You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wheres the sci-fi mix from?only just got round to listening to it properly. Sounds like how I imagine the kygo version will sound

So nobody has heard this yet?

I'm listening to it. I'm from Italy, but with a VPN and Spotify is all very simple...

It's basically the same as last year version, but with updated vocals and lyrics and he kept the same synth parts from the studio version during the second verse.

The Sci Fi mix is really good, makes the song sound a tad less commercial. Almost like a b-side you'd hear from the Pop era. Re the single version, turn up Edge's guitar in the mix and give it more drive and it would have been better.

I know I'm late to the polarized opinions fest, but I've got one to share (who doesn't. All in good fun).

When I first heard some of that verse stuff in the Kygo version many moons ago, I was excited for this one. When I heard the official single release last week, I wanted to like it so badly that I would play it again and again but the song never took off for me. It's just kinda there.

I agree it has a copy/paste feel to it, but not exactly disjointed. They're still a very talented band and know how to glue pieces together.

My favorite part is the Edge singing.

There's just no drive to the song, overall. No lift-off. It comes close when Edge does his old-school chimey guitar lick, but it sounds like a crutch that the song leans on for a few seconds to make sure the die-hards don't check out. Plus, I don't know if I'm alone on this, but I kind of like when he strays from that guitar sound, lately. It's his autopilot/in-the-box go-to sound and he hasn't found an innovative way to use it in a long time. It's not just the Edge that seems to run to safety a lot; Bono's singing has been a certain style since about 2000 (on most songs) that I'm kinda over, too. Not every song you make is going to be an epic ballad or anthem. Explore the low-range once in a while or bring back the fat-lady voice now and then. I like sultry/gruff Bono. He got left in the 90s though, I guess.

Didn't mean to write a novel. I'll end it on something positive that I've gathered from the new material so far. It goes like this: Hot damn, Mr. Clayton! Are you taking control of this group or what?!

Bono's voice seems to be always front and center, so high in the mix it is jarring. I don't know why they do this other than they think the band need his overbearing voice as some type of signature sound.

It was truly awful on MOS which was a low point, but it continues on these singles... really bad.

Someone I know on Facebook had a link.

No idea why some people think this is better than the original. It's fine as a remix, but I will happily take the U2 version, thankyouverymuch.

Not quite sure what to think of this one. Back then I had biggest problem with the chorus but I've come to the conclusion that it's the verses that are the biggest problem of this song. Strangely if I was to tune into the song from about 2 minutes in from the chorus followed by the guitar and Edge's sing song part I would think 'not a bad pop song' but it's the cut and paste nature of the verses that seems to fit so unevenly with the chorus. When the chorus kicks in it's almost as if someone's tuned into another radio station and a different song.

edit: Must say that I much prefer the sci fi soul mix.

Last edited:
only one thing i prefer with the Kygo mix: the ending. I wish the single version ended with a couple "The Best Thing!" shout outs by the background vocal.

Bono's voice seems to be always front and center, so high in the mix it is jarring. I don't know why they do this other than they think the band need his overbearing voice as some type of signature sound.

I agree. The Kygo mix actually has the exact same problem (though it's pretty good overall). I love his voice, but it's often wayyy too high in the mix these days. The sci-fi mix doesn't do this and the overall sound is a lot more comfortable and nice as a result.

The Kygo mix makes a somewhat cheesy song that much cheesier....it's freaking Velveeta now. It sucks.

The Sci Fi mix is far superior.

Has anyone downloaded the Kygo mix? I'm always afraid it's a virus! But then again my SSN is now all over the world thanks to Equifax so who really gives a shit?

I just found out U2 made more videos for the last album... I somehow missed them! Man Songs of I was so good. And the new one Songs of E the 3 songs we have are awesome.

Let me put it this way, how many things in their 14th season (talking TV terms with albums) are still even watchable. U2 is the ER of bands! It was remarkably good the whole time even if things seemed familiar and maybe not as perfect as they once were.

So we have 3 versions of this song?

It's just me or the remix sounds more cohesive than the single version?
It's a really nice mix.

Keeps most of the elements alive of what I really liked from the first kygo version. Bono's voice is oddly mixed however and some parts of the lyric are just odd even still.

Here's the article U2Uruguay tweeted out: Kygo's Long-Awaited Collaboration With U2 Is Finally Dropping And It's a Must-Hear | Your EDM

New Music Friday is always full of surprises but this has to be the biggest one yet — the new Kygo and U2 collaboration is officially dropping tomorrow! Tropical house’s biggest export and the Irish rock legends might not be the most obvious pairing but it’s high time that Kygo put out a new record.

We were able to preview the track, and trust us… It’s a must-hear. Bono’s iconic vocals are certainly recognizable atop a solid guitar riff and poppy melodies while Kygo’s trademark piano comes into play as well. The minor vocal chops and final drop certainly speak to Kygo’s EDM influences, too. Compared to the original which came out just last week, Kygo’s version certainly dials up the pop and dance influences while still retaining the ballad-like emotions of the original.

Whether it’s pop or EDM, Kygo has showed in the past that he can do it all and yet again he delivers with his take on “You’re The Thing Best Thing About Me.” Check back here first thing tomorrow to listen!

There's an embed for the song on Spotify but it's not playable for me (in NYC) yet: https://open.spotify.com/album/0R531A76DKsBXpbPFxr0pX.

Wheres the sci-fi mix from?only just got round to listening to it properly. Sounds like how I imagine the kygo version will sound

The Sci Fi mix is really good, makes the song sound a tad less commercial. Almost like a b-side you'd hear from the Pop era. Re the single version, turn up Edge's guitar in the mix and give it more drive and it would have been better.

:heart: the sci fi mix - really dreamy haha

Color me wrong: Kygo mix is pretty enjoyable. Kinda cheesy for sure, but it's a fun listen.

Just finished it. No Edge? Come on, that's the best part of the song.

Last edited:
Let's be honest 99.9% of remixes are absolute garbage. Remember all the magnificent ones , beautiful day, vertigo. There all crap in my opinion. Only 3 that springs to mind that we're good was the elevation remix used on the tour, the ebttrt remix that charted higher then the original and one of the mofo remixes was great.

Ytbtam kygo mix is actually really good, as far as remixes go anyway. I like it

The remix of "lady with a spin in head" is better than the original, IMO. But as a rule, I don't acknowledge the remixes at all.

I like it a lot. Sort of seems like the plan was, or became, to really push the remix. I imagine the move might have been inspired by Coldplay's "Sky Full of Stars," way back when. Of course, that's the version on the record itself... which I do doubt will happen here.

Verse->chorus transition less choppy here, the long first chorus makes more sense/drags less, and I like the "move me to the edge" part. In general the form fits the content better--it sounds like a happy, dancey love song in 2017, whereas the album version has to fight the gravity/thrust of the classic rock guitar.

:up:

Sort of seems like the plan was, or became, to really push the remix.
:up:

not sure about this part. we are still going to get the video proper soon, and we are seeing street signage for U2's version - which has a different cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom