You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe popularity of U2's music is the indicator of educational status of a country or the world in general. So, my assumption is...... the percentage of highly or moderately educated people of the world is all-time low now.

i must be illiterate now because i gave up on caring about lyrics and started listening to mostly instrumental music now

What I wanted to mean is that U2's songs lyrics and its deeper meaning are not easy to understand for illiterate or lower educated person. That's why U2 is not that much popular in third world countries with huge population but low literacy rate like India and Bangladesh. But take Europe..... U2 is hugely popular in almost all countries simply because they are educated enough to understand U2's lyrical meaning. U2's songs resonate with them profoundly.

Oh holy fuck, this one is worst than your original post. :facepalm:

big fat nope for that one

Then please explain why U2 is not popular in my country ( Bangladesh ) or India. The people who like U2 in those 2 countries are either highly educated or completing their higher education. Average public do not hear U2, let alone like their songs. I am the admin of U2 FAN CLUB, BANGLADESH and all the members of my club have at least graduate degree. U2 still haven't toured a massive country like India simply because there will be not enough audience to justify their going there. Larry once said during POPMART tour that they wanted to stage a concert in India beside Taj Mahal but the authority would not allow them because Taj might be harmed due to volume overload. But I think that's pure crap. Main reason was U2's unpopularity among the Indians. There was simply not enough demand. And.... it all boils down to illiteracy rate being lower in India.

What I wanted to mean is that U2's songs lyrics and its deeper meaning are not easy to understand for illiterate or lower educated person. That's why U2 is not that much popular in third world countries with huge population but low literacy rate like India and Bangladesh. But take Europe..... U2 is hugely popular in almost all countries simply because they are educated enough to understand U2's lyrical meaning. U2's songs resonate with them profoundly.
Would you like your crazy card face up it face down?

Just heard it on the radio for the first time since the first day it came out :)

Then please explain why U2 is not popular in my country ( Bangladesh ) or India. The people who like U2 in those 2 countries are either highly educated or completing their higher education. Average public do not hear U2, let alone like their songs. I am the admin of U2 FAN CLUB, BANGLADESH and all the members of my club have at least graduate degree. U2 still haven't toured a massive country like India simply because there will be not enough audience to justify their going there. Larry once said during POPMART tour that they wanted to stage a concert in India beside Taj Mahal but the authority would not allow them because Taj might be harmed due to volume overload. But I think that's pure crap. Main reason was U2's unpopularity among the Indians. There was simply not enough demand. And.... it all boils down to illiteracy rate being lower in India.

Du fuq?

U2 is a European band. They are from Europe. Of course they are popular there.

Do you see a lot of rock bands from the Western world crossing over and becoming popular in the Eastern Hemisphere? I don't think literacy has ANYTHING to do it with. It's cultural differences. That and the fact that U2 doesn't tour Asia, so there why would they have a large fanbase there?

Still not a clue why we haven't got the actual video yet?

I wouldn't expect anything till after the tour is over. No promo (besides Fallon). Either they think it can survive on radio alone until tour finishes or maybe they've given up on the song

There was a lot of video footage shot for SOI that never saw light of day.

That's some poor deductive reasoning. It ALL boils down to literacy?

What European bands are popular there?

Du fuq?

U2 is a European band. They are from Europe. Of course they are popular there.

Do you see a lot of rock bands from the Western world crossing over and becoming popular in the Eastern Hemisphere? I don't think literacy has ANYTHING to do it with. It's cultural differences. That and the fact that U2 doesn't tour Asia, so there why would they have a large fanbase there?

Bon Jovi has never toured here but they have a huge fan base here and India simply because there lyrics are so simple and third rate compared to U2 ( personally I loathe Bon Jovi ). Bryan Adams is mighty popular here because he sings mostly love songs. So your two given reasons don't seem to be valid in determining U2's unpopularity here.

[QUOiTE=BVS;8203609]That's some poor deductive reasoning. It ALL boils down to literacy?

What European bands are popular there?[/QUOTE]

Scorpions, Europe, Modern Talking, Boney M, Ace of Base, Roxette, Pet Shop Boys........ I will add others if I can recall others.

Well, most Indians I know speak excellent English. So maybe they're upset by Bono's grammar.

They are the highly or moderately educated ones. Bangladesh also have those kind of people a plenty. But they are a very low percentage in terms of total population.

[QUOiTE=BVS;8203609]That's some poor deductive reasoning. It ALL boils down to literacy?

What European bands are popular there?

Scorpions, Europe, Modern Talking, Boney M, Ace of Base, Roxette, Pet Shop Boys........ I will add others if I can recall others.[/QUOTE]

There's not a lot of crossover with U2 and these bands in the states either. In other words if you're hearing a lot of these bands on your favorite radio stations(or were 20 years ago) then you're probably not getting exposed to a lot of U2 either, regardless of your reading level.

Don't you think how you're marketed plays a big part? U2 also have had Christian themes tied to their image for most of their career, isn't India less than 1% Christian? Not that you still can't enjoy them, but my point is there are probably many other factors beyond literacy that play a part.

Wow, what a turn this thread took.

Just for the record, U2 were meant to tour India in 1983. The War Tour was going to end with a leg through India, Japan, Australia, and New Zealand, but the band were exhausted after the gruelling schedule through Europe and North America and only did the Japanese dates. Australia and New Zealand were pushed back to the start of the UF Tour - which had a very War-esque setlist - but India never happened. They've simply never cultivated a fanbase in Asia, especially not outside Japan. That's why they haven't toured there. And, well, their weird Americentric touring pattern is another big reason why; come on, this band even underplays Europe, where they're most popular.

If the band got off their arses, they could definitely swing through India for 2-3 shows just off the back of the ex-pat population and whatever small local audience they have. India is so damn big that even a relatively small fanbase will sell out good sized venues. You don't have to look far to find other Western bands who've not only toured India, but played the biggest shows of their career there despite possessing no greater popularity there than elsewhere. Of course, those bands have taken a bit of effort to cultivate an Indian audience from early on, while U2 have toured so narrowly that they didn't perform in Italy until 1985, play a headline show in Finland until 1987, or go to Austria until 1992.

Maybe Japan's literacy rate has dropped :shrug:

maybe?

i know it's crazy that they've filled stadiums and stuff but i can tell that U2 fanbase here isn't that big or enthusiastic. but again, even in US i haven't encountered that many U2 fans IRL so.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom