You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been listening to song since dj played it a year ago. I loved that song. This one I'm afraid of. It's just like when they took "I'll go crazy" from their album and made it a dj mix on the tour. I hated that. Anyway I wanted it to be much cleaner and straight forward. But it sounds way better live. Also miss lyrics about fresh paint.

Just to rub it in, Spotify put In a Little While on straight after Best Thing. Yeah, fuck you, too.

Looks like both use the same I–V–vi–IV chords too, just with a different starting one.

Chorus to The Best Thing: G-D-A-Bm

Chorus to In a Little While: Bm-G-D-A

Let people chew on that for awhile.

They need to announce the album now, and get Blackout album version up for streaming - its not too late to try and push both...

They need to announce the album now, and get Blackout album version up for streaming - its not too late to try and push both...

Yeap... otherwise is SOI all over again. They may have a great collection of songs (SOI has them) ... that won't be enough.
What a mistake, this is frustrating.

I really like it! And this coming from someone who's soured on U2 the last few years. It doesn't sound like a mess at all to me..the song just has an arc and develops into something else by the end.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yeah, there's a good song in there but there's too much going on. Who thought this was a good mix ? It doesn't even sound like U2 which normally would be a good thing.

Why they ever felt Ryan Tedder would be a great idea to produce their songs is baffling. Or Jacknife....at least Lillywhite had some success with the band.

Please go back to Brian and Danny

I am one of their biggest apologists - they killed a decent song.

Same here. Other than Boots and a couple other examples, I've stood by them. They absolutely did kill the song. It needs to be faster, this version absolutely plods. It's like a group of Middle Aged men in a bar band playing a slow, lifeless version of "shut up and dance with me".

I live Blackout and Little Things, but this kinda sucks. Axver is right; this song was made to appeal to the masses, but this song is going to appeal to no one. It might debut at a somewhat respectable spot, but it'll drop like a rock immediately after.

There are one or two great moments in this song, but I'm honestly worried about how complicated it sounds. There's a phenomenally catchy tune here that is buried by busywork, and that's a serious shame.

I can't believe this got past any QA from producers etc. The production is beyond bad. Cut and pasted until the song is dead.

I'll give this some time, but my first impression is not good. Seems way too plodding and disjointed.

It's as though they couldn't decide whether to risk a dance/pop song or make it a rock song and ended up with a mess that is neither.

I much prefer The Blackout.

I really like it! And this coming from someone who's soured on U2 the last few years. It doesn't sound like a mess at all to me..the song just has an arc and develops into something else by the end.

I hope I warm to this position. I am probably harder on it than I should be because I had such hope after the beach clip and the Kygo mix. They have wrung all the magic from it for mine.

I actually don't mind it at all. My only gripe at the moment is that The Edge could have used some more effects on his guitar. It sounds too bland, especially at the opening of the song.

I just downloaded it on iTunes and will listen to it all day.

I hope my first impression is changed and in all fairness, I didn't care for Beautiful Day when I first heard it and now I love it....so we shall see.

I hope I warm to this position. I am probably harder on it than I should be because I had such hope after the beach clip and the Kygo mix. They have wrung all the magic from it for mine.

See, I never heard the beach clip. So maybe I lucked out there!

Remember when people used to go on about how amazing songs where on first listen and get shot down? It's mad to think some perils are going hard on this song about how crap it is, yet that is perfectly reasonable

I think about the Usenet discussions about The Fly being the worst thing ever, and the end of U2. I will wait before I move to defcon-4. I love Little Things, and really like Blackout.

Someone needs to get the Kygo mix out there. Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom