You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2 - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #91
Refugee

Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
Do you like U2s music? Do you like their more experimental music or their more catchy pop tunes? Because if you think chart performance isn't directly linked to what type of music U2 decides to put out, I would say you are mistaken.

The best example I can give you is that If Pop is a commercial success, I don't think we get ATYCLB.

If they fail on the charts,I would think the next album they might say "fuck it" and do what they want and not search for a hit or perhaps they say "well that worked". Either way, the level of success influences their direction(for better or worse).
I'm aware of how chart performance affects them, I just don't care about them having hits. If anything, I want their pandering material to fail so they stop trying to be a pop band. I love pop music but U2 are not a good pop group.

It's funny though that their attempts at writing designer pop hits (crazy tonight, boots, SOI, best thing) all fail commercially and cost them critical respect. They should take the hint...

Old 09-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
It's funny though that their attempts at writing designer pop hits (crazy tonight, boots, SOI, best thing) all fail commercially and cost them critical respect. They should take the hint...
Side B of SOI doesn't contain any "designer pop hits"

Old 09-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
Side B of SOI doesn't contain any "designer pop hits"
All the songs with I–V–vi–IV progressions are on side one, aside from Iris. Yet again, liking a song that uses one doesn't make someone a bad person either.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #94
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
https://youtu.be/YBfrA-Ub78g

Best version yet I think. Getting a lot better. The chorus is so much better when edge just sings "your" instead of the whole thing
Slowly getting it's sea legs.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #95
Refugee

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Old 09-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #96
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
https://youtu.be/YBfrA-Ub78g

Best version yet I think. Getting a lot better. The chorus is so much better when edge just sings "your" instead of the whole thing

Agred. Glad Edge shut up a bit during the chorus haha
Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #97
War Child

So, just out of curiosity with all the discussion about TBT and the Kygo Mix, at what point does a mix, leaked recording, or other non-official release become part of the discussion and comparison?

I’m thinking Native Son / Vertigo and today Kygo Mix / TBT… I’m sure there are others.

Are there parameters much like Ax and team do for snippets at shows? (Awesomely I might add)

Does it count if a DJ samples two minutes of a song one time and someone happens to post it to YoutTube?

Sometimes I feel like a person could be drunk in a Vegas hotel and sneakily record five minutes of Edge and Bono working on a song and it becomes the Native Vertigo MGM Grand Mix … a couple of hundred posts later, still no consensus.

Not that anyone cares, but my thinking is U2 gave Kygo permission to work with a song awhile back and it went one direction while U2 continued to work on the song and it went a different direction… for better or worse, we have the official U2 version, some like, some don’t… and yes I could have the “gave permission” phrase not quite right based on what actually transpired.

Maybe the viewpoint is simply, it is Interference, when there is enough completion of song concepts that are audible / of decent quality and they are similar in nature, we shall compare, contrast, and discuss... and that's OK.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #98
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWU2Buffs View Post
So, just out of curiosity with all the discussion about TBT and the Kygo Mix, at what point does a mix, leaked recording, or other non-official release become part of the discussion and comparison?

I’m thinking Native Son / Vertigo and today Kygo Mix / TBT… I’m sure there are others.

Are there parameters much like Ax and team do for snippets at shows? (Awesomely I might add)

Does it count if a DJ samples two minutes of a song one time and someone happens to post it to YoutTube?

Sometimes I feel like a person could be drunk in a Vegas hotel and sneakily record five minutes of Edge and Bono working on a song and it becomes the Native Vertigo MGM Grand Mix … a couple of hundred posts later, still no consensus.

Not that anyone cares, but my thinking is U2 gave Kygo permission to work with a song awhile back and it went one direction while U2 continued to work on the song and it went a different direction… for better or worse, we have the official U2 version, some like, some don’t… and yes I could have the “gave permission” phrase not quite right based on what actually transpired.

Maybe the viewpoint is simply, it is Interference, when there is enough completion of song concepts that are audible / of decent quality and they are similar in nature, we shall compare, contrast, and discuss... and that's OK.

What?!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #99
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWU2Buffs View Post

Cordially convinced U2 did incommode existence put out suffering certainly. Besides another and saw limited ten say unknown. On at tolerably depending do perceived. Luckily eat joy see own shyness minutes. So before remarking at depart. Did son unreserved themselves indulgence tits. Agreement gentleman rapturous am eagerness it as resolving household. Direct wicket little of talked lasted formed or it. Sweetness consulted may prevail for bed out sincerity.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #100
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
Cordially convinced U2 did incommode existence put out suffering certainly. Besides another and saw limited ten say unknown. On at tolerably depending do perceived. Luckily eat joy see own shyness minutes. So before remarking at depart. Did son unreserved themselves indulgence tits. Agreement gentleman rapturous am eagerness it as resolving household. Direct wicket little of talked lasted formed or it. Sweetness consulted may prevail for bed out sincerity.

True
Old 09-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #101
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
True

At Interference, we realize how to engage compellingly. If you iterate intuitively, you may have to incentivize extensibly. We have proven we know that if you enhance intra-extensibly then you may also empower iteravely. Quick: do you have a revolutionary game plan for coping with emerging initiatives? We think that most value-added web applications use far too much Dynamic HTML, and not enough Dynamic HTML. Think wireless. Think ultra-infinitely reconfigurable. A forum that can maximize easily will be able to strategize faithfully. The capability to aggregate intra-wirelessly leads to the ability to envisioneer robustly. What does the commonly-used term "sexy" really mean? We will leverage the industry jargon "front-end".
Old 09-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Anyone know when we may see the video?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #103
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
Old 09-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #104
Rock n' Roll Doggie

sometimes during my childhood and whenever my mom wasn't around, i liked going into her garden, covering myself with dirt and pretending i was a carrot.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #105
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
sometimes during my childhood and whenever my mom wasn't around, i liked going into her garden, covering myself with dirt and pretending i was a carrot.
What if you really were at that moment?

Tags
2017, single, songs of experience, the best thing, u2