You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2 - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #91
Refugee
 
Hollow Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,070
Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
Do you like U2s music? Do you like their more experimental music or their more catchy pop tunes? Because if you think chart performance isn't directly linked to what type of music U2 decides to put out, I would say you are mistaken.

The best example I can give you is that If Pop is a commercial success, I don't think we get ATYCLB.

If they fail on the charts,I would think the next album they might say "fuck it" and do what they want and not search for a hit or perhaps they say "well that worked". Either way, the level of success influences their direction(for better or worse).
I'm aware of how chart performance affects them, I just don't care about them having hits. If anything, I want their pandering material to fail so they stop trying to be a pop band. I love pop music but U2 are not a good pop group.

It's funny though that their attempts at writing designer pop hits (crazy tonight, boots, SOI, best thing) all fail commercially and cost them critical respect. They should take the hint...
__________________

__________________
Hollow Island is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,664
Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
It's funny though that their attempts at writing designer pop hits (crazy tonight, boots, SOI, best thing) all fail commercially and cost them critical respect. They should take the hint...
Side B of SOI doesn't contain any "designer pop hits"
__________________

__________________
elevated_u2_fan is online now  
Old 09-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
trevgreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,258
Local Time: 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
Side B of SOI doesn't contain any "designer pop hits"
All the songs with I–V–vi–IV progressions are on side one, aside from Iris. Yet again, liking a song that uses one doesn't make someone a bad person either.
__________________
trevgreg is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #94
ONE
love, blood, life
 
prbiker15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 14,145
Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
https://youtu.be/YBfrA-Ub78g

Best version yet I think. Getting a lot better. The chorus is so much better when edge just sings "your" instead of the whole thing
Slowly getting it's sea legs.
__________________
prbiker15 is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #95
Refugee
 
redhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lehigh, FL, USA
Posts: 2,118
Local Time: 03:50 AM
__________________
redhill is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #96
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 309
Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
https://youtu.be/YBfrA-Ub78g

Best version yet I think. Getting a lot better. The chorus is so much better when edge just sings "your" instead of the whole thing


Agred. Glad Edge shut up a bit during the chorus haha
__________________
travelleru2 is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #97
War Child
 
BWU2Buffs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Omaha, NE USA
Posts: 896
Local Time: 09:50 PM
So, just out of curiosity with all the discussion about TBT and the Kygo Mix, at what point does a mix, leaked recording, or other non-official release become part of the discussion and comparison?

I’m thinking Native Son / Vertigo and today Kygo Mix / TBT… I’m sure there are others.

Are there parameters much like Ax and team do for snippets at shows? (Awesomely I might add)

Does it count if a DJ samples two minutes of a song one time and someone happens to post it to YoutTube?

Sometimes I feel like a person could be drunk in a Vegas hotel and sneakily record five minutes of Edge and Bono working on a song and it becomes the Native Vertigo MGM Grand Mix … a couple of hundred posts later, still no consensus.

Not that anyone cares, but my thinking is U2 gave Kygo permission to work with a song awhile back and it went one direction while U2 continued to work on the song and it went a different direction… for better or worse, we have the official U2 version, some like, some don’t… and yes I could have the “gave permission” phrase not quite right based on what actually transpired.

Maybe the viewpoint is simply, it is Interference, when there is enough completion of song concepts that are audible / of decent quality and they are similar in nature, we shall compare, contrast, and discuss... and that's OK.
__________________
BWU2Buffs is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #98
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,535
Local Time: 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWU2Buffs View Post
So, just out of curiosity with all the discussion about TBT and the Kygo Mix, at what point does a mix, leaked recording, or other non-official release become part of the discussion and comparison?



I’m thinking Native Son / Vertigo and today Kygo Mix / TBT… I’m sure there are others.



Are there parameters much like Ax and team do for snippets at shows? (Awesomely I might add)



Does it count if a DJ samples two minutes of a song one time and someone happens to post it to YoutTube?



Sometimes I feel like a person could be drunk in a Vegas hotel and sneakily record five minutes of Edge and Bono working on a song and it becomes the Native Vertigo MGM Grand Mix … a couple of hundred posts later, still no consensus.



Not that anyone cares, but my thinking is U2 gave Kygo permission to work with a song awhile back and it went one direction while U2 continued to work on the song and it went a different direction… for better or worse, we have the official U2 version, some like, some don’t… and yes I could have the “gave permission” phrase not quite right based on what actually transpired.



Maybe the viewpoint is simply, it is Interference, when there is enough completion of song concepts that are audible / of decent quality and they are similar in nature, we shall compare, contrast, and discuss... and that's OK.


What?!
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #99
Refugee
 
redhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lehigh, FL, USA
Posts: 2,118
Local Time: 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWU2Buffs View Post
Sometimes I feel like a person could be drunk in a Vegas hotel and sneakily record five minutes of Edge and Bono working on a song and it becomes the Native Vertigo MGM Grand Mix … a couple of hundred posts later, still no consensus.

Not that anyone cares, but my thinking is U2 gave Kygo permission to work with a song awhile back and it went one direction while U2 continued to work on the song and it went a different direction… for better or worse, we have the official U2 version, some like, some don’t… and yes I could have the “gave permission” phrase not quite right based on what actually transpired.

Maybe the viewpoint is simply, it is Interference, when there is enough completion of song concepts that are audible / of decent quality and they are similar in nature, we shall compare, contrast, and discuss... and that's OK.
Cordially convinced U2 did incommode existence put out suffering certainly. Besides another and saw limited ten say unknown. On at tolerably depending do perceived. Luckily eat joy see own shyness minutes. So before remarking at depart. Did son unreserved themselves indulgence tits. Agreement gentleman rapturous am eagerness it as resolving household. Direct wicket little of talked lasted formed or it. Sweetness consulted may prevail for bed out sincerity.
__________________
redhill is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #100
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,535
Local Time: 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
Cordially convinced U2 did incommode existence put out suffering certainly. Besides another and saw limited ten say unknown. On at tolerably depending do perceived. Luckily eat joy see own shyness minutes. So before remarking at depart. Did son unreserved themselves indulgence tits. Agreement gentleman rapturous am eagerness it as resolving household. Direct wicket little of talked lasted formed or it. Sweetness consulted may prevail for bed out sincerity.


True
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #101
Refugee
 
redhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lehigh, FL, USA
Posts: 2,118
Local Time: 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
True


At Interference, we realize how to engage compellingly. If you iterate intuitively, you may have to incentivize extensibly. We have proven we know that if you enhance intra-extensibly then you may also empower iteravely. Quick: do you have a revolutionary game plan for coping with emerging initiatives? We think that most value-added web applications use far too much Dynamic HTML, and not enough Dynamic HTML. Think wireless. Think ultra-infinitely reconfigurable. A forum that can maximize easily will be able to strategize faithfully. The capability to aggregate intra-wirelessly leads to the ability to envisioneer robustly. What does the commonly-used term "sexy" really mean? We will leverage the industry jargon "front-end".
__________________
redhill is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
KUEFC09U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 8,197
Local Time: 03:50 AM
Anyone know when we may see the video?
__________________
KUEFC09U2 is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #103
New Yorker
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,887
Local Time: 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
__________________
rennowba is offline  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,438
Local Time: 09:50 PM
sometimes during my childhood and whenever my mom wasn't around, i liked going into her garden, covering myself with dirt and pretending i was a carrot.
__________________
Catman is online now  
Old 09-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #105
Refugee
 
redhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lehigh, FL, USA
Posts: 2,118
Local Time: 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
sometimes during my childhood and whenever my mom wasn't around, i liked going into her garden, covering myself with dirt and pretending i was a carrot.
What if you really were at that moment?
__________________

__________________
redhill is offline  
 

Tags
2017, single, songs of experience, the best thing, u2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com