You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. This is really bad. The end of each chorus just peters out.
After 3 minutes, it's a different song entirely.

A copy and pasted mess of a song(s).

I don't think its bad, but on repeated listens you can absolutely hear all the different ideas and sections which have been kept in - some of them come up and down in the mix as the song progresses. Its hard not to come to the conclusion that this is the result of them tinkering with the song for the last age and not wanting to leave anything out.

If this had been released with some remixes earlier in the year i think it could have been one of those huge summer hits though.

Ah well guess will be giving this place a miss again for a bit, kills all positivity towards the new album [emoji106]

Perhaps the song's problems can be summarised in one lyric: "the best thing to ever happen a boy".

If you can't even get the lyric to fit the melody and just randomly cut one word to force it in, then there are clearly bigger problems too.

I need to listed to this more than 1x but my very first impression:

Not good.

Ax is right, it's all over the place and sounds almost like a jam session there is so much going on. I really liked the Blackout after the first listen and there were elements of that tune that kept me going back to it but this....I didn't get that feeling of "I need more".

I'll listen to this all day and by the end of the day I should have a proper assessment.

Ah well guess will be giving this place a miss again for a bit, kills all positivity towards the new album [emoji106]

Ahahahahaha. YOU are the one who has dragged down threads recently with your frantic pessimistic panic, and now genuine immediate reactions - from people who liked Blackout and wanted to like this - are getting you down?

Look at yourself.

Well, the kneejerk reaction to this song is quite intense. I'm definitely giving it a few more listens.

Perhaps the song's problems can be summarised in one lyric: "the best thing to ever happen a boy".

If you can't even get the lyric to fit the melody and just randomly cut one word to force it in, then there are clearly bigger problems too.

Agree entirely. That will never sound right.

After hearing the Kygo mix last year I made this comment and people said "no, it's a boy" but fuck hey just are making up sentence structures. It's like Rick and Morty Produced this song.....should have called it "Let's get Swifty"

6/10 for me. The Blackout sounds a better song.

Production better than SOI though.

Will listen on headphones before I get too down on it - just baffled about them removing the best bits in the song. The pre-chorus is impotent, and if they want radio play, they can't plod like that.

I need to listed to this more than 1x but my very first impression:

Not good.

Ax is right, it's all over the place and sounds almost like a jam session there is so much going on. I really liked the Blackout after the first listen and there were elements of that tune that kept me going back to it but this....I didn't get that feeling of "I need more".

I'll listen to this all day and by the end of the day I should have a proper assessment.

Yeah, Blackout made me want to listen again to be sure that I really did enjoy it on its merits and that this wasn't the buzz of "oooh new U2!" I played it four times straight and dug it.

Best Thing made me want to listen again just to make sure I was justified in slagging it off. And yes, after four listens, so very yes it deserves a right slagging.

Disappointed. I think I even prefer the Kygo version. This is what happened when youre unconfident and mess around with a mix too much. WTH?!

Oh man. Havent heard it yet but the reactions dont seem auspicious. I am excited by The Blackout and TLTTGYA and wasnt expecting much from TBT but was still excited because... new music.

Well, I'll listen to it as soon as I can get away from my desk and pesky coworkers

I guess this is where to post this:

Well at the risk of people thinking I made up my mind before hearing it, I'd say my prediction was spot on unfortunately. No idea what they were thinking by having that the lead single over The Blackout. It makes zero sense. On one hand you've got a fresh, up tempo rock, dance hybrid song that doesn't sound anything like what you'd expect U2 to sound like in 2016 and on the other hand you have this safe, almost uninspired, paint by numbers, meh adult contemporary type song. Is it a bad song? No. Is it a good song? Ummm.... no. It's just a song. It's absolutely B-side material compared to The Blackout and The Little Things, which would have also made a much better first single. I don't get them.

Edge's verse is pure bliss. I love it. A little overproduced, but I don't care, it's a great melody and their best single since Vertigo IMO. I just got married a week ago though, so I might be biased ;)

Dang, once again.

It could have been great...the elements were there.

Cut and paste time.

I like parts, though...especially Edge's riff at 1:10...

Interesting that the part Kygo featured maybe most, the "You move me to the Edge" bit, has entirely disappeared.

Wonder if that's what got replaced with the Edge singing "I can see you..." part, which sounds to these ears like a copy and paste "maybe it'll fit this song, idk" job.

Ryan Tedder wins again -- one step closer to total mastery of terrible 2010s pop rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom