You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
latest

Comparing Ryan Tedder to Max Martin is fucking isane - Martin has 20 years of hitmaking behind him while Tedder has, what five years and nothing close to Martin's level of success (or quality). Tedder fucking sucks as a producer and songwriter, and his band is awful. It's pathetic that U2 choose to work with him. They can work with whoever they want and choose him.

Jacknife Lee fucking blows too, while we're at it, and so does Lillywhite now. Unless they're going to re-create the War sound they should end their professional relationship with Lillywhite.

For example, would you tell Bono that a certain lyric isn't working?In the case of Bono, I'll get fairly involved. He generally writes more lyrics than he needs, so he'll have an idea of what he wants to do with a song, and he'll walk in with half a dozen pages of verses. So the thing that is helpful is if you can say, "Well, you've got this idea and that idea. Maybe you've got two separate songs here. Therefore, let's put that over here and concentrate on this idea and focus on making this bit of it work."
He needs somebody like that. Edge has been helpful, and Adam [Clayton] occasionally steps in and offers suggestions. If those people aren't around, I take that role, or Brian [Eno] will.

Fuck, I'd rather Bono work have great artists and very smart men help him with lyrics instead of Ryan Tedder, who I will just assume is...not on the same level, intellectually and artistically, as Bono.

I'm really happy that, in the early days, U2 chose to work with Lillywhite and Eno instead of whoever the hitmaker was. Before they settled on Eno in 84 they wanted to work with Colin Newman from Wire and Conny Plank, the great Krautrock producer and sonic genius. That illustrates how their motivation has changed more than anything else.

If they wanted a more live sound then Paul Epworth would have been a good choice. The new Thurston Moore record sounds great. But Lillywhite....ffs!

I thought U2 was supposed to be an ambient/atmospheric/artsy/avant-garde band instead? :scratch:
My point is that what U2 are NOT supposed to be is Beyonce, OneRepublic or Adele.

Not that there's anything wrong with Beyonce or Adele... there's a place for them, and they are both brilliant artists... but that's not where U2 should be.

And I'm not one of the "omg u2 need to expermient again, everything post Pop is rubbish" guys. I love atyclb and bomb, and have a strong liking of select tracks from the other two albums as well. Passengers Part 2 would annoy me just as much as trying to be like OneRepublic does.

I remember reading/hearing this as well. Pride was specifically conceived the be the "hit single" for UF.

Hmmmmm. I vaguely recall hearing this as well....I might have seen it in a video on the making of the record.

But I'm not sure if it was conceived as a hit single, or if the band simply recognised its potential to be.

Hmmmmm. I vaguely recall hearing this as well....I might have seen it in a video on the making of the record.

But I'm not sure if it was conceived as a hit single, or if the band simply recognised its potential to be.

You're recollection is correct...I don't think Eno 'hated' it...(that's referring to WTSHNN)...but I'm not sure it was his favorite song on UF.

Whatever, they made a great song and saw the potential for a hit single...:yes:

TBT is not a bad song. Pretty catchy in fact.

But it's pretty amazing that the band went around for a year blaming the album delay on Trump, and this is what they give us. FFS, the song is from Page 1 of the contemporary U2 playbook. Not a whole lot different than the other recent attempts at pop (EBW, Crazy Tonight) and it even has the cheesy lyrical boxes checked off, just like those songs (with self deprecation, Bono's signature cringe point, included).

Maybe the rest of the album will deliver the punch that they have implicitly promised since their little world was shaken by Hillary's ignominious defeat, Brexit etc. But this song is just... not it.

But it's pretty amazing that the band went around for a year blaming the album delay on Trump, and this is what they give us.

Maybe the rest of the album will deliver the punch that they have implicitly promised since their little world was shaken by Hillary's ignominious defeat, Brexit etc. But this song is just... not it.

What jumps out at me is I thought "Trump" delayed the album too but he was elected on 11/7(or there about) and You're the Best Thing was set to be released on 9/23....so they made the decision well before Trump was elected/Hillary lost(at least 2 months prior).

Perhaps Brexit was the main driver? Also, the plan was to release YTBT and then the world change and was a different place, so they waited a year and released....YTBT?

What am I missing here?

I don't think it was Trump. It could have been Brexit as that was in late June but while that was a shock was it world changing enough to make them look at the album and question if it's right to release? Maybe I guess but I think Trump was more of a convenient reason than The June Brexit vote.

You're recollection is correct...I don't think Eno 'hated' it...(that's referring to WTSHNN)...but I'm not sure it was his favorite song on UF.

Whatever, they made a great song and saw the potential for a hit single...:yes:

I don't recall ever reading that Eno hated Streets, either. He just thought the band was wasting too much time on it, and the best way to move forward was to just erase it.

Anywho... Why is this thread still open.

giphy.webp

What jumps out at me is I thought "Trump" delayed the album too but he was elected on 11/7(or there about) and You're the Best Thing was set to be released on 9/23....so they made the decision well before Trump was elected/Hillary lost(at least 2 months prior).

Perhaps Brexit was the main driver? Also, the plan was to release YTBT and then the world change and was a different place, so they waited a year and released....YTBT?

What am I missing here?

I don't think it was Trump. It could have been Brexit as that was in late June but while that was a shock was it world changing enough to make them look at the album and question if it's right to release? Maybe I guess but I think Trump was more of a convenient reason than The June Brexit vote.

If you listen back to the Edge's radio interview with the Edge in Toronto, he says the album was planned to be released in Q4 2016. According to U2 songs, "The Best Thing" was gonna be released on Sept 23, 2016 and the album on Oct 31, 2016. However, according to that radio interview with the Edge, they noticed a shift in global politics to the right and decided the tone of the album wasn't right for the times. So, yes, Trump hadn't been elected yet by the time they decided to postpone last year, but the tenor of politics was shifting that way, particularly with Brexit.

What am I missing here?

Where is the 9/23 date coming from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom