You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe this thread . Damnit! Everyone relax. They chose the wrong first single 3 times in a row now. You don't know that! I don't care who you are. I don't know that. There's at minimum 8 goddamn songs in this album that we haven't a clue about. So everyone calm down! You are obviously entitled to whatever first impression of this or any song you want. But it's way too early to call it complete shit or to say it will burn up the airwaves it's so great.

All I know is I like it. It's catchy, the lyrics aren't bad, I don't get the plodding argument at all and this, at least on my 3 listens, breaks some new ground. For U2 and In general.

Sigh...

It's not the worst thing in the world... but it's again a failure of this band to read the tea leaves.

They see how great the reception to JT30 is, and they respond with this schlocky sappy whatever. U2 by Ryan Fucking Tedder. It's infuriating, especially when we've heard other songs from the album.

The song is fine, but it is again U2 chasing something that is never coming back rather than embrace their status as elder statesmen of rock, and not give a fuck about trying to sound "accessible" to the "kids."

Fuck. I was afraid of this. Little Things was the way to go.

After a few listens now I kina like it! The only problem I have is that it seems so all over the place. But the drums are pretty cool! I don't get all the hate though lol. I read this forum before I listened to it and I was like oh crap this must be a total shit song lol.

Same, the hate really baffled me, and can't get my head around people enjoying the kygo version over it

Let this be the last grasp/gasp for "radio relevance" ever from this band. The Blackout, which I don't love, nonetheless sounds like the confidence of a completely different band.

I genuinely want to know what U2 would need to release for Rolling Stone to be anything less than gushingly enthusiastic.

That's nonsense. I'm not using poetic license to defend it, you guys are using prescriptivist notions of 'correct grammar' to attack it. Like the lyric or not, there shouldn't be anything wrong with messing with the argument structure of a verb to make a cute little pun.

...it's not a pun. How the hell is it a pun? And it's not being prescriptivist to point out that a key line of the chorus is clunky and cumbersome. It's just a shit lyric mate.

Here's a scary thought, what if the live mix of Blackout is horribly cut up for the album version :-0

Interestingly, the initial post on U2's FB page about the song was deleted and then re-posted straight away, seemingly identical. But it did erase a ton of negative comments.
To each their own, I like it

After a few listens now I kina like it! The only problem I have is that it seems so all over the place. But the drums are pretty cool! I don't get all the hate though lol. I read this forum before I listened to it and I was like oh crap this must be a total shit song lol.

Yeah I know. It's actually a really good song.

I can't believe this thread . Damnit! Everyone relax. They chose the wrong first single 3 times in a row now. You don't know that! I don't care who you are. I don't know that. There's at minimum 8 goddamn songs in this album that we haven't a clue about. So everyone calm down! You are obviously entitled to whatever first impression of this or any song you want. But it's way too early to call it complete shit or to say it will burn up the airwaves it's so great.

All I know is I like it. It's catchy, the lyrics aren't bad, I don't get the plodding argument at all and this, at least on my 3 listens, breaks some new ground. For U2 and In general.

How DARE you speak sense in these parts!!

Too many parts in U2 songs these days. Remember "Bad"? Two chords for 6 minutes. They should try riding a groove for longer than 25 seconds.

And this is how you know they're chasing radio relevance by just copying what they hear. I'm reminded of one of those shitty Avicii songs I never bothered to even get the name of, where you'd have a verse in one style and then some club bangin' chorus come in.

Once upon a time U2 went where the music took them and the brilliance of what they brought back made them legends - they weren't seeking to fit into chart radio with Bad or With or Without You or whatever and look how far that took them. Those songs remain fresh and exciting three decades down the track. No way will Best Thing. :lol:

This song will do well in the waiting rooms of medical offices all across the country....and malls, elevators, etc.

Seriously, it's okay. Good sign that it's stated to be the pop song of the album. Adam's bass sounds good at least.

Sigh...

It's not the worst thing in the world... but it's again a failure of this band to read the tea leaves.

They see how great the reception to JT30 is, and they respond with this schlocky sappy whatever. U2 by Ryan Fucking Tedder. It's infuriating, especially when we've heard other songs from the album.

The song is fine, but it is again U2 chasing something that is never coming back rather than embrace their status as elder statesmen of rock, and not give a fuck about trying to sound "accessible" to the "kids."

Fuck. I was afraid of this. Little Things was the way to go.
The irony is The Blackout would've made a kickass lead single and would have also been much more accessible to the kids than this soccer mom song. I can't get past the wimpy, boring, chorus that drags on and on. It's crap.

By the way, remember how Boots was one of those lead singles played every night of the tour supporting it, and then ditched, never to be seen again?

Watch that happen to Best Thing.

Really boring song..........from the intro and Bono starts singing I could imagine it would fit Chris Martin singing perfectly........and that's not a good thing.... Then it looks like a copy paste of different stuff......Those synths are terrible....

Another one to forget....disappointing after I thought The Blackout was a quite cool song.

By the way, remember how Boots was one of those lead singles played every night of the tour supporting it, and then ditched, never to be seen again?

Pretty sure it'll happen to Miracle too. They really know how to pick 'em!

Unless they totally change it Best Thing may be a very forgettable moment to be seen live...

Unless they totally change it Best Thing may be a very forgettable moment to be seen live...

Yeah if they play it as a closer like they did with Little Things, it might be time to get out and beat the traffic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom