You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems there are many non-U2 fans or U2 haters are here posing as U2 fans. I hate this kind of activity very much. Why come in a band forum you do not like !!! I hate Bon Jovi, Coldplay etc and I never go to their fan site to express my disdain for them.

Amen.

I for one hope we’re still talking about the acoustic version a couple weeks from now

I for one hope we’re still talking about the acoustic version a couple weeks from now

I really like the single version (didn't on my first listen)

I don't mind the Kygo version but it's not even close to as catchy/fun as the single (I know you love it ;) )
I'm not big on the Scify version as it too is missing a lot of the cool things I hear in the single

The live version on Fallon was bad. Sounded off key in parts and had no excitement

The live versions at their shows they have played (save for the first one) have been better but I feel are still missing something. Although the crowds are more into it then say Little Things.

The acoustic version sounded horrible(to my ears). That's not to say they couldn't do an acoustic version but what they did in SD was horrid and it felt awkward.

I don't mind acoustic U2 when they do it right (Stay, Stuck) but when they do it and it sucks the life out of the song, it kills me.

I love the song. I didn't at first because of the transitions between the verses and chorus.

I'm starting to really enjoy the Kygo version, specifically the chorus as the layers of Edge backing vocals are gorgeous. I know in one of the live versions of the song, Edge would only sing YOU'RE....and on the Kygo version it's prominent there.....and it just works.

I think the middle section guitar (or guitar solo) of the single version would work better in the chorus of the song. The Kygo mix has that bouncy rhythm guitar throughout the song and it flows better, despite it being a little low in the mix (which is a problem with 2000 U2, Edge is missing)

I hope they don't continue with the acoustic version, but I don't mind them fooling around with different mixes for the live shows. Guess it's a good example of why U2 albums take forever....they can't figure out their own songs

This is further proof that this song is just not working. Time to move on! We've heard this song for over a year. I need some album cuts already!!

If you don't want to read people bashing U2 then travel back in time bto when they consistently made good music.
There never was such a magical time. People have always found a reason to bitch about U2.

It makes sense that this thread is critical because The Best Thing in all its iterations is terrible for a variety of reasons, and the remix is embarrassing. This is easily U2's worst song. At least Crazy Tonight is smoothly arranged and SUC has some interesting moments.

Give me a break, easily worst?

Now I'm the first to admit that the single version really missed out with the transition out of the first chorus. The Sci Fi mix is a good song, and the somewhere in between is where they should have gone.

What the hell was that acoustic version about? Honestly, sometimes I literally have no idea what they’re thinking. Most times I can see the alternative point of view about a song decision or arrangement, but that there is utterly baffling, all the more so in a stadium gig.

It's really quite simple. 1. Ali was in the house; and/or 2. He was trying to save his voice. Everyone is overanalyzing.

It's really quite simple. 1. Ali was in the house; and/or 2. He was trying to save his voice. Everyone is overanalyzing.

Can't see how he was saving his voice when it was right at the end of the gig and they have a few weeks break until they start the next leg

I like the single; I've been humming it since it came out. I thought the acoustic was pretty terrible.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just listened and it was pretty bad. Can easily see how that would have drained all the energy in the stadium. But I do like the lower pitched Bono versus the incessant squealing we get from him too often these days, including on studio cuts where his voice is always way too high in the mix (including TBT single version).

That said, the worst acoustic version of any song they have ever done is EBW. The album version is so good, and they just butchered it on tour with the over the top vocal delivery which overwhelmed Edge's piano. That was a mess, night after night after night.

The thing i hate the most about TBT is the idea of fabricating a hit for radio.This goes so much againts what is the spirit of being a rock band.I suppose Beautiful day and Vertigo are hugely responsable for the band mindset about this.

Individually speaking,they are 56-57 years old, As a band as a whole, they are 40 years old.If the band is fighting againts not being viewed like the Rolling Stone,then they are loosing this battle in the eyes of the average Joe music fans.

They need to embrace their back catalogues and hall of fame history and enjoying being a jukebox every 4 years,just like the Stones. If not,then announce and do a fairwell tour.

Last edited:
We get it...you don't thing TBT is a good song. Reasonable people can disagree. But that's one song off an album we haven't heard yet...and considering their last album was well received by U2 fans it's hard to say they are not consistently releasing good music.

But they aren't. SOI is mostly good, NLOTH had some shit, a few very good songs and some mediocre ones. Bomb sucks. The three new songs are bad to average. They're very inconsistent.

There never was such a magical time. People have always found a reason to bitch about U2.

Give me a break, easily worst?

Now I'm the first to admit that the single version really missed out with the transition out of the first chorus. The Sci Fi mix is a good song, and the somewhere in between is where they should have gone.

From 1980 - 2000 they were consistently good and released several great albums. 83-93 is one of the great runs in rock history.

The released version is easily their worst. The sci Fi mix is fine but still in their lower third.

They need to embrace their back catalogues and hall of fame history and enjoying being a jukebox every 4 years,just like the Stones. If not,then announce and do a fairwell tour.

That's my worst nightmare!!! The band should release new music on and on. With less focus on the radiomarket. Just being u2, exploring new territories.
We need new ideas like they had with Mofo, Gone, Numb, Lemon, Stateless, The Fly, Soon.
That said I like the studioversions of EBW, TBT (as 'traditional' u2) a lot.

It seems there are many non-U2 fans or U2 haters are here posing as U2 fans. I hate this kind of activity very much. Why come in a band forum you do not like !!! I hate Bon Jovi, Coldplay etc and I never go to their fan site to express my disdain for them.
Probably has to do with our collective illiteracy

DKg7JXgWAAAhB7E

DKg7It8WAAAO5Qn

From 1980 - 2000 they were consistently good and released several great albums. 83-93 is one of the great runs in rock history.

I agree, but it wasn't without its bitching and moaning, which was the other side of your argument. There's never been this unanimous utopia, even within U2 fans. If the Internet were around then, it wouldn't be much different from now.

@U2 just tweeted this. Seems those images above are indeed from the music video! It appears to be NY centric and is probably what the pizza and dive bar shoots were for. Also even further confirmation that Dec. 1st is the album release date.

https://twitter.com/notmasonmerritt/status/912047851084984320

Why the fuck do they keep insisting on making these idiotic grandiose 'statement' videos and pretend their music represents something they are not. Just make a decent album and drop the grandstanding already.

LOL at U2 producing "consistently good" albums from 1980-2000.

I guess if your narrative is millennial U2 isn't as good and their song titles are too long and their lyrics are weaker, blah blah blah, then go for it.

Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car would have went over oh so well in this place....lol

Ahh, I didn't see the pics.

Obviously there's some symbolism but this isn't exactly a message song. If it was the video for "American Soul" I'd be rolling my eyes right along with you.

Bono really needs to change away from the granny shades if he wants anychance of appearing cool for the youngsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom