You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm late to the polarized opinions fest, but I've got one to share (who doesn't. All in good fun).

When I first heard some of that verse stuff in the Kygo version many moons ago, I was excited for this one. When I heard the official single release last week, I wanted to like it so badly that I would play it again and again but the song never took off for me. It's just kinda there.

I agree it has a copy/paste feel to it, but not exactly disjointed. They're still a very talented band and know how to glue pieces together.

My favorite part is the Edge singing.

There's just no drive to the song, overall. No lift-off. It comes close when Edge does his old-school chimey guitar lick, but it sounds like a crutch that the song leans on for a few seconds to make sure the die-hards don't check out. Plus, I don't know if I'm alone on this, but I kind of like when he strays from that guitar sound, lately. It's his autopilot/in-the-box go-to sound and he hasn't found an innovative way to use it in a long time. It's not just the Edge that seems to run to safety a lot; Bono's singing has been a certain style since about 2000 (on most songs) that I'm kinda over, too. Not every song you make is going to be an epic ballad or anthem. Explore the low-range once in a while or bring back the fat-lady voice now and then. I like sultry/gruff Bono. He got left in the 90s though, I guess.

Didn't mean to write a novel. I'll end it on something positive that I've gathered from the new material so far. It goes like this: Hot damn, Mr. Clayton! Are you taking control of this group or what?!

Think this is the strategy to drop the single give it two weeks then drop the remix and hope it really catches on?

Now we can talk about how terrible the "new" Kygo mix was and how they should have went with the original version. :lol:

Now we can talk about how terrible the "new" Kygo mix was and how they should have went with the original version. :lol:

Well, it seems that the original TBT version has stalled on radio already in the US, almost as if someone has pulled the plug on it to make room for the Kygo mix??

Well, it seems that the original TBT version has stalled on radio already in the US, almost as if someone has pulled the plug on it to make room for the Kygo mix??

Either that or nobody likes the song :)

I suspect some people will like it up to 1:45 and not like the rest.

Hey, a somewhat smart decision on their part to put this thing out soon after the release and maybe get it going in other circles!

Pumped to hear it as I do like it. Does it sound pretty much like the live versions he had been playing?

I'm curious to hear this so I can see what everyone was raving about, because I didn't get it from those YT clips. ;)

Looks like their going with this release then. Why no press for it though??

Not so sure on this. I mean, they said they would start to go for radio adds on 9/12, which was like a day and a half ago. I think they may be going for the slow build. Keep pressing radio to play it, expand to AC, and adult Alt, etc... then release the Kygo version for Hot AC, pop, alt...

I think the radio story isn't done yet. If we see some adds by the end of the week, then hopefully momentum will build.

Oh God, not the Kygo mix. It's not the band's work. Just leave it to the mindless, ecstasy raddled EDM crowd to listen to.

I think it sounds a little different. Might just be because it’s not a recording. But very very similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom