You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion Thread #2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've listened to The Best Thing and The Blackout about the same number of times (which is many) and noticed a strange phenomenon - The Best Thing stays stuck in my head but I cannot remember how The Blackout goes without listening to it, even though I like The Blackout better. I was discussing this with my weekend roomie for the Indianapolis show this weekend, and she said the same thing. So maybe the band does know what they are doing when picking singles...

The exact same thing happened to me!! I can't remember anything about Blackout hardly!!!!

I think the Best Thing has been in my head since last year when I first heard the Kygo mix. IT IS SO DAMN CATCHY IT MAKES ME SICK!!

Yes, but it sounds like the intended original is in the opposite direction of the kygo mix -even slower and mellower. (As opposed to the direction of being more like the kygo mix)

The exact same thing happened to me!! I can't remember anything about Blackout hardly!!!!

I think the Best Thing has been in my head since last year when I first heard the Kygo mix. IT IS SO DAMN CATCHY IT MAKES ME SICK!!

Gentle reminder :Fred, Ned, Jack,and Zack.

I've listened to The Best Thing and The Blackout about the same number of times (which is many) and noticed a strange phenomenon - The Best Thing stays stuck in my head but I cannot remember how The Blackout goes without listening to it, even though I like The Blackout better. I was discussing this with my weekend roomie for the Indianapolis show this weekend, and she said the same thing. So maybe the band does know what they are doing when picking singles...

I completely agree. Past 72 hours, haven't been able to get the tune out of my mind, even though I too like The Blackout better. Let's hope it takes off.

what i always like about U2 is how they build up songs and use dynamics to really create the mood of the song. what's disappointing about the Best Thing is that they somehow forgot all of that and made this messy chorus

They do know (this time). The Blackout is the better song IMO but TBT is not for us fans. Rather it's to get mainstream appeal for non-U2 fans (IMO).

I like TBT now and it do s get stuck in your head. There is soooo much going on in that song that I like. I get why some don't like the song around here but again, it's not for us (at least that's my take)
... but do mainstream, non-U2 fans give a shit about new U2 anymore?

Last edited:
Really cannot see why people would want them to release the kygo remix.

It's embarrassing and stinks of depression on U2's part.

Everyone's mocking Coldplay for doing exactly the same thing and saying how bad their new stuff is (on here anyway) but yet want u2 to do it

Grow old gracefully, being relevant shouldn't come at all costs

So many new people saying they L-O-V-E the song that I'm starting to think some of Bono's Russian oligarch pals are paying bots to come 'round here and hype it up.

FAKE news comes to Interference. Sad!

Really cannot see why people would want them to release the kygo remix.

It's embarrassing and stinks of depression on U2's part.

Everyone's mocking Coldplay for doing exactly the same thing and saying how bad their new stuff is (on here anyway) but yet want u2 to do it

Grow old gracefully, being relevant shouldn't come at all costs
TBT is like Coldplay not, the Kygo version the single version. It's a blatant catchy pop tune by numbers, an attempt to be relevant and get in the charts. That's whats galling.

One thing I have noticed is that I listen to virgin radio in the uk, while at work. Now this channel is a rock channel basically, they play u2 a lot. But apart from when Adam was on last week that's the only time I've heard the new single. I have it on between 7.30am and 3.30pm, I've heard the song played once. That's not good when these are the channels that will still play new u2 songs.

All the Joshua tree singles, vertigo , beautiful day are on a lot. Ive even heard discotheque played on there this week. Best things has only been played once

Down to Number 48 on the U.K. iTunes aswell

The abrupt ending is perfect for the lyric "why am I walking away", it's the first chorus to verse that needed changing.

The progression is unresolved, that's why it's frustrating. They could have ended abruptly in a more satisfying manner. As it is it just sounds like they didn't know how to end it.

The first chorus needed changing because when the same part repeated in the second chorus it had no impact. It was fatty. Unfortunately, it just sounds like they didn't know how to get back to the verse, or even to the chorus. The whole song is chorus service, and I'd say they served it badly but a chorus that terrible didn't deserve to be treated well.

The "walking away" part is fine. It's just the chorus that underwhelms me.

On a positive note, I've been listening nonstop to classic (and newer) U2 since they released this song.

Random thought: POP is a great exercise album. Try it.

Loved the song at first listen and still love it. This is easily their best first single in ages. What's actually really awesome is that I've been playing this song in my classroom and my students (age 16-18) have made numerous comments saying they like it and ask who it's by. I've taught since 2005 and this is the easily the most positive reaction I've heard from students since Vertigo, but that song was already a year old when I started teaching so many were tired of the over-exposure.

Loved the song at first listen and still love it. This is easily their best first single in ages. What's actually really awesome is that I've been playing this song in my classroom and my students (age 16-18) have made numerous comments saying they like it and ask who it's by. I've taught since 2005 and this is the easily the most positive reaction I've heard from students since Vertigo, but that song was already a year old when I started teaching so many were tired of the over-exposure.

Cool! I really think this song was geared towards a more general audience and not to the typical U2 fan. I'm enjoying it after not liking it initially. I am hopeful we have more "Black Out" style songs on SOE but this song isn't to shabby.

One thing I have noticed is that I listen to virgin radio in the uk, while at work. Now this channel is a rock channel basically, they play u2 a lot. But apart from when Adam was on last week that's the only time I've heard the new single. I have it on between 7.30am and 3.30pm, I've heard the song played once. That's not good when these are the channels that will still play new u2 songs.

All the Joshua tree singles, vertigo , beautiful day are on a lot. Ive even heard discotheque played on there this week. Best things has only been played once

They aren't pushing it whatsoever in the UK and even in the US promo has dropped of, don't get it whatsoever

Having this final leg of the tour is probably what is causing confusion.

Do you promote an old album and tour to sell remaining tickets....or do you push the new single?

either way, the song will probably die on radio in the next week. and it's a shame

Why don't we get through the first full week of the song being available to radio before we panic?

maybe because anyone other than a happy blissfully in love couple will be going :yuck: ?

:lol: (just messing, i think)

Having this final leg of the tour is probably what is causing confusion.

Do you promote an old album and tour to sell remaining tickets....or do you push the new single?

either way, the song will probably die on radio in the next week. and it's a shame

It's just starting to take off and gain traction on US radio. It's charting in the top 50 on 3 formats (Triple A, Alternative and Hot AC) and will chart on Active Rock any day now. It's the top add or one of the top adds on all of these formats. Of course this can all change next week and it could still fail on radio but it's showing some signs of life.

They also have the proper video that they will release and I HAVE to believe there is a marketing/promotion plan because there is a huge desire for success.

We shall see....

It's just starting to take off and gain traction on US radio. It's charting in the top 50 on 3 formats (Triple A, Alternative and Hot AC) and will chart on Active Rock any day now. It's the top add or one of the top adds on all of these formats. Of course this can all change next week and it could still fail on radio but it's showing some signs of life.

They also have the proper video that they will release and I HAVE to believe there is a marketing/promotion plan because there is a huge desire for success.

We shall see....

What I don't get is when will we be getting the video? U2.com said subscribers would be able to see some form of visual art to go along with the single but yet nearly a week later nothing?, same goes for the details on the album, I don't get what their strategy is with this one, just when we thought they had an actual plan?.

What I don't get is when will we be getting the video? U2.com said subscribers would be able to see some form of visual art to go along with the single but yet nearly a week later nothing?, same goes for the details on the album, I don't get what their strategy is with this one, just when we thought they had an actual plan?.

i don't understand this line of thought.

the way music charts, the way music is consumed and the way music is released has changed dramatically over the years.

I'm going to guess that the team in place has a better grasp on this than any of us (myself included) do.

this place is panic city about legit everything the band does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom