You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion - Page 94 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2017, 03:11 PM   #1396
Y2K
Refugee

Local Time: 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
What jumps out at me is I thought "Trump" delayed the album too but he was elected on 11/7(or there about) and You're the Best Thing was set to be released on 9/23....so they made the decision well before Trump was elected/Hillary lost(at least 2 months prior).

Perhaps Brexit was the main driver? Also, the plan was to release YTBT and then the world change and was a different place, so they waited a year and released....YTBT?

What am I missing here?

I don't think it was Trump. It could have been Brexit as that was in late June but while that was a shock was it world changing enough to make them look at the album and question if it's right to release? Maybe I guess but I think Trump was more of a convenient reason than The June Brexit vote.
If you listen back to the Edge's radio interview with the Edge in Toronto, he says the album was planned to be released in Q4 2016. According to U2 songs, "The Best Thing" was gonna be released on Sept 23, 2016 and the album on Oct 31, 2016. However, according to that radio interview with the Edge, they noticed a shift in global politics to the right and decided the tone of the album wasn't right for the times. So, yes, Trump hadn't been elected yet by the time they decided to postpone last year, but the tenor of politics was shifting that way, particularly with Brexit.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #1397
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoKramer View Post
What jumps out at me is I thought "Trump" delayed the album too but he was elected on 11/7(or there about) and You're the Best Thing was set to be released on 9/23....so they made the decision well before Trump was elected/Hillary lost(at least 2 months prior).

Perhaps Brexit was the main driver? Also, the plan was to release YTBT and then the world change and was a different place, so they waited a year and released....YTBT?

What am I missing here?

I don't think it was Trump. It could have been Brexit as that was in late June but while that was a shock was it world changing enough to make them look at the album and question if it's right to release? Maybe I guess but I think Trump was more of a convenient reason than The June Brexit vote.
Where is the 9/23 date coming from?

Old 09-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #1398
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Where is the 9/23 date coming from?
See the post above...follow the U2songs.com link...
Old 09-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #1399
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Thee Dog View Post
See the post above...follow the U2songs.com link...

Yeah, I think we were posting at the same time

Thank you

Tags
2017, single, songs of experience, the best thing, u2