You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but it wasn't without its bitching and moaning, which was the other side of your argument. There's never been this unanimous utopia, even within U2 fans. If the Internet were around then, it wouldn't be much different from now.

No, I never said there was a unanimous utopia. I simply said that if some guy doesn't want to see a shit tonnes of complaining about their music he should go back to when they consistently made good music that most fans liked. Given the critical consensus and the opinion of the general public, as well as my own awareness of the band in the 90s there wasn't this much negativity towards the band then (or in the early 00s). For good reason.

No, I never said there was a unanimous utopia. I simply said that if some guy doesn't want to see a shit tonnes of complaining about their music he should go back to when they consistently made good music that most fans liked. Given the critical consensus and the opinion of the general public, as well as my own awareness of the band in the 90s there wasn't this much negativity towards the band then (or in the early 00s). For good reason.

And I'm saying you're wrong. There was infighting amongst U2 fans when AB came out; why are they doing "dance electronic" music, they're abandoning their Christian values, etc. When Zooropa came out, it was why is Bono constantly talking about hip hop(it was like his use of punk today), and Numb isn't even a song it's Edge trying to rap. And then we all know about Pop. So to believe this place wouldn't be the same back then is revisionist.

they are in the middle of NY Harbor, right in front of the WTC site. With the Tribute in Light directly behind them.
They are south of the Battery and the Tribute of Light isn't at ground zero. It's not as if Bono is dancing on the memorial.

If you're going to play phony outrage guy at least be geographically accurate about the place where my friend died.

since you seem to be a depressed malcontent who needs to supply a daily dose of snark commentary to function properly, I'll overlook the vapidness of your comment and simply ask: why is it a stretch?

There's no grandiose statement. You're purposely looking for something to bitch about if you can find that in the few images we have.

It's NY, that's the skyline, the video seems to be them hanging out in NY. From what we've seen so far, it's an innocuous travel through NY, much like ISHFWILF was to Vegas. I'm sorry, did you find some grandiose statement in that one? Maybe something about the trappings of Capitalism and open container laws?

Maybe BD is a statement on airport security lines?

But what was the grandiose statement in Numb? Was Edge secretly trying to push foot fetishism through subliminal messaging? These evil grandiose bastards.

Last edited:
I've really come around on this song. I mean, it's not ground breaking U2 or even their best attempt at pop music, but it's just a solid fun tune. It won't be a huge hit, it won't light up the charts, but I still enjoy it for what it is.

Also just listened to the Soul Sci-Fi Fi mix again and actually really like it. Way more dynamic than the album version, which is my biggest complaint there. The single mix is just too empty. I think if they added the warm synths from the soul/kygo mix in the chorus it would help make it feel much more "full".

U2 should just go all in and release a song named Grandiose Statement

I completely understand all the moaning and groaning here about a band still trying to score a "chart topper" (as if that means anything anymore) and not "giving themselves over to experimentation like they used to."

BUT

On each listen of TBT, I keep finding that the "why am I walking away?" lines are both the most melodic and attention-grabbing. I haven't encountered brief moments of U2 music since Pop and Zooropa that I wished could drag on longer than those two short couplets. But they are intentionally fleeting. No less, they END the song and echo throughout the room once the music stops.

It's as if these veteran musicians know what they're doing, and how to leave an impression.

Sure, you can put a bunch of nice colors on the screen behind the band when they play TBT live, but it doesn't deserve the same backdrop as Beautiful Day.

TBT is not a song that's meant to feel sexy. It's gut-wrenching to talk about self-sabotage (even if it's a nightmare), and even if most young people these days can relate to that sentiment, most of today's "pop" music doesn't address that.

I've played TBT to a number of late 20-somethings in NYC over the past weeks –many of whom would never gravitate toward a U2 record on their own –and almost everyone was grabbed by those closing lyrics. TBT isn't Boots or Miracle. The lyrics make sense. Not only are haughty parentheses not needed, the rapid toggling between sincere emotions and statements is what gives the lyrics strength.

Young men and women who hear "you're the best thing about me" and "[so] why am I walking away?" relate to the contradiction between the lines, and it it startles and saddens.

I think it's well within our rights as fans to be concerned that this band continues to "sell out" –or at the very least should realize that they have enough fans to propel them through whatever experimental phase they might feel inclined to explore, and should take some bigger risks –but these musicians aren't dopes, and for all of Bono's sometimes goofy pontificating, I think he and the band still now how to throw a curveball.

Regarding production: I do think there's something to the point that the band should ditch the x4 producer model and just settle on someone to mix each track and leave it there. BUT, if person A connects with the Kygo mix, and person B connects with the single mix and person C loves the Sci-Fi mix, so be it. U2 will never catch Taylor Swift in terms of YouTube views, so better to give everyone what they want.

:reject:

I was at the show in San Diego, and while I usually like them trying different arrangements for songs, this one did NOT work. It fell flat on its ass as soon as Bono started singing it, the whole stadium went quiet and people started leaving. Sorry, but this song was the one big dud in what was otherwise one of the best U2 shows I've seen. Keep the song I say but play it full band electric or not at all.

They are south of the Battery and the Tribute of Light isn't at ground zero. It's not as if Bono is dancing on the memorial.

If you're going to play phony outrage guy at least be geographically accurate about the place where my friend died.

I know exactly where they are. I've spent more time there than you will ever imagine.

No outrage. Just facts.

We get it...you don't thing TBT is a good song. Reasonable people can disagree. But that's one song off an album we haven't heard yet...and considering their last album was well received by U2 fans it's hard to say they are not consistently releasing good music.

:up::up::up::up:

SOI is definitely one of the best rock album of last 5 years. To say that U2 doesn't consistently release good music is like saying James Cameron doesn't consistently deliver mind-blowing VFX in his movies.

Last edited:
And I'm saying you're wrong. There was infighting amongst U2 fans when AB came out; why are they doing "dance electronic" music, they're abandoning their Christian values, etc. When Zooropa came out, it was why is Bono constantly talking about hip hop(it was like his use of punk today), and Numb isn't even a song it's Edge trying to rap. And then we all know about Pop. So to believe this place wouldn't be the same back then is revisionist.
Yeah. This is all very true unfortunately. In fact many U2 fans (me included) hated what U2 were doing in the 90s, and pleaded for a return to the 80s jangle. Hence Beautiful Day's chiming guitar riff being so well recieved.

DKg7JXgWAAAhB7E

DKg7It8WAAAO5Qn
A U2 video/performance on the rooftop of a building? Fuck yea originality!!$$%%!! :hyper:

I know exactly where they are. I've spent more time there than you will ever imagine.

No outrage. Just facts.

lol, why is it you all believe that your posts just magically disappear? We can still read your post. No one in their right mind reads that and thinks, oh he's just stating the facts.

:up::up::up::up:

SOI is definitely one of the best rock album of last 5 years. To say that U2 doesn't consistently release good music is like saying James Cameron doesn't consistently deliver mind-blowing VFX in his movies.

I think most agree that SOI isn't one of the best of anything, from any period of time.

There's a reason a lot of U2 fans are dreading this album, and most of it is a result of their recent output being dreadful by U2 standards.

None of us became fans of this band to the extent that we decided to seek out an online community to discuss their songs like Volcano, Stand Up Comedy or the vast majority of their output since 2000. The band we see today are followers, playing it safe in order to have as broad of an appeal as possible. Unfortunately that's the exact opposite attitude U2 had prior to ATYCLB.

On a much more positive note, U2 are fortunate as are we, that they still have two decades of absolutely brilliant music to be proud of. How many other bands can say that?

Some of us hold on to hope that they'll snap out if this funk, but I think most who share my opinion aren't too hopeful

Last edited:
I think most agree that SOI isn't one of the best of anything, from any period of time.

There's a reason a lot of U2 fans are dreading this album, and most of it is a result of their recent output being dreadful by U2 standards.

None of us became fans of this band to the extent that we decided to seek out an online community to discuss their songs like Volcano, Stand Up Comedy or the vast majority of their output since 2000. The band we see today are followers, playing it safe in order to have as broad of an appeal as possible. Unfortunately that's the exact opposite attitude U2 had prior to ATYCLB.

On a much more positive note, U2 are fortunate as are we, that they still have two decades of absolutely brilliant music to be proud of. How many other bands can say that?

Some of us hold on to hope that they'll snap out if this funk, but I think most who share my opinion aren't too hopeful

In my case in fact I'm anxious for SOE because I thought (and still think) the 2nd half of SOI is one of their best work so far. If they are still good enough to produce that kind of songs, I can expect a very good new album.

In my case in fact I'm anxious for SOE because I thought (and still think) the 2nd half of SOI is one of their best work so far. If they are still good enough to produce that kind of songs, I can expect a very good new album.

Fair enough.

SOI is no masterpiece but it is a solid album from any pop-rock standpoint with a few key standout tracks (SLABT would have fit well into any of the three 90s albums, if EBW were released by the band 20 years earlier it would have been a massive hit, etc...Miracle has a great groove). These are quality songs and better than a lot of what's out there in the genre today.

For a group in the twilight of their career it's a really surprisingly good work. In my 30 years as a U2 fan, I have heard the same complaints from other fans...nobody ever is happy with current U2, until 10 years later when they realize how good it was. I'd say, just enjoy it now...no band consistently matches their best work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom