You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be honest 99.9% of remixes are absolute garbage. Remember all the magnificent ones , beautiful day, vertigo. There all crap in my opinion. Only 3 that springs to mind that we're good was the elevation remix used on the tour, the ebttrt remix that charted higher then the original and one of the mofo remixes was great.

Ytbtam kygo mix is actually really good, as far as remixes go anyway. I like it
Trent reznor mix of vertigo wasn't bad.

Last edited:
I am so happy they are releasing this version. To me, this is how the song should have sounded all along. The Kygo breakdown with Bono's voice chopped up and the ending of the song make the song so much more fun and free sounding.

I am so happy they are releasing this version. To me, this is how the song should have sounded all along. The Kygo breakdown with Bono's voice chopped up and the ending of the song make the song so much more fun and free sounding.
Absolutely, it's 100x better, flows and just sounds "right". The single version is close on a disaster.

Different strokes for different folks. I prefer the final "disaster" mix (should be the nickname since that seems to be the opinion around here), but the other two mixes that we've heard (Sci-Fi & Kygo) are well done.

The single version is just trying desperately to make the song sound like something it's DNA is not, a rock song.

Everyone talks about dreadful dance remixes. Here it's the other way around. The single is a dreadful rock remix.

I don't think it's trying to sound like a rock song at all. It's definitely kind of throwback-y, but I don't think it's anything other than a pop song.

I still greatly prefer the single mix.

Representing the Aussies - sorry it took me nearly eight hours to listen! Sounds... tamer than I remember. Less 'thrust' is probably the only way I can describe it. The choppy vocal break is cool, and the guitar in the outro feels like a missed opportunity. Oh well, they both exist, and hopefully similar enough to push it up the charts.

So what the hell has become of the Sci-Fi mix?

A few radio stations are reportedly playing that version so it's still out there. I'm almost certain it'll be available with the deluxe edition of SoE if they don't release a physical single for TBT.

A few radio stations are reportedly playing that version so it's still out there. I'm almost certain it'll be available with the deluxe edition of SoE if they don't release a physical single for TBT.

Huh. I've certainly not heard any stations play it. Is it format specific?

I'm not usually a huge fan of remixes. U2 have had a few I like. The RAC remix of Magnificent was my most recent favorite.

I do think they have an interesting plan here. I can see this mix getting some traction. Maybe getting a foothold on alt or pop stations that might not have given U2 alone a fair shake. While AC stations play the single version.
Would be cool to see this multiple approach give the song greater exposure.

I still like the single mix better, but I also like the Kygo mix. I'm hoping this all means they have an actual plan of atrack this time around on the radio/streaming front.

I also prefer the single mix. By a lot.

I am still making sure to listen to it once a day. But I am listening a lot more than that.

My 2 year old daughter just said "I don't like that noise" in reference to DJ mix I just played to listen to those lyrics. She'll join this forum soon enough (if not already) to bitch about this song.

Single mix is my preference for sure, its catchier and more fun, Sweetest Thing meets Beautiful Day kind of fun.

Its the one I enjoy, the Kygo mix is the one I would destroy, Roy.

Huh. I've certainly not heard any stations play it. Is it format specific?

Yeah I've only heard the single mix on the radio personally but I'm in a fan group on FB & two members commented about hearing the soul mix. One was on an alternative station on SiriusXM radio & I believe the other was KROQ in LA. Stations are able to play which ever version they wish but it seems most stations (that play it) are broadcasting the single version.

Just listened to the new Kygo mix. I like it.

I find the production is much smoother. I think it could do well on radio.

There are elements of the Kygo and Sci-fi mix that I like a lot, but ultimately I think I probably prefer the official single version most. Definitely seems like it could have been better, though.

The verse to chorus part is probably the worst in the Kygo mix.

Yep, still really like this version. It's just a little more infectious than the original, and the build into the first chorus is just really damn good.

Interested to see if this gets any traction. Just went to Spotify and Kygo gets a lot of hits - wonder if this will catch on in any other circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom