, I have never heard any EDM shit. It's totally suited to rotten general music taste of India.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if the new video had (album version) at the end of the title with a new mix.

I was just thinking about this but it is very likely that there is an album mix. The single is only 3:45 long and was likely trimmed to make it ideal for radio.

I have only two "issues" with this song:

1- "a boy" lyric bit I can get past that as the song is not littered with poor lyrics that would compound that misstep(although I suppose it's not a bad lyric more so than a missing one...:)

2- after the the first chorus, Bono sings loudly "The Best Thing About Me" and it feels like it was a cut and paste job and wasn't recorded naturally. This I think might be due to the editing down to make a short "single" version. Perhaps the album version (assuming one exists) there will be a more natural flow.

I was listening to it yesterday and was thinking about what would be different on the album version.

I don't think a whole lot. (The a boy lyric doesn't bother me in the least)
But I don't feel like the beginning of the song would flow well on an album. The guitar strum straight into the verse is pretty abrupt. Fine for a single version, but wondering if they won't change that intro a bit on the album...

Also really looking forward to a proper version of The Blackout and Little Things. Especially Little Things, I think will be elevated to a higher level on the album.

Also really looking forward to a proper version of The Blackout and Little Things. Especially Little Things, I think will be elevated to a higher level on the album.

Same for me but more so for The Blackout. I really liked Blackout and think a good mix with some added layers of sound might make this a new classic for me(saw a tweet posted hear about someone working on the mix and adding strings to it....very excited)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom