You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2 - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #76
War Child

Local Time: 07:42 AM
Hey. Heres something to be happy about. U2 didnt drop their album on the apple shit

Old 09-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #77
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
Do you like U2s music? Do you like their more experimental music or their more catchy pop tunes? Because if you think chart performance isn't directly linked to what type of music U2 decides to put out, I would say you are mistaken.

The best example I can give you is that If Pop is a commercial success, I don't think we get ATYCLB.

If they fail on the charts,I would think the next album they might say "fuck it" and do what they want and not search for a hit or perhaps they say "well that worked". Either way, the level of success influences their direction(for better or worse).
I also don't understand the fretting over chart success. It just sounds insecure to me when fans worry about this stuff. I understand that's not necessarily true, in fact had a few comments back to me on this in another thread. However it does come across as hypocritical to criticize the band for trying to make hits, then having all these conversations about how the the songs are 'performing' on the charts.

Who gives a shit about how the song performs anywhere but inside your head.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #78
The Fly

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Awake n AZ View Post
I have come around to actively listening to it, because I want to, once a day. It did not resonate on first listen, or I didn't think it did. But I kept singing the chorus. And I love the "You're the best thing about me, I'm the kind of trouble that you enjoy" lyric.

So I have come around. And while a huge U2 fan, I have plenty of holes in my listening of their catalog. I would not seek this out just because I am U2Fan#1.

So...count one more as "in". And I don't listen to current pop at all, if I can avoid it. There's something about this song that catches me. And, yeah, I can hear the hard breaks that make it seem cut and pasted, and they bug me some. It could be a better mix for sure. But I listen to it. And I see it as being a song I will listen to off and on in the future. I did not pretend like there was much off the last few albums that I would add to my rotation...I never tried to convince myself that Get On Your Boots was good, for example.

There is no consensus on this song. I imagine the style aids that...some people (usually me) will just reject a poppy radio-friendly song. But I guess I can understand why this was their first single, even if some people don't like it. My 16 and 11 year old girls love it. And they don't listen to the old man's music, as a general rule with exceptions.
Completely agree with: 1. can't get the chorus out of my head; and 2. especially the "I'm the kind of trouble that you enjoy" line. Brilliant. That said, it's not my favorite U2 song, but the songs that have been played on the radio have generally not been my favorites. (With some exceptions).
Old 09-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #79
Babyface

The irony of U2's chart performances dictating how they approach their next album (SOI going for radio baiting tunes) is that No Line On The Horizon's precise failure was due to abject radio baiting tunes. Aside from Magnificent which I think was very good (precisely because it's U2 not trying to please everyone), the others were terrible and they all dropped like a broken lift on the chart.

Boots and I'll Go Crazy are so bad - poor singles that ruined the album completely (along with soulless 'rawk' production that ruined the original concept).
Old 09-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #80
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:42 PM
KROQ in LA only plays the TBT once a day very early in the morning.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:52 PM   #81
War Child

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
What I don't get is when will we be getting the video? U2.com said subscribers would be able to see some form of visual art to go along with the single but yet nearly a week later nothing?, same goes for the details on the album, I don't get what their strategy is with this one, just when we thought they had an actual plan?.

Someone with atu2 said the video is coming this week.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:16 PM   #82
The Fly

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
Remind me why we care one way or another about U2's chart placements? Are there stock options or a pool that I'm unaware of?
Because U2 are a band that has and still does care about their charting and relevancy in the musical landscape since the mid-80s? And has been defined by that kind of domineering success in the mainstream musical landscape.

It's also kind of nice to see a band you love succeed on a commercial level, it feels almost subversive even to see them rubbing shoulders with the rest of the mainstream.

Clearly, U2 still wants to be that kind of relevant, mainstream charting single kind of band, so it only makes sense that the hardcore fans observe the metrics by which the industry and U2 typically measure success.

Bands' charting positions/mainstream success have long been a point of discussion for fanboys and fangirls since The Beatles.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:21 PM   #83
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIS View Post
Hey. Heres something to be happy about. U2 didnt drop their album on the apple shit
Actually there is a secret app for Songs of Ascent on the iPhone X.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:33 PM   #84
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIS View Post
This is truly something to be thankful for
Old 09-13-2017, 04:19 AM   #85
New Yorker

You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

https://youtu.be/YBfrA-Ub78g

Best version yet I think. Getting a lot better. The chorus is so much better when edge just sings "your" instead of the whole thing
Old 09-13-2017, 04:39 AM   #86
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
https://youtu.be/YBfrA-Ub78g

Best version yet I think. Getting a lot better. The chorus is so much better when edge just sings "your" instead of the whole thing
Yea, they're easing into it now...it's only going to get better. I'd love to hear the Kygo vocal fragments during the handclaps before Edge's vocal.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Fizz View Post
Who gives a shit about how the song performs anywhere but inside your head.
Song sells 1000 copies as opposed to, say, 100,000... someone might think "Hmmm, maybe it's me. Maybe I shouldn't record new stuff anymore."
Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I want U2 to have a hit song so maybe they stop trying so hard to have a hit song. It would be an accomplishment I don't think any band could claim. Especially if it were to get inside the top 10

So it's kind of frustrating to hear them talk about it, but their actions don't really follow through.

In the other thread, there's a rumor that French radio station will play a new U2 song on Friday. Not Best Thing
Old 09-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #89
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Or if they stop trying so hard, maybe they'll have a hit.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #90
Blue Crack Distributor

If the new album is well received, it increases the potential number of concerts on the next tour.

That's really the only reason why I don't want this cycle to be another duderoo like SOI.

Tags
2017, single, songs of experience, the best thing, u2