You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember thinking that BD wouldn't be a hit, and I took great pleasure in being proved wrong over the next year. Hopefully that's how this song will be. The production is awful.

It’s a shame because they chase this hit.... but know one will pay attention and then the fans suffer haha I want something that sounds like U2 not copy paste generic sound. Like if it didn’t sound like U2 because it was a new sound or something that’s cool

Remember when people used to go on about how amazing songs where on first listen and get shot down? It's mad to think some perils are going hard on this song about how crap it is, yet that is perfectly reasonable

De gustibus non est disputandem.

Love it if you do, and be proud of it. Stop caring so much whether other people do or don't.

The first 53 seconds of the song music wise and tempo wise are pretty good as it teases something bigger and better and then the god awful chorus kicks in.

I can get into the verses but the chorus is fucking horrid and The Edge's cliche wimpy guitar chimes ala I'll Go Crazy absolutely suck and make it sound like he's just parodying himself.

I even like the little transition from 2:46 - 3:02 but from 3:03 on to the end it's just awful.

Honestly, first impression is not good. They over cooked the hell out of it.

Should have just taken the Kygo mix, made the transitions a little smoother, and you have a fun, dancy, catchy hit. It would have fit in with modern tastes and gotten good buzz towards the rest of the album.

I will say it's interesting to hear a few different versions of this song all in the same mix... but it's still shite.

It's a "This Is" (Aslan) - "Ordinary Love" mix up.

Nothing more.
Nothing less.

I think about the Usenet discussions about The Fly being the worst thing ever, and the end of U2. I will wait before I move to defcon-4. I love Little Things, and really like Blackout.

Someone needs to get the Kygo mix out there. Now.

This.

We need time to let it soak a bit before we go full hate on it. Hell, I've only listened to it 1x and by the end of the day I will likely hit 50x (no joke).

I loved SOI, I really like The Blackout (bee to hear the studio cut before I say I "love it"), Little Things sounds cool but TBT just didn't sit well with me for some reason.

This is one where Bono and Edge can go ahead and release a simple acoustic version. It would be far better.

I thought today would've started out better...

:sad:

edit: not that I think it's terrible, but certainly feeling a little let down (then again, I felt that way about "The Miracle" initially as well... but then again, I still feel that way about "The Miracle").

First "Twin Peaks," and now this... :rant:

Last edited:
It’s a shame because they chase this hit.... but know one will pay attention and then the fans suffer haha I want something that sounds like U2 not copy paste generic sound. Like if it didn’t sound like U2 because it was a new sound or something that’s cool

u2 from the Unforgettable Fire era would be ashamed of today's u2. You are pushing 60 guys, forget about chasing the hits and just try to make great music.

There are one or two great moments in this song, but I'm honestly worried about how complicated it sounds. There's a phenomenally catchy tune here that is buried by busywork, and that's a serious shame.

Very well said. Captures my feelings perfectly.

To be fair, I have no idea who he is, but his remix has a structure, emphasises the hooks, and isn't cluttered. Three things it has over this version.

I had no idea who Kygo was either until that came out but his version/mix is infinitely better than this piece of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom