You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are going with the kygo mix , why is there no press. Nothing on u2.com at all

No charting in the uk, not even in the top 100

Not even in the top 40 rock charts

I'm old enough to recall, the glorious day when Pride, which at the time received very little crazy fanfare hype, effortlessly entered the Top 10 on the band's name alone (yes.. it was a million times better than this song too which helps), however as mentioned above this tune has done zip in the Top 100 UK Singles Charts, so a #16 peak in iTunes meant little when it came to the real thing. But, I was perhaps expecting ooh maybe 15 or a 19 peak? as unlike Invisible and the Ballad Of Joey Tribbiani it wasn't a freebie.

#hits #popkidshavespoken

Official Singles Chart Top 100 | Official Charts Company

Well that's weird, the Kygo mix has just popped up on the on the front page of Apple Music ( I'd not visited the forum in a few days so missed the chat).

Its a strange remix as the tempo is quite plodding and I'm not sure how much it adds to it to be honest. I think the original mix is much more radio friendly. Plus, the bit near the end where it sounds like the sound is cutting out is just annoying... I must be getting old :)

All in all, utterly underwhelming!

Last edited:
Would u2 even do well in the charts now with an exceptional song though?

It's hard to say. Their best shot would be to release something unmistakably and undeniably great, though. A remarkable video that gets people talking would help. Exploring new promotional avenues (like Vertigo) has helped their current releases to some degree and I'm not sure what else they could have done. Maybe that's why they dropped The Blackout on Facebook (it's promising that they're still exploring such avenues but I think they probably didn't get the phenomenal results they might have hoped for as the single is disjointed and average in some ways.)

All this is, of course, easier said than done.

So, firstly, it has to be undeniable. In this digital age, A's don't always fly unless you're someone who's "hot" like Taylor Swift. It might have to be an A+ for a band of their age. Secondly, either make it timely and topical or just make the best music they can without worrying about relevance whatsoever (probably the latter at this point).

Think of the unexpected drops like Invisible and Ordinary Love. They are more timely and topical and, I think, did better on the charts (since that's what we're talking about).

Last edited:
For me, YATBTAM is supposed to be a poppy dance tune .. I really think that the Kygo Remix works better than the "Single Mix".

Why would they bank on a Kygo mix for chart success and promote it? They are a rock band for heaven sake. This is not freaking Bruno Mars or Justin Timberlake.

The Kygo mix is utter crap and completely guts U2 characteristics from it.

If you are not on this thread you listen to the Kygo mix everytime. Makes you dance. Hell it makes you happy even. Kygo is a boss this is a great move.

Why would they bank on a Kygo mix for chart success and promote it? They are a rock band for heaven sake. This is not freaking Bruno Mars or Justin Timberlake.

The Kygo mix is utter crap and completely guts U2 characteristics from it.

Because those are the relevant artists u2 want to be in the same bracket as. Never gonna work but can't knock them for trying

Whether you like EDM or not, the mix definitely has its strengths. More room to breathe / not as cluttered, appealing (to me) vocal processing, the "Best Thing!" vocals in the background, the catchy vocal fragments, etc.

It sounds the best produced, to my ears.

All the mixes have pros and cons.

I also believe fans of Kygo have been waiting for a new song from him for song time. This is a big deal to Kygo fans.

I was actually a bit worried because while I think the original version works well as an album version I never saw much potential for it as a single. The streaming numbers on Spotify haven't been horrible, but not particularly great either (around 2,5 million right now), and YouTube numbers are disappointingly low IMO (barely 2 million).

This Kygo version is better, though, and I'm glad they've released it properly already. For listening to the song personally I'll probably prefer original version in most scenarios, but this new version has merit and is a lot more likely to get decent streaming numbers (don't think it'll ever be more than "decent" from a wider perspective, but that's ok).

Now release a good music video for it, please. Love good U2 videos.

This place is so confusing sometimes.

As someone who really likes the regular TBT, I will concede that there's no accounting for taste, sure, but this remix is so disposable. I understand why a lot of people have a issues with the single's mix, but this remix is so cut-copy in the most mundane way possible. No bassline, no Edge... verse/chorus/vocal chop interlude/verse/chorus/vocal chop interlude. There are no dynamics, it's completely lifeless. Jeez. I went to the University of Miami for one year of college before transferring, and this song reminds me of a third or fourth rate dance club in South Beach that has its doors wide open and music blaring and specials advertised, but no one is in there and they STILL won't let you in if you're not properly dressed.

Whether you like EDM or not, the mix definitely has its strengths. More room to breathe / not as cluttered, appealing (to me) vocal processing, the "Best Thing!" vocals in the background, the catchy vocal fragments, etc.

It sounds the best produced, to my ears.

All the mixes have pros and cons.

I totally agree. It's funny, I had been listening to TBT for like a week and tried to warm to this mix but hadn't. Then randomly David Bowie' s "Let's Dance" came on my iPod. I finally realized in that moment what I don't like about TBT- it doesn't just pick an aesthetic and stay with it. It's not that memorable. They're similar songs too- both are borderline annoying, both are Nile Rodgers-inspired (one produced by him), and both are swings for the pop charts by artists who, at the time, hadnt seen them for a minute. Unlike "Dance", which was a hit and holds up well, TBT feels strained. Bono seems strained, the guitars seem forced, the solo seems odd and like a rhythm part, the production is all over the place. The Kygo mix is simpler, more direct, and feels like a more complete single. I really hoped they were going to avoid the over tinkering, but alas it appears it struck again.

Last edited:
For those trying to judge this song's chart success, it's simply way too early to say. Unless you're Taylor Swift or Justin Beiber, you have to earn your way onto the radio. Even the songs that become hits, climb the charts slowly. It will take weeks, even months to get a realistic view of this song's success or failure.

As for the mix, I think both have their strengths. But, the Kygo mix does allow the song to breathe more. The transitions from the verses to the chorus are also much less awkward.

Kygo's involvement is already getting the song a tremendous amount of traction on social media, helping U2 and the song reach an audience they would have never reached alone.

In the end, it's so hard for me to judge my initial reaction to this song. I've listened to it so many times over the past year, it already feels old.

This place is so confusing sometimes.

As someone who really likes the regular TBT, I will concede that there's no accounting for taste, sure, but this remix is so disposable. I understand why a lot of people have a issues with the single's mix, but this remix is so cut-copy in the most mundane way possible. No bassline, no Edge... verse/chorus/vocal chop interlude/verse/chorus/vocal chop interlude. There are no dynamics, it's completely lifeless. Jeez. I went to the University of Miami for one year of college before transferring, and this song reminds me of a third or fourth rate dance club in South Beach that has its doors wide open and music blaring and specials advertised, but no one is in there and they STILL won't let you in if you're not properly dressed.

Completely agree. Pathetic for U2 if this mix has more success than the single version. What's next? Carly Rae Jespson mix of Blackout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom