You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure The Man is satirical - about as sincere as The Playboy Mansion. May not make it like you more, but I don't think it's just Brandon Flowers being a self-obsessed idiot.

Yeah, it's totally satirical. If you've any doubt, should check out the video.

The two days sales didn't put the song in the top 100. The first full week gave it a 92 position. The song is now 145 on iTunes. All last week it didn't come out the top 50. The song will be out of the top 100 this week for sure.

I think most people on the thread being US based are using their Billboard/radio play/YouTube stream singles system which is really slow as opposed to ours which is a week of sales and Spotify etc (I take it your UK based?) Now, had they launched the song with bonus material ala their older singles and had a ready to go music video and say waited 2months after JT17 was done, then maybe it'd get more attention and do better, given that then they could give the song THEIR undivided attention too, but they didn't....

And... #92/100 peak - songs's dead over here in Blighty it seems.

Pretty sure The Man is satirical - about as sincere as The Playboy Mansion. May not make it like you more, but I don't think it's just Brandon Flowers being a self-obsessed idiot.

I didn't think at all that he was singing about himself....that's obvious, but it's pretty lame satire.

I mean, this is part of the lyrics:

I got gas in the tank
I got money in the bank
I got news for you baby, you're looking at the man
I got skin in the game
I got a household name

Are you kidding me? And Bono gets crap for "happen a boy."

I didn't think at all that he was singing about himself....that's obvious, but it's pretty lame satire.

I mean, this is part of the lyrics:

I got gas in the tank
I got money in the bank
I got skin in the game
I got a household name

Are you kidding me? And Bono gets crap for "happen a boy."

yeah but it's supposed to be silly and fun.

Beautiful Day was released 17 years ago. How it charted is hardly relevant.

It's relevant in the context that posters are saying if the song isn't instantly charting it won't ever chart. The narrative being pushed is that if TBT hasn't charted or been all over the radio in its first week then it never will chart/be in the radio when that wasn't the case in 2000 and it isn't the case now....songs have slow burns.

However, I will use a more recent example:

Imagine Dragons-Thunder

4/27- Digital Download released
5/2- Video released
5/20- song hits Hot 100 at #70 (23 days later)
5/27- song drops to #92
6/3- song drops to #94
6/10 to 9/9- song bounces around between #87 to 59

9/16- Song peaks at #45 (142 days after digital download the song peaks)
9/23- still #45

As I said, this song might fail because it sucks or because U2 is old or because millennial U2 is too poppy but we can't call it a failure just based on the fact it hasn't hit the charts after only 10 days....

U2 could release the greatest song ever right now and it wouldn't be a hit. On the other hand, if TaySway or Adele released The Best Thing right now it'd shoot to #1. That's just the game we're playing now. They should just stick to writing good material for the fans and focus being the top grossing touring act in the world.

It's relevant in the context that posters are saying if the song isn't instantly charting it won't ever chart. The narrative being pushed is that if TBT hasn't charted or been all over the radio in its first week then it never will chart/be in the radio when that wasn't the case in 2000 and it isn't the case now....songs have slow burns.

Imagine Dragons-Thunder

5/2- Video released
5/27- song drops to #92
6/3- song drops to #94

9/23- still #45

As I said, this song might fail because it sucks or because U2 is old or because millennial U2 is too poppy but we can't call it a failure just based on the fact it hasn't hit the charts after only 10 days....
I think we are all obsessed with the charts (myself included sometimes), I guess what I am trying to say is why not enjoy the song for what it is and not by how it charts? I am pretty certain we all know U2 will never chart #1 again or even top 10, but we seamed to be far more concerned about how the song charts than the actual song. Come to think about it, U2 seams to do the same, they seam far more concerned about topping the charts/being relevant rather than release great heart felt music not attempts at getting a hit.

As much as I would miss seeing them live, I think I would prefer that they retire from touring and just work on recording albums...sort of like what the Beatles did, but that would never happen for two primary reasons: (1) Bono would go crazy without the adulation of fans - performing live is his oxygen and he hates the studio; and (2) The Edge's perfectionism - he would spend 3 years on one guitar part of one song.

I don't think anyone has ever looked to Brandon Flowers for great lyrics.

C'mon, this is not totally genius?

Well somebody told me you had a boyfriend
Who looked like a girlfriend
That I had in February of last year
It's not confidential, I've got potential

U2 could release the greatest song ever right now and it wouldn't be a hit. On the other hand, if TaySway or Adele released The Best Thing right now it'd shoot to #1. That's just the game we're playing now. They should just stick to writing good material for the fans and focus being the top grossing touring act in the world.

I agree with this. Just release great music, but not focus on topping the charts.
The Best Thing is a great song and a great single, but it won't chart.... It would have had a chance if they would have released is as a physical ep. The same happened with Every breaking wave and Magnificent. Those songs are imo among the best the band have ever released.

Rolling Stone just published a great new interview with Edge. Well worth the read as he goes into detail on SOE, the next tour, and outlines a lot of the changes that went into The Best Thing (and how it still might change for the album)..

The Edge on New U2 Album, Bono's 'Brush With Mortality' - Rolling Stone

Here's a relevant passage about how the last minute changes came about:
In the case of "You're the Best Thing About Me," we were really excited about the mix we had six weeks ago. Then we started talking about how we were going to play it live and I went back to some early demos and found this one that had done at a point when we were experimenting with different arrangement ideas. It was an experiment we hadn't pursued and I thought, "This would be a good approach if we play it live," which we did on the Jimmy Fallon show. It's a fleshed-out approach with some new guitars.

Then Bono came into the studio to listen to it and was like, "OK, something is happening here. It's a better song now. I can't explain why, but I'm feeling something off this." So we kind of went off in a panic with us working furiously with two days to go before we had to turn the single in and get it to everybody for their consideration. We ended up agreeing that the simplicity, the rawness of it offers a counterbalance to the lyric and melody, which is very classic. It's a love song and it kind of takes it in a more convincing way. Somehow the song seems better - and it was totally last minute.

Imagine Dragons-Thunder

5/2- Video released
5/27- song drops to #92
6/3- song drops to #94

9/23- still #45

Thunder might possibly be the worst song I have EVER heard. :angry:

I agree with this. Just release great music, but not focus on topping the charts.
The Best Thing is a great song and a great single, but it won't chart.... It would have had a chance if they would have released is as a physical ep. The same happened with Every breaking wave and Magnificent. Those songs are imo among the best the band have ever released.

no sorry, U2 live is what defines U2. Never stop touring.

what they should do is stop trying to make another great album. either start releasing EPs instead of LPs (and more frequently of course) or just be OK with a more raw, less polished sound.

of course they will not do this, they are still scarred from Pop.

Thunder might possibly be the worst song I have EVER heard. :angry:

So I heard it on the radio the other day for the very first time (only time so far) and I actually liked it....but it was only one time and I can't remember too much about it other than it made me look at my radio to get the name.

I suggest you listen to Katy Perrys new song Swish Swish and watch the video too. I would bet it would take the crown for worst song

But didn't Taylor Swift song bomb too? It didn't seem to go over too well. Heard it once and it was awful but I never listen to mainstream or top 40.

In other news I heard the Killers song The Man this morning and just thought wtf!? And U2 is being accused of crafting an empty pop tune? The Best Thing is like avant garde next to that Killers song. Every single line in that song is a cliche to end all cliches but maybe I am not smart enough to catch the irony or the point of it.

I generally like the Killers and I absolutely hate this song.

Edge said the album was mainly mixed and finalised, so with only small changes still yet to happen.

So I wonder if the album mix of TBT might be the one we were going to originally get until they changed it last minute? He did say that one would see the light of day, after all. And I imagine if they had it kicking around for a year unchanged, they'll probably want to get it out in some shape or form. I'm keen to hear it, as it must have been pretty good if it was the final mix up until a couple days before the release!

Well there's precedence for releasing "single mixes" and "album mixes". I doubt it will change greatly but if it does I'm cool with that. The Sci-Fi mix is 'eh'...but it's nice. Kygo is funky...in a couple of different ways...:shifty:

That was me, thank you :)

It was head and shoulders above the single mix and fixed a lot of the issues I had with the single. Did you add some reverb to the vocals and I think Edge's chimey guitar sound even sounds better because it was louder in the mix and fit the song better as a result. More rockin and with a better "wall of sound" feel. Single mix sounded sort of stringy.

US Chart: Hot Rock Songs

Here's an update for the North American market.

Attachments

• 01 - U2.jpg
    01 - U2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 83
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom