You're the Best Thing About Me - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He left out the word "to" a boy to make it flow better. So to me that's how I am interpreting the meaning.

But that is "convenience license" to just assume what he meant. Wasn't the previous argument that it meant someone else to Bono?

I'm not saying you can't enjoy it, but there's a difference between overlooking a flaw because the good outweighs the bad, and trying to explain the flaw with cracked logic.

And of words to drop why the hell did he drop the word 'to' and not 'a' at least "happened to Boy" could've been some play on words with the album Boy and even if not it sounds a hell of a lot better than "happened a boy"
yeah, I take it to be a reference to the person he was when they recorded Boy

Is that what we're saying now? That these lyrics are OK because poetic license?

Well i think the lyrics should go a lìttle like this:

You're the best thing about me...Fred
The best thing that ever happened to Ned
You're the best thing about me Fred
I'm the kind of trouble that Zach enjoys
The best things are easy to destroy Jack
The best thing about me Fred

But that is "convenience license" to just assume what he meant. Wasn't the previous argument that it meant someone else to Bono?

I'm not saying you can't enjoy it, but there's a difference between overlooking a flaw because the good outweighs the bad, and trying to explain the flaw with cracked logic.

Yep, and it could mean something else to Bono. Who knows lol. I still love the song so..yeah

This song is growing on me fast, can't get the damn chorus out of my head.

The boy lyric sounds fine to me

It can only make sense in three contexts:

a) joined to the previous line - "the best thing that ever happened a boy" - fail.
b) joined to the next line - "a boy you're the best thing about me" - fail.
c) independently - "A boy." Fail.

Poetic license doesn't exist to allow songwriters to flub a line that makes no sense and have a nonsensical excuse.

It's the dative object. He skips 'to' like you would in German or Latin, but it still means 'to' a boy.

ITunes single chart in Czech Republic TBT is no. 1 right now.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

"A boy" is dative, not "to".

But is your argument Bono wrote the song in Latin, and then couldn't. E arsed fixing it once he'd translated it?

No but maybe he saw the phrasing in reading Rilke in translation or something. Or some German fan or whoever told him how German grammar works, and he ran with it. I'm not sure but it doesn't sound implausible to me :)

Still loving this song. A few notes...
Bono singing good but very high. The song being a semitone lower might have sounded better.
The verses and chorus are a semitone apart which might be why they seem jarring.
This song reminds me of Miracle Drug, especially with the whole "Edge singing a verse then straight back into the chorus and abrupt end" thing.

Last edited:
They broke up weeks ago.
giphy.gif

What it means maybe personal to Bono or the band. Fans can interpret it for how they want to. There are lyrics in most songs not just U2 that have different interpretations and meanings and don't make sense to listeners. One prime example is the lyric "dancer" in The Killers song Human. I think people are just overreacting. It sounds perfect to me and flows well.
Except the are we human or are we dancer line was also fucking stupid

No but maybe he saw the phrasing in reading Rilke in translation or something. Or some German fan or whoever told him how German grammar works, and he ran with it. I'm not sure but it doesn't sound implausible to me :)
Here, I'll help.

The line is stupid on its own and makes zero grammatical sense. It's also one of those stupid lines that some marketing idiot at Live Nation will think is cute and put on a t-shirt on the next tour, which is infuriating to think about because you know it's true. But I like the song and it doesn't bother me when I hear it, because the whole outweighs the sum of the parts.

There. There's your answer.

This is from Edge on a Spanish radio show. Do you think Bono had a real health scare recently?

"Yes, this song is very good.We began to devise a melody, I composed a piece of music that has certain influences of the joy that has Motown music.Because for us the most important thing to resist in life is joy and positivism.Bono was writing the lyrics and his life went through a very important personal challenge.He was not sure how long he was going to stay between us.It was quite serious, so many of our lyrics are personal messages to important people in your life.This was a song for his dear Ali.These are pretty tough personal issues.And that's the power of the song.This song is beautiful and cheerful and with a very magical and very emotional lyrics. "

Here, I'll help.

The line is stupid on its own and makes zero grammatical sense. It's also one of those stupid lines that some marketing idiot at Live Nation will think is cute and put on a t-shirt on the next tour, which is infuriating to think about because you know it's true. But I like the song and it doesn't bother me when I hear it, because the whole outweighs the sum of the parts.

There. There's your answer.

:up:

This is about the worst way to bolster an argument that a song is good. So what, if it wasn't doing OK on iTunes, that would mean it sucks? Some people like the song, some people don't (I think it's a terrible lead single), fair enough. But blipping on iTunes (OF COURSE a new U2 song is going to make splash) isn't exactly an endorsement of quality, or even really long term popularity.

I went back and looked...there was an entire thread of people celebrating how well Boots was doing on iTunes. So there's that.

lol I was making a joke because I found that blip really funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom