You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scorpions, Europe, Modern Talking, Boney M, Ace of Base, Roxette, Pet Shop Boys........ I will add others if I can recall others.

There's not a lot of crossover with U2 and these bands in the states either. In other words if you're hearing a lot of these bands on your favorite radio stations(or were 20 years ago) then you're probably not getting exposed to a lot of U2 either, regardless of your reading level.

Don't you think how you're marketed plays a big part? U2 also have had Christian themes tied to their image for most of their career, isn't India less than 1% Christian? Not that you still can't enjoy them, but my point is there are probably many other factors beyond literacy that play a part.[/QUOTE]

U2's WITH OR WITHOUT YOU was no. 2 song in the year end radio chart of Bangladesh in 1987. I would say that even though the overall percentage of educated people was low then but the quality of education was high and that's why a greater number of people used to request to hear U2's songs on the radio. But gradually though the literacy rate has gone up the quality of education has gone down inversely. So, now-a-days we rarely hear U2 on radio. And.... it hurts me a lot to see the diminishing popularity of U2 in my country. That's why after witnessing the gradual unpopularity of U2 in charts, I made my earlier assumptive comments that probably the quality of education is also at its very low worldwide. I hope I have made myself clear to all of my fellow U2 lovers.

tenor.gif

Well, most Indians I know speak excellent English. So maybe they're upset by Bono's grammar.

IMHO, speaking fluent English and understanding the deeper/ hidden / double meaning of English words / sentences / song lyrics is not the same thing. I can elaborate this if anybody wants.

hasin just don't care about the fact that others don't love the bands you like.

i personally give no shit about what others like.

Wow, what a turn this thread took.

Just for the record, U2 were meant to tour India in 1983. The War Tour was going to end with a leg through India, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand, but the band were exhausted after the gruelling schedule through Europe and North America and only did the Japanese dates. Australia and New Zealand were pushed back to the start of the UF Tour - which had a very War-esque setlist - but India never happened. They've simply never cultivated a fanbase in Asia, especially not outside Japan. That's why they haven't toured there. And, well, their weird Americentric touring pattern is another big reason why; come on, this band even underplays Europe, where they're most popular.

If the band got off their arses, they could definitely swing through India for 2-3 shows just off the back of the ex-pat population and whatever small local audience they have. India is so damn big that even a relatively small fanbase will sell out good sized venues. You don't have to look far to find other Western bands who've not only toured India, but played the biggest shows of their career there despite possessing no greater popularity there than elsewhere. Of course, those bands have taken a bit of effort to cultivate an Indian audience from early on, while U2 have toured so narrowly that they didn't perform in Italy until 1985, play a headline show in Finland until 1987, or go to Austria until 1992.

Thanks, Axver for those info. I didn't know U2 was planning to tour India in 1983.

Bon Jovi has never toured here but they have a huge fan base here and India simply because there lyrics are so simple and third rate compared to U2 ( personally I loathe Bon Jovi ). Bryan Adams is mighty popular here because he sings mostly love songs. So your two given reasons don't seem to be valid in determining U2's unpopularity here.

The obvious deductive reasoning is that Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams make better music than U2!

Why haven't U2 made more of an attempt to tour in Asia and build a fan base there? People know who they are and why leave out the majority of the world's population in terms of touring and promotion. China will sooner or later be the world's leader. Why not build your legacy in Asia to guarantee your immortality? I bet you Bon Jovi is much more popular in Asia than U2 thus making them the defacto biggest rock band in the world.

I really like The Best Thing now. There are a lot of layers to it and I genuinely enjoy listening to it.

Wow, man. That needs a bump. Thank you SO much for sharing that.

I've been a fan of this jam from minute one. Initially, even though I dug this song, I could still relate to folks problems w that lyric and the abrupt key change that made it seem "cut and pasted". It still didn't bother me even though I identify the same things.

Anyway, I just watched the NO performance (fuck yeah they JAM.) and then listened to this remix, and I can't identify those things anymore. I even dig that KYGO remix. That means I dig this song.

It's been a fun discovery and this mix just put me over the top.

Thanks again. I neeed to immediately rip this illegally.

Why haven't U2 made more of an attempt to tour in Asia and build a fan base there? People know who they are and why leave out the majority of the world's population in terms of touring and promotion. China will sooner or later be the world's leader. Why not build your legacy in Asia to guarantee your immortality? I bet you Bon Jovi is much more popular in Asia than U2 thus making them the defacto biggest rock band in the world.

because it's easier to lecture Americans about free speech and human rights. As we're a country that has them. Versus going to China or (or even Singapore) for example, where that message is vitally important but may land you in jail or worse.

Also, there's a lot more money and celebs in America. Bono digs that.

You're the Best Thing About Me

iTunes:
#5 India
#5 Papua New Guinea
#6 Ecuador
#7 Norway
#11 Italy
#12 Brazil
#13 Portugal
#15 Zimbabwe
#17 Colombia
#17 Sweden
#23 Chile
#26 Ukraine
#27 Denmark
#27 Spain
#28 South Africa
#30 Mexico
#33 Switzerland
#34 Cambodia
#36 Swaziland
#37 Ireland
#41 Belarus
#41 Luxembourg
#47 Turkey
#48 Austria
#48 Netherlands
#52 Indonesia
#54 France
#54 Germany
#65 Italy
#72 Ireland
#89 Canada
#91 Switzerland
#95 Belgium
#101 Australia
#102 Austria
#109 Singapore
#112 Brazil
#118 Mexico
#119 Russia
#132 Belgium
#133 Denmark
#138 United States
#145 United Kingdom
#187 United Kingdom
#188 Germany
#188 New Zealand

Apple Music:
#34 India
#47 Cape Verde
#48 Norway
#50 Belarus
#67 Papua New Guinea
#68 Italy
#70 Italy
#71 Sweden
#73 Spain
#96 Netherlands
#98 Denmark
#105 Ireland
#107 Luxembourg
#110 South Korea
#116 Sri Lanka
#121 Ireland
#121 Portugal
#123 Vietnam
#127 Belgium
#132 Ukraine
#135 Poland
#138 Guatemala
#142 South Africa
#148 Finland
#155 Australia
#163 Lithuania
#165 Indonesia
#169 Romania
#170 Kazakhstan
#176 Slovenia
#179 Moldova
#182 Switzerland
#183 Mongolia
#185 Ecuador
#193 Austria
#200 Azerbaijan

You’re The Best Thing About Me - U2 Vs. Kygo

Spotify:
#59 Taiwan
#65 Norway
#193 Sweden

:waiting: Move up!

That's the KYGO version that is no. 5 in India. The higher position is due to it's being dance mixed or EDM mixed, not because it is a U2 song. That's my main complaint about India or my country. Anything danceable or easy to understand romantic or love songs are hit in India but not U2 because of their songs are tinged with complex lyrical meaning.

actually i was mad at you initially but it is true that many EDM fans are weirdly royal. they'll even listen to his remix of Sexual Healing even if it's like, a remi of some 80s song

That's the KYGO version that is no. 5 in India. The higher position is due to it's being dance mixed or EDM mixed, not because it is a U2 song. That's my main complaint about India or my country. Anything danceable or easy to understand romantic or love songs are hit in India but not U2 because of their songs are tinged with complex lyrical meaning.
You should probably stop now

Must admit I'm loving this song now. When I finish work I have to drive home, takes me about 25 minutes. I have it on repeat on full blast everyday.Love it. Really grown on me and it's as catchy as hell

Will it stand the test of time with me only time will tell

You're the Best Thing About Me

iTunes:
#5 India
#5 Papua New Guinea
#6 Ecuador
#7 Norway
#11 Italy
#12 Brazil
#13 Portugal
#15 Zimbabwe
#17 Colombia
#17 Sweden
#23 Chile
#26 Ukraine
#27 Denmark
#27 Spain
#28 South Africa
#30 Mexico
#33 Switzerland
#34 Cambodia
#36 Swaziland
#37 Ireland
#41 Belarus
#41 Luxembourg
#47 Turkey
#48 Austria
#48 Netherlands
#52 Indonesia
#54 France
#54 Germany
#65 Italy
#72 Ireland
#89 Canada
#91 Switzerland
#95 Belgium
#101 Australia
#102 Austria
#109 Singapore
#112 Brazil
#118 Mexico
#119 Russia
#132 Belgium
#133 Denmark
#138 United States
#145 United Kingdom
#187 United Kingdom
#188 Germany
#188 New Zealand

Apple Music:
#34 India
#47 Cape Verde
#48 Norway
#50 Belarus
#67 Papua New Guinea
#68 Italy
#70 Italy
#71 Sweden
#73 Spain
#96 Netherlands
#98 Denmark
#105 Ireland
#107 Luxembourg
#110 South Korea
#116 Sri Lanka
#121 Ireland
#121 Portugal
#123 Vietnam
#127 Belgium
#132 Ukraine
#135 Poland
#138 Guatemala
#142 South Africa
#148 Finland
#155 Australia
#163 Lithuania
#165 Indonesia
#169 Romania
#170 Kazakhstan
#176 Slovenia
#179 Moldova
#182 Switzerland
#183 Mongolia
#185 Ecuador
#193 Austria
#200 Azerbaijan

You’re The Best Thing About Me - U2 Vs. Kygo

Spotify:
#59 Taiwan
#65 Norway
#193 Sweden

:waiting: Move up!

#138 United States
#187 United Kingdom
#188 Germany

Not counting Japan, that's at least three of the world's largest music markets:

...and clearly Azerbaijan hates U2.

Uk is 137 on the iTunes chart now

The kygo mix isn't in the top 200 anymore

I had a dream last night that they were performing at some music show and they completely butchered it. Coming in at the wrong moments and Bono changed it to "The best thing about me, is me"

Absolutely loving the song yet from the first listen. I wake up with the melody in my head... It's been mentioned before, I love the blackout, but I can barely even remember the melody and lyrics yet this one can't get out of my head.

So they changed the song to an acoustic version in San Diego :) my initial reaction is wtf are they doing but i haven't heard it yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom