You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SOI is no masterpiece but it is a solid album from any pop-rock standpoint with a few key standout tracks (SLABT would have fit well into any of the three 90s albums, if EBW were released by the band 20 years earlier it would have been a massive hit, etc...Miracle has a great groove). These are quality songs and better than a lot of what's out there in the genre today.

For a group in the twilight of their career it's a really surprisingly good work. In my 30 years as a U2 fan, I have heard the same complaints from other fans...nobody ever is happy with current U2, until 10 years later when they realize how good it was. I'd say, just enjoy it now...no band consistently matches their best work.

:up::up::up::up:

If you don't want to read people bashing U2 then travel back in time bto when they consistently made good music.

It makes sense that this thread is critical because The Best Thing in all its iterations is terrible for a variety of reasons, and the remix is embarrassing. This is easily U2's worst song. At least Crazy Tonight is smoothly arranged and SUC has some interesting moments.

I wouldn't say it's their worst song. Though I would say it's certainly their worst lead single. And none of the remixes really save it, and I don't think any mix of this song would make a damn bit of difference in terms of popularity. One of the funniest things you read here is stuff like "When they release the super intergalactic Komodo Dragon mix, the song will REALLY take off."

No one cares about the song; no one certainly cares about the remixes. The album will probably chart briefly then quickly drop. The tour will do great though.

Last edited:
TBT is not even close to their worst song. And I think most around here, and the general public would listen to it over The Miracle and Boots.
IMO its a solid song. Its a pop rock song. It's incredibly catchy and comparing to SOI, I'd rank it over SFS, and in the same range as California and Volcano, both of which i like quite a lot.

I think people are taking this song and projecting WAY too much of how they feel about it toward the upcoming album and throwing it in with other post 2000 material they didn't like.

Every album will have a few songs you're not going to love. Hell, ATYCLB, Bomb and NLOTH, have about 5 songs a piece I don't like. SOI is the only post 2000 album I only skip 1 or 2 songs on once in a while. We also know that the band seems to put forth some of the weakest material (for die hards) first.
If this is the poppiest tune on the album, and we have other good material like The Blackout and Little Things, along with other, even stronger tracks, SOE will be strong and as consistent.

I think SOI is a good album that didn't deserve the shitstorm that U2 created for it. I think NLOTH is a very "meh" album that deserves the "meh" reception it got:

I'm not a huge fan of HTDAAB anymore, but the general public view that album as U2's last good album before they started to suck. Vertigo was a huge hit, COBL and SYCMIOYO were minor hits that won Grammys. HTDAAB itself won album of the year. You people may think it sucks, but the general public disagrees.

Also, people can't truly believe this is literally their worst song. Really?? There are many candidates far worse than this. It's not my favorite but I'm waiting to hear it in the context of the album. I guess I find GOYB and Miracle to be gigantic turds, and TBT to be somewhere above that.

Why do people even think HTDAAB sucks? For me it is miles better than NLOTH and SOI. As a whole, Bomb is just more memorable for me, and has better melodies all around.

It's not as good as ATYCLB, but HTDAAB still has some great songs. OOTS is one of their best songs ever and the lyrics really speak to me. Miracle Drug is decent. I do like SYCMIOYO a lot, but I still think it's nothing compared to Kite.

As for U2's worst ever lead single, for me that's either Discotheque or The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone), followed by Boots. Really don't understand why YTBTAM is being referred to as so terrible. Honestly don't get it. To me it just comes across as people hating on the newest stuff for the sake of hating on the newest stuff.

Each to their own, but what I really don't like is the rudeness and arrogance of some posts on this site. Earlier someone told me they couldn't take my post seriously because I said that I loved AB and ATYCLB while not rating NLOTH. It's my opinion!

Last edited:
I think people are taking this song and projecting WAY too much of how they feel about it toward the upcoming album and throwing it in with other post 2000 material they didn't like.

This happens every time someone doesn't like a new song or record on here...the psychoanalysis of why they don't like it, or they hate everything U2 does, or they just want U2 to make a song for them. Sometimes you just don't like a song.

I like plenty of post-2000 stuff, but I think this song sucks.

Last edited:
Why do people even think HTDAAB sucks? For me it is miles better than NLOTH and SOI. As a whole, Bomb is just more memorable for me, and has better melodies all around.

It's not as good as ATYCLB, but HTDAAB still has some great songs. OOTS is one of their best songs ever and the lyrics really speak to me. Miracle Drug is decent. I do like SYCMIOYO a lot, but I still think it's nothing compared to Kite.

As for U2's worst ever lead single, for me that's either Discotheque or The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone), followed by Boots. Really don't understand why YTBTAM is being referred to as so terrible. Honestly don't get it. To me it just comes across as people hating on the newest stuff for the sake of hating on the newest stuff.

Each to their own, but what I really don't like is the rudeness and arrogance of some posts on this site. Earlier someone told me they couldn't take my post seriously because I said that I loved AB and ATYCLB while not rating NLOTH. It's my opinion!

I agree, I'd put AB and ATYCLB on nearly equal ground, with AB having a slight advantage. Your opinion is VALID TO ME!!!!

I post on a few message boards for a few different bands, and the overlying theme is HATE THE NEW STUFF. If you like the new stuff, you "clearly" have poor tastes and are a sheep. This forum is actually one of the more accepting ones:

Discotheque didn't work at the time but it's one of the best singles ever!
I don't like HTDAAB that much but I truly love SOI. One of the best they've ever made - surely on the top half of their discography.

The guy who mixed sci-fi, Kygo, and the single version into his own version on youtube called the "change of heart mix" made the the best version of the song and it doesn't sound forced.

With that said, Boots came after Vertigo and IMO it felt like they were going for Vertigo part deux. It hurt my acceptance of the song but I don't hate the Miracle or Boots these days. They are solid songs. Best Thing is a lot better than both

I post on a few message boards for a few different bands, and the overlying theme is HATE THE NEW STUFF. If you like the new stuff, you "clearly" have poor tastes and are a sheep. This forum is actually one of the more accepting ones:

That's basically any band site. Even areas like movies or TV shows have similar themes as to what's discussed or how they're criticized one way or another.

Oddly enough, I sometimes thought that some of the other bands' sites came across as a bit tamer than this one at times. :lol:

I like Bomb quite a bit - I actually think it's a better album then ATYCLB, which is probably my least favorite U2 album. HTDAAB does have a lot of great tunes.

That's basically any band site. Even areas like movies or TV shows have similar themes as to what's discussed or how they're criticized one way or another.

Oddly enough, I sometimes thought that some of the other bands' sites came across as a bit tamer than this one at times. :lol:

This is the only band site I post on, so I can't comment on others. I am on other forums for non-band stuff, and to me this one is definitely the least tame lol. But, it could be a band site thing, I can't comment on that, as this is the only one I post on.

Some opinions confuse me. But as long as people are respectful, it's all cool. There are certainly some decent members here. But there's a lot of venom too. Tbh though, facebook isn't exactly a walk in the park these days either.

I must be in the minority of thinking that the Change of Heart Mix sounds atrocious. People are complaining that the single mix has no aim, but the Change of Heart Mix doubles down and just combines everything.

I think that the band need to get themselves OUT of their videos. They could use the budget on making some really cool, imaginative videos that could draw some attention. But they use it on boat rental instead, :huh: showcasing Bono's granny glasses.

Hey everyone - remember how old we are?? No? Oh, here come take a look at our new video.

When's the video out ? The songs died of death and nobody is gonna give a damn about the video anymore

When's the video out ? The songs died of death and nobody is gonna give a damn about the video anymore

I dont think the band really give a damn about videos themselves.. let the lyric video do the work for them.. a stream on youtube is the same either way.

lol, why is it you all believe that your posts just magically disappear? We can still read your post. No one in their right mind reads that and thinks, oh he's just stating the facts.

Not sure what you mean about thinking my posts disappear. And for that matter, not sure who you mean by 'you all'.

are you feeling OK? having a meltdown, or is this just another normal day in BVS land?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom