You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if I'd never heard these melodies before my first impressions would be better. They are nice melodies. It's the production and tempo that's letting this down, IMO.

I like it a lot. It's a million times better than Miracle and Boots. I really like the second half of the chorus, really makes it come alive.

Will need more listens, but I'm shocked at all the negativity - although that is the internet age we live in.

The Miracle and Boots sounded like old men trying to be cool, but I don't get that impression with this one nearly as much, it sounds more like actual U2 than attempted youthful rock.

Are we getting 2 singles before the album release? Can someone explain to me what's going on?

And why did edge scrap the funky chorus riff that's in the Kygo version in favor of this plucky thing? That riff was the best part... :doh:

That "Hitler in the bunker" meme, where he's told that U2 chose The Best Thing over The Blackout as the lead single.

That moment at 1:19 seems like a proper copy/paste job. I'm assuming that the missing lyric was "save me from myself".

Prediction; The front-loaded singles will be the worst tracks on the album. The most interesting stuff will be heard on the 2nd half.

The Blackout and TBT are two totally different songs and IMO they are both awesome. I'm not sure which one I like better yet. Will have quite a few more listens tomorrow but at the moment I love them both equally :heart:

This is what happens when U2 spend two years tinkering with songs that are already completed.

I've still only listened once, but I really loved it. Glad all the lyrics I liked from the Kygo remix made it in, though "the best thing that ever happened a boy" is a little puzzling but i'll deal with it. The melody is great imo and it'll be a catchy tune for non fans to hopefully grab onto, for a short while at least. It's not going to hit the heights that they're hoping for, but I'm not fussed about that!

Looking forward to playing it again in the car shortly!

If you have to fall back on "poetic licence" to defend a lyric, it's shit. Unusual sentence structures made with poetic licence explain themselves. They make people say "hey that's cool/quirky/interesting" or whatever, not "wow what a whopper of an error".

That's nonsense. I'm not using poetic license to defend it, you guys are using prescriptivist notions of 'correct grammar' to attack it. Like the lyric or not, there shouldn't be anything wrong with messing with the argument structure of a verb to make a cute little pun.

I hope the reason they put out Blackout was to reassure Best Thing wasn't representative of the album.

I love the reactions... this means this song will actually do well on the radio[emoji106]

This is what happens when U2 spend two years tinkering with songs that are already completed.

So true. The albums they generally spend the shortest time working on usually have the best mix and production. Zooropa for example.

Too many parts in U2 songs these days. Remember "Bad"? Two chords for 6 minutes. They should try riding a groove for longer than 25 seconds.

About five listens in, seriously don't get the hate, not as good as the blackout but still better than miracle and boots

After a few listens now I kina like it! The only problem I have is that it seems so all over the place. But the drums are pretty cool! I don't get all the hate though lol. I read this forum before I listened to it and I was like oh crap this must be a total shit song lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom