You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2017, 09:06 AM   #46
Refugee

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
The abrupt ending is perfect for the lyric "why am I walking away", it's the first chorus to verse that needed changing.
The progression is unresolved, that's why it's frustrating. They could have ended abruptly in a more satisfying manner. As it is it just sounds like they didn't know how to end it.

The first chorus needed changing because when the same part repeated in the second chorus it had no impact. It was fatty. Unfortunately, it just sounds like they didn't know how to get back to the verse, or even to the chorus. The whole song is chorus service, and I'd say they served it badly but a chorus that terrible didn't deserve to be treated well.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 06:36 AM
The "walking away" part is fine. It's just the chorus that underwhelms me.

On a positive note, I've been listening nonstop to classic (and newer) U2 since they released this song.

Random thought: POP is a great exercise album. Try it.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 12:36 AM
Loved the song at first listen and still love it. This is easily their best first single in ages. What's actually really awesome is that I've been playing this song in my classroom and my students (age 16-18) have made numerous comments saying they like it and ask who it's by. I've taught since 2005 and this is the easily the most positive reaction I've heard from students since Vertigo, but that song was already a year old when I started teaching so many were tired of the over-exposure.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #49
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOuttaControl View Post
Loved the song at first listen and still love it. This is easily their best first single in ages. What's actually really awesome is that I've been playing this song in my classroom and my students (age 16-18) have made numerous comments saying they like it and ask who it's by. I've taught since 2005 and this is the easily the most positive reaction I've heard from students since Vertigo, but that song was already a year old when I started teaching so many were tired of the over-exposure.

Cool! I really think this song was geared towards a more general audience and not to the typical U2 fan. I'm enjoying it after not liking it initially. I am hopeful we have more "Black Out" style songs on SOE but this song isn't to shabby.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
One thing I have noticed is that I listen to virgin radio in the uk, while at work. Now this channel is a rock channel basically, they play u2 a lot. But apart from when Adam was on last week that's the only time I've heard the new single. I have it on between 7.30am and 3.30pm, I've heard the song played once. That's not good when these are the channels that will still play new u2 songs.

All the Joshua tree singles, vertigo , beautiful day are on a lot. Ive even heard discotheque played on there this week. Best things has only been played once

Down to Number 48 on the U.K. iTunes aswell

They aren't pushing it whatsoever in the UK and even in the US promo has dropped of, don't get it whatsoever
Old 09-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Having this final leg of the tour is probably what is causing confusion.

Do you promote an old album and tour to sell remaining tickets....or do you push the new single?

either way, the song will probably die on radio in the next week. and it's a shame
Old 09-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #52
Y2K
Refugee

Local Time: 01:36 AM
Why don't we get through the first full week of the song being available to radio before we panic?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennowba View Post
One thing I have noticed is that I listen to virgin radio in the uk, while at work. Now this channel is a rock channel basically, they play u2 a lot. But apart from when Adam was on last week that's the only time I've heard the new single. I have it on between 7.30am and 3.30pm, I've heard the song played once. That's not good when these are the channels that will still play new u2 songs.

All the Joshua tree singles, vertigo , beautiful day are on a lot. Ive even heard discotheque played on there this week. Best things has only been played once

Down to Number 48 on the U.K. iTunes aswell
maybe because anyone other than a happy blissfully in love couple will be going ?

(just messing, i think)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

I fail to understand why people are panicking.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #55
Refugee

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Dan smee- can u post a download for ur 1:32 clyp beach edit of Best Thing?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #56
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Having this final leg of the tour is probably what is causing confusion.

Do you promote an old album and tour to sell remaining tickets....or do you push the new single?

either way, the song will probably die on radio in the next week. and it's a shame

It's just starting to take off and gain traction on US radio. It's charting in the top 50 on 3 formats (Triple A, Alternative and Hot AC) and will chart on Active Rock any day now. It's the top add or one of the top adds on all of these formats. Of course this can all change next week and it could still fail on radio but it's showing some signs of life.

They also have the proper video that they will release and I HAVE to believe there is a marketing/promotion plan because there is a huge desire for success.

We shall see....
Old 09-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
It's just starting to take off and gain traction on US radio. It's charting in the top 50 on 3 formats (Triple A, Alternative and Hot AC) and will chart on Active Rock any day now. It's the top add or one of the top adds on all of these formats. Of course this can all change next week and it could still fail on radio but it's showing some signs of life.

They also have the proper video that they will release and I HAVE to believe there is a marketing/promotion plan because there is a huge desire for success.

We shall see....

What I don't get is when will we be getting the video? U2.com said subscribers would be able to see some form of visual art to go along with the single but yet nearly a week later nothing?, same goes for the details on the album, I don't get what their strategy is with this one, just when we thought they had an actual plan?.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
What I don't get is when will we be getting the video? U2.com said subscribers would be able to see some form of visual art to go along with the single but yet nearly a week later nothing?, same goes for the details on the album, I don't get what their strategy is with this one, just when we thought they had an actual plan?.
i don't understand this line of thought.

the way music charts, the way music is consumed and the way music is released has changed dramatically over the years.

I'm going to guess that the team in place has a better grasp on this than any of us (myself included) do.

this place is panic city about legit everything the band does.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #59
War Child

Local Time: 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prbiker15 View Post
I fail to understand why people are panicking.
People are getting really caught up in chart mania. Like, it would be nice, but I'm just happy that U2 is making music that they really seem to be enjoying.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:52 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Tags
2017, single, songs of experience, the best thing, u2