You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited for the next mix -- You're NOT the best thing about Me

So updated album tracklist so far:

Blackout
Best Thing Scifi Mix
Best Thing Kygo Mix
Best Thing Single Mix
Best Thing Album Mix
Best Thing Acoustic Mix
Best Thing Acoustic for Ally
Best Thing Jimmy Fallon Mix
Best Things That Give You Away

I like it. I don't like they played this version in the damn encore

But this style I can get behind. Shows the Edge still has a groove. Shame we don't hear it on the single version.

I normally am not a fan of U2 acoustic but this is a good one.

This acoustic version is a waste of time.

The best part of the song is it's poppy energy, and this just says all of it away.

tend to agree. the only part of the song that I like more is adding the riff from the bridge to the chorus. no idea why they didn't do that.

overall, i do enjoy the song. without having heard the rest of the album, i can't say if it was a good choice for the lead single. it'd be hypocritical of me to slam them for releasing this as the best single when I think Crazy Tonight should've been a contender for NLOTH's lead single.

not to open that can of worms, but i just don't think NLOTH had The Big Hit on it. Crazy Tonight is the poppiest and most accessible song there.

I liked EBW acoustic a lot but the rest were pretty meh

I love the EMA version. And the one for 60 minutes is pretty good too.

But live? it sucked the air out of the arena nearly every single time. They needed to bring Larry and Adam in during the middle 8 live to get the climax they were going for.

I dont mind this acoustic version, only bit im a bit meh on is Bono on the first chorus sounds like he’s trying to be too sexy, doesnt fit hahaha Other than that I like is lower range actually

I love the EMA version. And the one for 60 minutes is pretty good too.

But live? it sucked the air out of the arena nearly every single time. They needed to bring Larry and Adam in during the middle 8 live to get the climax they were going for.

I agree 100%.

While the EMA performance was great and I did like the acoustic b-side version, I LOVED the full band electric album cut. I too felt the concert version was a neutered version of a great song.

As for TBT, I hope they do not try to play this acoustically live as if SD is any reference, it will kill the song and suck the life out of the show. Like it or hate it, TBT is a pop song and should be played as such.

Just saw the video.

As some of us suspected, they had a very specific reason for wanting to film in New York...the whole video is about New York. It's not just a random city backdrop for the video. New York IS the video. And the lines from New Colossus at the end confirm the suspicions of those who thought U2 might be making a "statement" in choosing New York.

And it's a pretty, pretty, pretty good video at that. Anything that showcases how friendly and genuine these guys are, the better. They all look good, including Bono who thankfully looks healthy. A friendly, upbeat video that ultimately sends the message they want to, and one that really plays to their strengths as a band.

Last edited:
They had me until the god forsaken hand claps came in

I hated the claps in the acoustic version of The Miracle but for TBT it's not too bad. Still don't like the version at all as all of the sounds and melodies I enjoy in the song are missing but I need to give it a proper listening.

I haven't even listened to the acoustic version yet. With the possible exception of the live Staring at the Sun, all acoustic U2 sucks (I think maybe they've done one other live acoustic song I thought was sort of OK, but I can't recall it).. In fact stripped down is not a good sound for them.

I don't want to be closed minded and judge something I haven't heard, and it's possible that this song breaks the mould and I'll like it. But given that i don't like the original, I'm not optimistic.

I haven't even listened to the acoustic version yet. With the possible exception of the live Staring at the Sun, all acoustic U2 sucks (I think maybe they've done one other live acoustic song I thought was sort of OK, but I can't recall it).. In fact stripped down is not a good sound for them.

I don't want to be closed minded and judge something I haven't heard, and it's possible that this song breaks the mould and I'll like it. But given that i don't like the original, I'm not optimistic.

I like that this isn’t just B + E acoustic, like 99% of their previous efforts. This one has strings and ambiance. Pretty good effort, actually.

As acoustic versions go it's good enough let's be honest acoustic versions are normally terrible especially from u2. Remixes are normally absolutely shocking aswell but the kygo mix is good.

I'm looking forward to the handbell choir version.

Not sure I get the strategy of continually re-releasing variations of the same song so far ahead of the album release.

I actually prefer it to the single mix at the moment. It's rare we get to hear the edge play guitar and Bono isn't turned up to 11

Shame none of this could have come through on the full band

Where can I hear this acoustic version without having to sign up to spotify?

I feel like the acoustic version is missing something...like it needs more.....cowbell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom