You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2 - Page 42 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2017, 01:55 AM   #616
Refugee
 
hasin73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangladesh.
Posts: 1,453
Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
We get it...you don't thing TBT is a good song. Reasonable people can disagree. But that's one song off an album we haven't heard yet...and considering their last album was well received by U2 fans it's hard to say they are not consistently releasing good music.


SOI is definitely one of the best rock album of last 5 years. To say that U2 doesn't consistently release good music is like saying James Cameron doesn't consistently deliver mind-blowing VFX in his movies.
__________________

hasin73 is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 01:58 AM   #617
Refugee
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,025
Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasin73 View Post
SOI is definitely one of the best rock album of last 5 years.
Lol

At best it might be U2's best album in the last 5 years. And yes I know what I just said there.

That's all.
__________________

AndrewCowley is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 02:13 AM   #618
Refugee
 
hasin73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangladesh.
Posts: 1,453
Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewCowley View Post
Lol

At best it might be U2's best album in the last 5 years. And yes I know what I just said there.

That's all.
I think you definitely knew what you just said there but IMHO you just didn't understand what you just said.
hasin73 is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 02:21 AM   #619
Refugee
 
kiwilad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Malmsbury Villa
Posts: 1,474
Local Time: 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yeah, people whose opinions differ from my own, get the fuck out.
Disappearing Act > Love Comes Tumbling
kiwilad is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 02:28 AM   #620
Refugee
 
kiwilad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Malmsbury Villa
Posts: 1,474
Local Time: 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
And I'm saying you're wrong. There was infighting amongst U2 fans when AB came out; why are they doing "dance electronic" music, they're abandoning their Christian values, etc. When Zooropa came out, it was why is Bono constantly talking about hip hop(it was like his use of punk today), and Numb isn't even a song it's Edge trying to rap. And then we all know about Pop. So to believe this place wouldn't be the same back then is revisionist.
Yeah. This is all very true unfortunately. In fact many U2 fans (me included) hated what U2 were doing in the 90s, and pleaded for a return to the 80s jangle. Hence Beautiful Day's chiming guitar riff being so well recieved.
kiwilad is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 02:45 AM   #621
Refugee
 
youarenotimmune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 1,787
Local Time: 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post


A U2 video/performance on the rooftop of a building? Fuck yea originality!!$$%%!!
youarenotimmune is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 03:18 AM   #622
Refugee
 
kiwilad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Malmsbury Villa
Posts: 1,474
Local Time: 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youarenotimmune View Post
A U2 video/performance on the rooftop of a building? Fuck yea originality!!$$%%!!
To be fair it's their first time this album cycle
kiwilad is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 04:58 AM   #623
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,100
Local Time: 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy Fizz View Post
I know exactly where they are. I've spent more time there than you will ever imagine.



No outrage. Just facts.


lol, why is it you all believe that your posts just magically disappear? We can still read your post. No one in their right mind reads that and thinks, oh he's just stating the facts.
BVS is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #624
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,462
Local Time: 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasin73 View Post


SOI is definitely one of the best rock album of last 5 years. To say that U2 doesn't consistently release good music is like saying James Cameron doesn't consistently deliver mind-blowing VFX in his movies.
I think most agree that SOI isn't one of the best of anything, from any period of time.

There's a reason a lot of U2 fans are dreading this album, and most of it is a result of their recent output being dreadful by U2 standards.

None of us became fans of this band to the extent that we decided to seek out an online community to discuss their songs like Volcano, Stand Up Comedy or the vast majority of their output since 2000. The band we see today are followers, playing it safe in order to have as broad of an appeal as possible. Unfortunately that's the exact opposite attitude U2 had prior to ATYCLB.

On a much more positive note, U2 are fortunate as are we, that they still have two decades of absolutely brilliant music to be proud of. How many other bands can say that?

Some of us hold on to hope that they'll snap out if this funk, but I think most who share my opinion aren't too hopeful
Zoomerang96 is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 06:28 AM   #625
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Stateless
Posts: 60,282
Local Time: 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youarenotimmune View Post
A U2 video/performance on the rooftop of a building? Fuck yea originality!!$$%%!!
That's a boat
Headache in a Suitcase is online now  
Old 09-25-2017, 06:36 AM   #626
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portugal
Posts: 498
Local Time: 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang96 View Post
I think most agree that SOI isn't one of the best of anything, from any period of time.

There's a reason a lot of U2 fans are dreading this album, and most of it is a result of their recent output being dreadful by U2 standards.

None of us became fans of this band to the extent that we decided to seek out an online community to discuss their songs like Volcano, Stand Up Comedy or the vast majority of their output since 2000. The band we see today are followers, playing it safe in order to have as broad of an appeal as possible. Unfortunately that's the exact opposite attitude U2 had prior to ATYCLB.

On a much more positive note, U2 are fortunate as are we, that they still have two decades of absolutely brilliant music to be proud of. How many other bands can say that?

Some of us hold on to hope that they'll snap out if this funk, but I think most who share my opinion aren't too hopeful
In my case in fact I'm anxious for SOE because I thought (and still think) the 2nd half of SOI is one of their best work so far. If they are still good enough to produce that kind of songs, I can expect a very good new album.
trainmaniac is online now  
Old 09-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #627
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,462
Local Time: 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainmaniac View Post
In my case in fact I'm anxious for SOE because I thought (and still think) the 2nd half of SOI is one of their best work so far. If they are still good enough to produce that kind of songs, I can expect a very good new album.
Fair enough.
Zoomerang96 is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 06:43 AM   #628
Refugee
 
youarenotimmune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Binghamton, NY
Posts: 1,787
Local Time: 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
That's a boat
Ah, well that's an improvement I guess.
youarenotimmune is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 06:56 AM   #629
The Fly
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 98
Local Time: 03:12 PM
You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomerang96 View Post
I think most agree that SOI isn't one of the best of anything, from any period of time.

There's a reason a lot of U2 fans are dreading this album, and most of it is a result of their recent output being dreadful by U2 standards.

SOI is no masterpiece but it is a solid album from any pop-rock standpoint with a few key standout tracks (SLABT would have fit well into any of the three 90s albums, if EBW were released by the band 20 years earlier it would have been a massive hit, etc...Miracle has a great groove). These are quality songs and better than a lot of what's out there in the genre today.

For a group in the twilight of their career it's a really surprisingly good work. In my 30 years as a U2 fan, I have heard the same complaints from other fans...nobody ever is happy with current U2, until 10 years later when they realize how good it was. I'd say, just enjoy it now...no band consistently matches their best work.
aviastar is offline  
Old 09-25-2017, 07:28 AM   #630
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,343
Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilad View Post
Disappearing Act > Love Comes Tumbling
Yeah you're definitely out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
That's a boat
Huh. Glad I'm not the only one who looked at it and thought "oh goody another rooftop performance".
__________________

__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now  
 

Tags
2017, single, songs of experience, the best thing, u2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com