You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2017, 12:53 PM   #61
War Child

Local Time: 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post

This is fucking dooooooope.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #62
The Fly

Local Time: 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post

Wish they took a picture of the back as well, so I know what tools to bring.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLU2 View Post
Wish they took a picture of the back as well, so I know what tools to bring.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #64
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:14 PM
Still an ok pop song after 20 listenings... not the U2 I like though. Hopefully the album is a bit more dense and complex. It shouldn t be very hard....
Old 09-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #65
War Child

Local Time: 01:14 PM
Big hits grow slowly nowadays... no worry
Old 09-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #66
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:14 AM
I love you guys...you make me feel better with every anxious post I read...
Old 09-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Fizz View Post
TBT is not a bad song. Pretty catchy in fact.

But it's pretty amazing that the band went around for a year blaming the album delay on Trump, and this is what they give us. FFS, the song is from Page 1 of the contemporary U2 playbook. Not a whole lot different than the other recent attempts at pop (EBW, Crazy Tonight) and it even has the cheesy lyrical boxes checked off, just like those songs (with self deprecation, Bono's signature cringe point, included).
I think it might be a tad premature to writeoff the band's motives for delaying the record based solely on their first single. While I'm not expecting much in the way of direct and overt commentary on our world's political state of affairs, I do believe there will be some sort of common thread, however diaphanous it may be, permeating the album. Even then, I don't think Bono ever mentioned writing about the aftermath of the election per se, but rather his reaction to the sudden political climate shift and how it potentially shaped his responses moving forward. From the latest NYT article, he says, "I leaned more on the personal than the political, but the political is there to put the personal songs in the context of time..."

Now whether you believe all of that is up to you (personally, i think it was a contributing force but not the deciding factor; im sure there's a whole host of reasons that played a role to varying degrees)--all I'm positing is that their aforementioned reasoning isn't necessarily hogwash because of TBT's subject matter ;D
Old 09-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #68
The Fly

Local Time: 12:14 PM
Name:  IMG_3947.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  7.8 KB Looked at the back of this one in Vancouver, specialty tools required
Old 09-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #69
Refugee

Remind me why we care one way or another about U2's chart placements? Are there stock options or a pool that I'm unaware of?
Old 09-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #70
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyyjoe View Post
Attachment 11462 Looked at the back of this one in Vancouver, specialty tools required
Advertising on bike racks?
Old 09-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #71
The Fly

Yeah
Old 09-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #72
The Fly

Local Time: 05:14 AM
I have come around to actively listening to it, because I want to, once a day. It did not resonate on first listen, or I didn't think it did. But I kept singing the chorus. And I love the "You're the best thing about me, I'm the kind of trouble that you enjoy" lyric.

So I have come around. And while a huge U2 fan, I have plenty of holes in my listening of their catalog. I would not seek this out just because I am U2Fan#1.

So...count one more as "in". And I don't listen to current pop at all, if I can avoid it. There's something about this song that catches me. And, yeah, I can hear the hard breaks that make it seem cut and pasted, and they bug me some. It could be a better mix for sure. But I listen to it. And I see it as being a song I will listen to off and on in the future. I did not pretend like there was much off the last few albums that I would add to my rotation...I never tried to convince myself that Get On Your Boots was good, for example.

There is no consensus on this song. I imagine the style aids that...some people (usually me) will just reject a poppy radio-friendly song. But I guess I can understand why this was their first single, even if some people don't like it. My 16 and 11 year old girls love it. And they don't listen to the old man's music, as a general rule with exceptions.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
Remind me why we care one way or another about U2's chart placements? Are there stock options or a pool that I'm unaware of?
I think it mostly comes down to wanting to see their favorite band succeed (granted, this is U2 we're talking about, so success is relative lol). Also, by extension, people (for the most part, I believe) like having things that are special to them to be seen as special by others; it sorta enhances the enjoyment.

Take Bomb, for example--it's definitely an album that, for most of us here, isn't so great. But I'll be damned if it wasn't an exciting time to be a U2 fan (certainly moreso when compared to the band's last couple of efforts). Now I know what you're thinking: "Give me NLOTH or SoI any day if it means I'll have to listen through another Hutdab" (lol remember "hutdab"? that was a weird shorthand for that album...)--and I agree. But what I would *most* like to have is a new U2 record which I can appreciate the artistic merits of while also seeing the band as part of the "moment," where their output isn't just being heard by us enthusiasts, but also shared as part of a larger conversation that doesn't just end with, "what's a u2?"

But that's just why I, personally, can understand why someone would like to see U2 achieve at least a modicum amount of commercial success. Yeah, it's a little silly, but I get it
Old 09-12-2017, 04:05 PM   #74
Y2K
Refugee

Local Time: 07:14 AM
The band said the whole reason for putting out "Blackout" and then "The Best Thing" was to put out very contrasting pieces to show the album won't just be one thing. So good on them for doing that. I still kinda wish they made both songs singles.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #75
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post

Do you like U2s music? Do you like their more experimental music or their more catchy pop tunes? Because if you think chart performance isn't directly linked to what type of music U2 decides to put out, I would say you are mistaken.

The best example I can give you is that If Pop is a commercial success, I don't think we get ATYCLB.

If they fail on the charts,I would think the next album they might say "fuck it" and do what they want and not search for a hit or perhaps they say "well that worked". Either way, the level of success influences their direction(for better or worse).

Tags
2017, single, songs of experience, the best thing, u2